I normally write good reviews because I follow the advice of tripadvisor members and have been seldom lead astray. This time, I have a mixed review. This may be partially do to the fact that I recently read a book talking about taking ownership and having exceptional service. I am now noticing how service is not often given.
For starters it is a lovely home and the room was spacious with a large Jacuzzi tub. They do have the nice Apple TV with movies for free etc. We stayed in room 219.
The disappointment are as follows:
1) We are used to a traditional B&B where the breakfast is hot and something to look forward to. For example, we recently stayed at the Legacy Inn in Williamsburg and it was wonderful. Here, the breakfast is in a mini-fridge to be heated in the microwave. In addition, they offer French toast for an additional $5.95 per person (mind you we paid $199.00 for the night). Problem here is that we needed to leave by 8:45 AM. The innkeeper/owner, said the hot breakfast was only offered from 9:30-10:30. When we expressed our disappointment, he said, sorry – “I can only work 12 hours a day”. Please note that in the inn information located in the room, it stated the hot breakfast could be served from 8:30-10:30.
2) The room: the bed was nice and TV nice, but the thermostat was broken (with a sticky note on it) so instead, there were 3 space heaters throughout the room. This is February – so cold. There is a fireplace but a charge of $12.00 for it’s use. Seems to me, a 5-star B&B would a) fix the thermostat or b) throw in the fireplace for free.
3) Jacuzzi – was nice size but missing the shower head so a pipe stuck out near the faucet – odd we thought.
4) This is minor - but we couldn't find any shampoo - not sure if we just didn't look in the right place.
Overall – the innkeepers attitude over the breakfast is reason enough for us to stay elsewhere. This is not a B&B – it is an Inn. We stayed there about 3 years ago when it was under a different name and in our opinion – it was better 3 years ago.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Two adjacent 1887 & 1895 Historic Register Victorian houses. In your room: beautiful antiques, 2-person jacuzzi with bubble bath, candles, & rubber ducky, King bed, TV/VCR/DVD with 450-plus movie library, stereo, phones, fast internet, coffee/tea maker, microwave, mini-refrig, make-up mirror, iron, hair dryer, robes. Full breakfast in room. Nautilus Exercise Room, Billiard Room. Wine/champagne/beer. Fine dining, pubs, park, & antique shops one to two blocks away. Near downtown. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Summit Winston Salem
- Winston Salem Summit