“Nice meal, good experience”
Review of River Birch Lodge

River Birch Lodge
Ranked #32 of 659 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Mountain Casual Dining in the heart of Winston-Salem! Serving lunch, dinner, weekend brunch. A family friendly neighborhood bar, catering and delivery too! PRIVATE DINING is available in The Canoe Room for parties up to 30.
Clifton Park, NY
“Nice meal, good experience”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Went here during my daughters grad weekend in May. Had a reservation for 9 of us. Table was ready right on time on a busy night. Food was good and our server was attentive. My only knock at all was that it's a very loud place because of the high ceilings and our waiter spoke so softly! It was quite hard to understand him. We had a few miscommunications because of this. All in all, it was a good experience and food was delicious. Desserts here are yummy so save room!

• Visited May 2014

Mocksville, North Carolina
“Did not meet expectations”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We visited River Birch for the first time this Mother's Day. We had a party of 9 with reservations. The manager seated us on a private patio just off the bar which was perfect! However the seating location was about the only really good thing about our experience. Our waitress was also the bartender. She was very friendly but did not come by nearly often enough. Everyone in our group was without drinks at two different times. Food runners brought our food out in sections...three folks had food and it was at least another 5 minutes before the other dishes were brought out. All in all the process was very slow. We sat down to eat at 6:15pm and did not leave until 8:30pm. The food was just average. I don't think we will return.

• Visited May 2014
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Would be great if food matched the service”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Two recent experiences show the food to be unequal to the service.

First experience was stopping by with wife to get a cocktail one evening. I wanted to sit at the bar, but it seemed that pulling out the high chairs would block the walk way through the bar and put us uncomfortably close to the row of tables in there. So we chose to sit at one of those same tables and, of course, we had the to-be-expected related problem. Not sure what the architect was thinking.

That said, the cocktails we had were good and the server was enthusiastic in recommending and delivering them. In a nice touch, my wife got an extra mini-carafe for her cocktail since the bartender (who may have also been the server -- I never did figure that out) made more than what fit in her glass. That was the highlight right there, though. I saw on the snack menu truffle fries. Perfect for 9:30p on a Tuesday. Fatty starch infused with earthy truffle and topped with salty parmesan cheese to go along with our drinks. When the server brought the dish to the table, we could smell it coming. Good sign. But sadly, that too was the highlight. The fries did indeed come with parmesan cheese. Not fresh shaved or shredded parmesan cheese, but dry grated parmesan cheese. Think Kraft. And too much of it at that. Just awful.

My second visit was for lunch. Since I wasn't paying I decided to skip over the burgers, which I've heard good things about, and opted for the duck. I was not asked how I liked it cooked, which was just as well since I would have just said whatever the chef recommends. But after it came out I wish I was asked because I would have responded "properly." The duck did not have a great sear on it, so the fat in the skin was not adequately rendered. This combined with the duck being slightly undercooked on the inside to make a kind of soft, chewy mess. Perhaps it was my fault for ordering duck at this kind of restaurant, but, hey, if you're going to put it on the menu, then do it right.

Two stars here relates only to the food. In both of these cases, the service was excellent. I just wish those great servers had better food to serve.

• Visited April 2014
Yadkinville, North Carolina
“Good Choice”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Good food, good service, and really nice atmosphere. Consistent. Staff are personable and knowledgeable about the menu options. Nice patio area to dine outside when the weather is good. Good variety on the menu and you don't have to break the bank.

• Visited April 2014
Lewisville, North Carolina, United States
“Great Atmosphere, Good Food”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

You don't have to head to the mountains to get a touch of upscale rustic dining. A slightly pricey menu, but has something for everyone, and the quality is good and portion sizes generous. Service is generally excellent. This is our go to special occasion spot.

1 Thank Mike J