“First Time Brunch at Midtown”

Midtown Cafe & Dessertery
Ranked #7 of 28 Dessert in Winston Salem
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Fun Food Made From Scratch! Breakfast All Day. 28 Desserts. Lunch. Comfort Food Dinners. Craft Beer & Wine List.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

First of all we had to wait 10 minutes for our waitress to come to our drink order. My wife ordered the ham scramble with eggs but did not want pancakes and ask for another side. She chose a English muffin but was not given grits or hash browns as an option along with her bread choice. None of the meals come with that option. Her meal was 7.95. I ordered a ham omelette with the pancakes. The omelette was small with very small ham pieces. The pancakes were good. My meal was 9.95. We bought 2 large pizzas for less than our total at Midtown from a great pizza restaurant for dinner. I think Midtown is over priced for the amount of food you receive. Most breakfast menus offer some type of traditional sides along with various bread options, especially at these prices. Not sure about lunch and dinner menu options but breakfast is overpriced for the amount of food you receive. Maybe the best choices are pancakes, pastries and French toast?

Reviewed 10 May 2014

While the food was decent the service was not. After visiting the restroom with my 4 yr old we found the soap dispenser was empty. I reported this to an employee behind the cake counter who was NOT busy. She told me I'd have to wait she didnt know how to change it nor did she immediately get someone that could. 10 mins later when we up and left there was still no soap!!!. Prob won't be going back.

1  Thank LeslieM1683
Scott G, Manager at Midtown Cafe & Dessertery, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

I am so very sorry that you had this experience at our restaurant this past weekend. We always take great care when it comes to all aspects of our establishment, especially those concerning cleanliness and sanitation. As the manager on duty on the evening mentioned, I want to personally apologize. As soon as it was brought to my attention that the soap in the ladies room was empty, I made sure it was refilled as promptly as possible. Management always addresses these important matters with all staff members, and I assure you this is not a common occurrence. Thank you for your comments, as they can only help us to continue to improve and better serve our customers. We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

My wife and I enjoyed lunch at Midtown after a long morning after just happening upon the place and were quite pleasantly surprised. The menu is extraordinary. It was hard to pick just one thing - but I went with French toast and it was incredible. My wife had a salmon wrap that was quite large and she really liked it. Outside seating was nice on a perfect spring afternoon. We hope to be back soon.

1  Thank David G
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Is it bad no, but was it good "oh yes".
It is unfortunate that Midtown is no longer the shining example of breakfast eateries that it once was. It looks feels and is dated, and not in a good way like some institutions. It is tired. I remember coming here over 20 years age with friends, when the place was alive and bustling. I am not a young man by any means, and normally I am sentimental and nostalgic for established well run institutions, but despite it being acceptable, something about the place was making me sad. Like a seniors rest home, or the waiting room at the hospital. I suppose at my age still being the youngest in the place, including all the visible staff, may have had something to do with this.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Been here twice - both times for lunch. Good.....not great.....and a bit pricey for what you get. Excellent "Stratford" sandwich..."ok" omelet (minimal and plain). Supposedly known for their desserts.....but nothing special (Village Tavern is best!)

All in all....a bit overhyped.....but you could do much worse!