“Great Food Good Prices Friendly Staff”

Mountain Fried Chicken
Ranked #270 of 691 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Price range: US$3 - US$9
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I eat at the location on University Parkway more often than Akron Drive. The food is always fresh and the side selection is very plentiful. The food is in front of you (under glass), which makes selection easy. The coleslaw is obviously kept in a cold area out of site but make sure you order it if you like coleslaw. It's great. The chicken is very good and the wings are great. The chicken tenders are made to order and would be my recommendation. I tend to get a two piece dinner with three sides. The potato wedges, baked beans, slaw, pinto beans, greens, corn on the cob and mashed potatoes are some of my favorite side orders. The peach cobbler sells extremely well and seems to be a customer favorite. The fountain drinks always taste fresh and I have never been served a flat drink. The tea is great as well. The staff is efficient and friendly. Texas Pete, a local company, supplies the sauces for the wings and tenders. Consistently excellent.

1  Thank will295000

Reviewed 23 June 2014

While this restaurant may not look like much, it provided excellent fried chicken and other goodies. If you like southern cooking, you'll love the menu at Mountain Fried Chicken. Hot food, fast service.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

You will be deceived if you go there! The place will trick to your senses. Why smell fresh fried crispy chicken only to be served old tuff wet breaded chicken that's just waiting to eat you. I go to various chicken joints quite frequently, I Love fried chicken! But boy mountain fried has let me down, they just waste to much chicken waiting to eat its customers, I remember around '94 or '96 mountain fried off university used to sit back in the corner of the woods where there's a CVS there now. But my point is Then! Is when me and family got hooked right there it was a little wood building with lines out the door! It wasn't a craze, I knew then those people in that building cooking that chicken where on to something! Of all the chicken joints I've every visited Mountain fried chicken was hands down in a class by itself. Boy it's something how times change, Mountain Fried has franchised and they're everywhere but seemed to dummy down the craft of just selling old hard chicken with empty buildings and few customers, the workers have no idea they're sitting on gold mine if it was tweaked right like the past, something needs to be done, maybe management or something just plain damn waste....

Charles T, Owner at Mountain Fried Chicken, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Manny, I am chicken Charlie and I opened that store you mentioned that was at the corner of Shattalon and University Parkway, unfortunately CVS bought the property out from under us and we were forced to move. I still own and operate the store a 5954 University Parkway and I must take exception to your post. My product is still the same as it was then. We always ask any customer, if you are not satisfied with any product received, please return the uneaten portion and we will replace it or refund your money. Customer satisfaction is a priority at any of our store locations. I would ask that you contact me via our web site, chickencharlie@mountainfriedchicken.com, I would like to know which store you visited and when. If you are not satisfied with our product, I want to get to the bottom of your concern. I wish I did have franchises all over, but as of this date there are only two. Clemmons and Hickory. Likewise I am always interested in what our customers think and I am always available to address your concerns. Respectfully Chicken Charlie

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I've noticed the reviews are mixed. My family and I love this place. We usually just get the chicken and potato wedges and only occasionally get other sides. The new location is better than the last one (was next to adult entertainment place). I wish they amp up their sides a bit (green beans are flat, and I do not care for the tomato based mac and cheese).

1  Thank islandgirl1965
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

The Food Is Bad Service is bad do not go here at all no good food do not eat here needs to close down when I say bad food I mean bad food prices are high for nothing at all

1  Thank beachman2014
Charles T, Owner at Mountain Fried Chicken, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

We had our grand opening for this store on March 25th 2013, I must contest your opinion and would ask that you give us a chance to change your mind, I have been proud of our reputation for over 27 years as a healthy, family friendly operation, that offers choices and a fried chicken that is not greasy. Do check us out again. Incidentally our prices are lower than any of our competitors, so please be honest in your reviews.