“Pink Lemonade Cake”

Ranked #4 of 27 Bakeries in Winston Salem
Price range: US$1 - US$10
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Since opening in 1930, Dewey's has been baking traditional favorites such as Moravian Cookies, Sugar Cake, and Lovefeast Buns. The bakery is also known for scrumptious cake squares, pastries, dessert bars, and homemade ice cream. Dewey's is also Winston-Salem's destination for cakes for birthdays, weddings and other special occasions. Every Monday is Free Cake Square Day!
Greenville, North Carolina
“Pink Lemonade Cake”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Get a pink lemondate cake square--you won't be sorry. If you prefer a savory treat, then the cheese straws are the way to go. And naturally you'll want to grab a cylindrical tin of Moravian cookies to take home.

Visited April 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Didn't meet my expectations..”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

When we showed up to Dewey's, there was an ice cream giveaway inside the store. The line went out the door, making things a little congested. Not a big deal though, most folks were there for the ice cream and the line for the bakery food wasn't long at all.

As far as my expectations are concerned, I heard a lot of good things about Dewey's, a lot of the good things coming directly from this site. I ordered the cake squares (pink lemonade) and a french horn to go and was chomping down on them within the next fifteen minutes. I thought the cake squares were very pedestrian and didn't understand the appeal of the pink lemonade at all. I like lemon cake, but this didn't make me go "OMG best cake ever." It was just so-so. The same could be said about the french horn. The pastry was lacking something that put it all together. I found it to be bland.

I guess I'm going to be in the minority with this one. Maybe I selected the wrong desserts that best represent Dewey's. Oh well, if I'm ever in town, I may swing by and try some of the other selections to see if my opinion changes, but for now, my score stands.

• Visited May 2013
New York City, New York
“Cake squares - yum!”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My friends live in Winston-Salem and suggested we get cake squares at Dewey's for dessert. I was torn between the cake squares and the cupcakes, but in the end I trusted their judgment and we got one of each cake square flavor for us to share. They were great! I wouldn't say it's the best cake I've ever had, but it was pretty tasty.

• Visited July 2013
Winston, Oregon
“You must buy the sugar cake and sugar cookies!”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Dewey's Bakery is THE bakery in Winston-Salem, having served generations of us their specialties. We always have Moravian Sugar Cake on special occasions, and the unassuming sugar cookies, well, you cannot eat just one! Buy several boxes!!

Visited June 2013
Advance, North Carolina
“Can't be beat!”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

The icing on Dewey's cakes can't be beat. It is so delicious. Dewey's has continued to keep up with trends in what they offer, and the seasonal tins are great collector items. Dewey's is a Winston-Salem landmark and tradition. I've tried for years to duplicate the Pink Lemonade Cake and can never get it quite right.

Visited April 2013