“Break in”

Courtyard Winston-Salem University
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 13 January 2010

Myself, my husband, our 23 month old son and my father, went to Winston Salem to see the Tanglewood light show. When arriving at our hotel it was in a VERY VERY VERY bad part of town. I didn't feel safe from the time we arrived. The hotel staff were very nice and the rooms were fine. We were booked to stay one night and that night we had our car broken into. They took, gps, cell phone and camera. With having a young child there I felt very unsafe and wouldn't recommend anyone to stay there nor would I go back there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 October 2009

We stayed at this hotel due to the proximity to Wake Forest University. The hotel is next door to the football and baseball stadiums and about 1 mile to the campus. Our room was very clean and no signs of mold that I read in other reviews. We did have a problem with the toilet and advised the front desk and they immediately moved us so we didn't have to wait for maintenance. The lobby area offered 2 computers with a printer, which came in handy for check in for our flights and printing out boarding passes. The rooms also had internet connections. Breakfast was not included, but they did have a buffet breakfast available. There is also an IHOP across the street.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I should have read trip advisor before booking my hotel not after. I was in town on business and stayed three nights. Upon check in I was given a room that reeked of mold and mildew. I immediately asked to be moved to another room but the newer room was not much better. I was temped to check out and go to another hotel because I am allergic to mold, but having arrived late, and only in town on business I made the decision to stay. The bed was comfortable. The staff was friendly. I would NEVER stay here again. If you are in town for vacation stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2008

As I sit in my room at the Courtyard Marriott Winston-Salem University at the end of a three night stay, the smell of mildew reminds me that this facility has some problems that keep it from reaching typical Courtyard standards. It's not in a great part of town - a run-down neighborhood that's not especially close to good traveler infrastructure (restaurants, coffee, shopping). (It is close to Wake Forest University, so would be convenient for visitors there). The fitness room is poorly-equipped; the whirlpool closed during my stay. There's an industrial fan running constantly on the floor outside my room, and a pervasive, slight scent of mildew throughout the hotel - clearly they have air circulation problems. It wasn't enough for me to ask to change rooms, but anyone who is sensitive to such things should be wary. In addition, I found trash on the far side of the room beside the bed and my phone hasn't worked properly for my stay. I've been here on business and have hardly been in the room except to sleep (comfortable bed) and eat breakfast (decent buffet for $8.50); otherwise I would be more dissatisfied. I will say that the staff has been very friendly and competent.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2008

I had a pleasant stay with no issues.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2007

This hotel is in a very run down part of the city. I arrived with my 17 yr. old daughter 30 minutes after the check in time. We had just driven 6 hours to get there. They did not have a double room for us even though I had booked it 3 weeks in advance. They offered us a King room, which we did not want. There were many closed and deserted businesses around. I did not feel safe in this deserted area. I could also tell that it probably wouldn't have clean rooms either because even the lobby was run rown. I went to my car and booked a room at the Marriot Downtown. I wrote a review on that as well if you care to read it. I did alot of research before making my trip
Unless you are not used to much, this would be a fine place to stay, otherwise, look further

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank ElizabethNCcoast
Reviewed 18 June 2007

I recently had one of the worst hotel experiences of my life at this hotel. It all started when we got to the hotel, and we weren’t checked in properly and had to return to the desk to be checked in correctly.

My sister was there for surgery so we asked for and received adjoining rooms. As soon as we walked into our rooms, we could tell the room reeked of mold and mildew. Since she had to go to surgery and we had to have connecting rooms, we decided that we would just put up with the mold. However, by the end of the second day my husband and I were so sick that we decided that we had to change rooms. On the third day, we asked to be moved, and we were given a second room beside our original room- this room too reeked of mold.

Housekeeping sent up a maintenance man to service the a/c unit, but all he did was spray the unit and carpet with Lysol. From the comments made by the front desk staff, it seemed this is a problem they are familiar with. I also asked several other guests if they had a problem with their rooms and one man said his family was also on their third room.

We finally got a third room after I made a stink, which was fine and thought our problems were over, but…

When we checked out of the hotel the next day, we discovered that since we weren’t checked in correctly, the rate code we used to book our room didn’t show up on the screen. We had to call central reservations get the code honored.

Aside from these main concerns, I called to request poly pillows instead of feather pillows. The receptionist took my request and then called back five minutes later to ask me what I had asked for since she couldn’t read her writing; when housekeeping brought the pillows, they were feather!! (I had to explain to him how to tell the
difference b/t a feather pillow and a poly pillow since he said it was only his second day at work, so I do feel bad for him- poor training!)

Finally, as the last straw, we wanted to use the spa; however, it was
closed because they were “painting” it; no one touched it for the entire four days we were there. The only reason we went to this hotel
was to use the spa! It clearly was just broken.

Plus, the bathtub had some soap scum build up!

Throughout this process, the staff was unfailingly polite, kind, and helpful but seemed very poorly trained and many of them said they were new. The woman at the front desk was very helpful but seemed to have a lot on her plate. I will think twice about going out of my way to stay at a Marriott again.

On plus side, the people in this city are amazingly kind. I would never have thought to visited here but will go back since I enjoyed the other parts of my visit; old town and the Children's Museam were great.

We are just now starting to be able to breathe again. Save yourself!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business