“It was okay”

Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
Las Vegas, Nevada
“It was okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

The best part was the ample parking and the close location to everything if you had a car. The bad part was the quality of the place. It looks like the place can be repainted and can do a few renovations here and there. The staff is friendly and made the stay pleasant and enjoyable. The beds are nothing special, and the TV needs to be upgraded. Stay here if you are on a budget and do not really care for top notch cleanliness.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank acwong27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Finnish first
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

My sister and I recently stayed in this hotel while on a shopping trip to Winston-Salem. My understanding is that this used to be a Holiday Inn because there is a small bar which is open in the evenings. Our room was on the bottom floor around the courtyard area. We were there during the second week of October so it really too cool to enjoy, but you could tell it would be very pretty in the spring. The hotel is in a good location; very close to Hanes Mall and not far from other shopping venues and restaurants. The staff was extremely helpful is assisting us as we asked questions about visiting the downtown area, even providing us with a map. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed here when there was a convention in town, they have an ok pool, and the rooms are good. The room card keys did not work, we got them replaced and those didn't work either, we got new ones, and still they didn't work, finally the next ones worked, and I guess it was an OK stay. The breakfast was good.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Joshua S
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Very nice place to stay. They allow pets & have a very nice hot breakfast. The staff is very nice & very friendly. The rooms were clean & they have an outdoor pool. They have wifi & a nice large tv in the room. We were passing through virginia & were pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed July 2012
Franklin, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

It is obvious that great strides have been made in the renovations of this hotel. It is also obvious more work is needed – both structurally and in personnel.

My wife and I stayed over night on June 22nd, 2012 in suite 162/164 – in a building separate from the main building. When I went to check in at 3:15pm, I was directed by front desk personnel to “Wait, we’re in the middle of shift change.” (Who directs guests?). Ten minutes later we had our room key and on our way around the building.

We dropped off our belongings, turned on the AC (it was sweltering in those rooms) and left to meet our party at the restaurant.

When we returned, we started to retire for the night – When my wife discovered some cockroaches in the bathroom of 164 and killed them. My thoughts were “It’s just a couple of cockroaches, we’re tired, really don’t want the hassle of changing rooms, and it looks like they are booked anyway.”

I looked at the signs posted around the room “Q Rest Assured” – cool – looking forward to a good night’s sleep…

After a fitful night, where a coil from an extremely old, lumpy mattress poked into me all night (either that, or it was an extremely poor quality NEW mattress), I knew I had to tell the front desk. But first clean up, dress, and have breakfast.

And then I discovered the slow/clogged shower in the 162 bathroom. There is nothing worse than standing in filthy water trying to get clean.

After breakfast, as we were checking out, I mentioned these issues to the Front Desk Clerk – L. Young. She said that she would have to get with management to see what could be done to compensate for these issues and that until then they wouldn’t charge for the room.

We were just charged fully for the room. I tried calling this morning (at my cost), and was told that a manager would not be around until “10 or 11 o’clock.” Unacceptable. This is during normal business hours on a weekday.

There is a reason we chose to stay at Choice Hotels. Our experience here is not it.

Bruce Koehler

Room Tip: Don't book here
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Rhaunen39
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Our family stopped for the night while headed to a beach vacation. We were looking for a place with a pool for our child to stretch out and get some exercise after a day in the car. Quality Inn has a pool open to 10 pm but it is definitely swim at your own risk. There is a light fixture hanging in the pool water from wires, the light should be an underwater light but instead the loose wire let it float at the surface. The pool hasn't been cleaned in ages. Our room was clean but so in need of updating. It looked like a child installed the tile in the bathroom, the grout was hilarious. The show stall had stains and the carpeting was disgusting. Our room had a fridge that didn't work. We didn't risk trying the coffeemaker. The front desk working at check out was very nice but that's about the only positive note.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank casualdiner74
Waynesville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

I hate spending a lot of money on hotel rooms, but I hate cheap hotels even more, so it's nice to find a quality place to sleep for a great price, and that's what this motel is.

It is an older (probably 70's era) motel that has been remodeled, but as most travelers will know, that can only go so far, so don't expect 21st century hotel.

My top requirement for a motel room is that it is CLEAN, and, this motel is (despite a low A sanitation score -- maybe the inspector was in a bad mood that day). I can enjoy my stay if I can walk in the room in my bare feet. When we first entered the room, it had that "motel air freshener" smell, but a little while with the door open took care of that.

The beds were comfortable (although doubles), but the mattresses are starting to sag in the middle and should probably be replaced soon as it is hard for two people to not end up in the middle together. The bed linens were comfortable (I especially enjoyed the fact that the lower sheet did not slide off the mattress), but the bed skirt is ripped and should be replaced.

The fan in the bathroom was not working, but I guess that is preferable to a really noisy fan and there was no mold in the bathroom so I was pleased. The bathroom has those new annoying water conservation toilets that are impossible to flush completely (I often wonder how much water is being conserved when you have to flush the toilet 2-3 times per use). Towels are standard motel, but at least they stock enough in the room so you don't have to go and ask for more.

Our room (#148) was around the back of the hotel, and it was quiet, despite having several youth sports teams in the hotel. The doors opens onto the parking lot and a couple of the doors in this building are dented, like someone was trying to kick in the door. That was a little disconcerting when I first got here, but I never felt unsafe. The room air conditioner worked well. The TV is an older style 25" screen with lots of channels and it worked well. Nice clean coffee maker in the bathroom and clean refrigerator and microwave in the room (refrigerator never made any noise...very nice).

The breakfast is standard Choice Hotels free breakfast, but the eating area was very large (it apparently also doubles as a bar/club at night). The breakfast was well maintained during our stay, but the attendant could have spent some more time wiping down the tables (especially after the young boys soccer team visited.)

We didn't use the pool, but a lot of the guests did. It looked like an enjoyable place, and the pool looked actually big enough to swim in (unlike some newer pools).

We didn't really interact with many staff members, but those we did come in contact with were nice and pleasant, especially the woman I spoke with on the phone before I arrived who changed my reservation from a smoking to a non-smoking room.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay for the purpose.

Room Tip: Since the doors are on the outside, choose a high floor for more safety, or a lower floor for conven...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends