“Timeworn and Tired”

Quality Inn & Suites Hanes Mall
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We were in W-S for a nearby memorial service and stayed three days. We probably should have moved after the first day but suffered through because of it's location. The facility, a former Holiday Inn, is undergoing renovation. The layout is an older sprawling type complex with what in the spring and fall would be a nice central court yard with plants, shade trees and flowers. Our room was one that had not yet been renovated. It was stark with minimal furniture, old TV set, non-working phone and inadequate lighting. The HVAC unit was noisey. Breakfast was in the former HI restaurant, which had been converted to a sports type bar open on week ends. It consisted of waffles, sausage gravey and biscuits, and the usual juices, fruit, pastries, breads and two cereals. The Salisbury MD University Track and Field group stayed there for a meet that week end and crowded the eating area. If you are traveling on a tight budget and get a "renovated room" it will probably meet your needs. Otherwise, I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure you are given a newly renovated room. Check the HVAC unit and cleanliness before committin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ORBPSB
Gail K, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites Hanes Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Thank you for taking time out to write about your experience here at our hotel. We thrive to make improvements on a weekly basis. We are located in the medical neighborhood of Winston Salem between I-40 and Interstate 40 2 blocks from Hanes Mall 2nd largest mall in North Carolina. We just got a inspection from our local health dept of a 96 and another from our franchise just this week.

Thank you again, and we will look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I was in town for WSSU's homecoming activites and in efforts to conserve money and satify my partner in crime we choose this hotel. The room rate was about $70, but I was able to use my corporate discoundt to get it to $50 a night! Which was great but you always get what you pay for. After watching "Hotel Impossible" I have become somewhat of a hotel snob and did not have a good feeling about this one.

Check-in took forever b/c they only had one person working the desk and everything else. Once we got the key we had to climb the outdoor stairs which were very narrow to get to the room. I immediately flipped the mattresses to check for cleaniness and bed bugs. Low and behold THERE WAS A BED BUG IN ONE OF THE BEDS (photo attached)!!! After grabbing our stuff and snapping a quick pic we went back to the front desk and they refunded our money. We ended up going to the new hilton garden inn that's not too far away. It's about $115 a night, but you get what you pay for. I will not be going back and do not recommend anyone staying here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ashley F
Gail K, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites Hanes Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel. Your comments are very important to us. We are continually striving to improve our facility and this helps us very much. Athough we did have the room in question thoroughly checked for bed bugs by a professional pest contral agency, they were unable to detect any sign of such. It does concern me however that the picture you have posted is not from our hotel. We have no such color matches in any of our rooms. I'm sure this was an honest mistake. We do hope you'll give us a second chance. Your business is very important to us. Thanks again for your comments.

Respectfully:

Gail Kolischak
Director of Sales

Reviewed 24 January 2013

I am a buiseness traveler and try to ballance comfort conviniance and price in my decisions of where to stay. The Quality Inn however convieniant the location proved to be non reliable in getting my reservations rite. There was little or no attempt to correct the probblem over the 3 weeks i visited. One employee at the front desk was sympathetic to my situation and did try to help. I may have been willing to overlook those issues had the rooms been clean and Quiet. Body hair belonging to someone other than myself in the shower unfortunatly is the straw that broke the cammels back ! I now understand cheap, is not nessisarily always the most attractive bennifit to finding a Quality safe place to stay.

Room Tip: Dont get a room on the back of the hotel where the police cant see. Manny late night visitors commin...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank chris c

Thank you for bringing any problems to our attention on your recent stay here this year. We have on-going training for all our front line employees.. and if you had called the sales management office when you were here i am sure we could has solved your problems. We are located in the medical neighborhood of Winston Salem between I40 and Business 40. We thrive to have all our guests happy when they leave. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

This hotel is conveniently located to Forsyth Hospital, Hanes Mall, and has easy access to I-40. It gives excellent rates to those who need a place to stay while visiting or caring for someone at Forsyth Hospital. The staff is especially helpful, and the breakfast is excellent! The rooms could use some updating, however. A plus is that the rooms have a microwave, fridge, coffee-maker, and hair dryer. A value!

Room Tip: All rooms are in a quiet location.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MamaMooDurham_NC
Brooks R, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Hanes Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Brooks Roberts
Manager
Quality Inn and Suites
336-765-6670

Reviewed 10 November 2012

Bed was comfortable-king size! Oversized room was a treat and the microwave and fridge was an unexpected bonus. However, chipped and chipping paint EVERYWHERE...even on the soap dish in tub (probably not paint, but still chipped/peeling) was unacceptable. The breakfast-and I have stayed at many Comfort Inns and Quality Inns-was on the low end of average. And totally unacceptable was the fact that the hotel doesn't have a restaurant on site as featured on the web site....this would have made a complete difference to me in booking where I stayed in Winston. Very underimpressed in this location.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Marcia S
Gail K, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Suites Hanes Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your response . We always want a comfortable room for our guests. We have just completed renovation of our bathrooms, including the tub/soap dish. We appreciate you and thank you once again.

Gail Kolischak
Director of Sales

Reviewed 7 November 2012

The best part was the ample parking and the close location to everything if you had a car. The bad part was the quality of the place. It looks like the place can be repainted and can do a few renovations here and there. The staff is friendly and made the stay pleasant and enjoyable. The beds are nothing special, and the TV needs to be upgraded. Stay here if you are on a budget and do not really care for top notch cleanliness.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank acwong27
Reviewed 20 October 2012

My sister and I recently stayed in this hotel while on a shopping trip to Winston-Salem. My understanding is that this used to be a Holiday Inn because there is a small bar which is open in the evenings. Our room was on the bottom floor around the courtyard area. We were there during the second week of October so it really too cool to enjoy, but you could tell it would be very pretty in the spring. The hotel is in a good location; very close to Hanes Mall and not far from other shopping venues and restaurants. The staff was extremely helpful is assisting us as we asked questions about visiting the downtown area, even providing us with a map. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends