“You Get What You Pay For”

Quality Inn & Suites Hanes Mall
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was in Winston-Salem for a car show and decided to save some money and stay at this Quality Inn. Not sure I would stay here again. The staff was very nice and the complimentary breakfast was OK, but the rooms were not up to what I would consider acceptable for a Quality Inn. The bathroom fixtures needed to be replaced and overall the room looked like it needed a makeover. Worst of all the room had the smell of urine. Not sure if it was urine or perhaps mold or the A/C. At any rate I cannot recommend this location unless you are a cheapskate, like I was, and want a room for less than $60/night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rmorin49

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed in Winston Salem Quality inn. The hotel is so dingy and run down with so less light and dark corners. The refrigerator in the room was broken. Hairdrier was taped together and the sheets were hand sown. Extremely bad experience.

Room Tip: Try comfort inn or Wyndham nearby
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Punit N
Reviewed 24 March 2014

On business in Winston Salem we stumbled on this little gem. The corporate rates they gave us were very good. This is an outside entrance hotel that has a bit of age on it, but the rooms were adequate for the rate. The staff was VERY friendly and helpful, from the day staff to the ones manning the desk in the middle of the night. A great stay for the price.

Room Tip: Request a room on the inside ring or courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jimmy C
Brooks R, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Hanes Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. We will look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

The hotel itself was average and ok but was pricey for its condition. I was there for five days recently and my main complaint is that there was no wifi available in the room. I was able to connect inside the lobby, but nowhere outside of there, even on a bench just outside the lobby. I spoke to two other customers who told me they were unable to connect in their rooms either. I brought this up to a very pleasant desk clerk each day - only one of them said he'd tell the manager, but nothing changed. The problem should have been simple to fix - it was either their provider needed a call or their router needed to be rebooted. This was a nice Holiday Inn back in the day, but it's getting kind of long in the tooth now. I was amazed at the number of workmen staying here. I won't stay there again - there are plenty of other hotels in the area that charge equivalent rates and are much newer/nicer. I stay in an area hotel in W-S on average 5-6 days every month.
Breakfast is typical of other hotels in the price class (Best Western, La Quinta, etc.) They do have good coffee!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank rv6av8r
Brooks R, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Hanes Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

We would like to thank you for taking the time to fill out our survey. We will use your comments to train our staff to the level you expect. All comments are reviwed and action is taken to make sure we provide the best customer service we can. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This property is worth more than the cost! The rooms are clean, the bathrooms are clean, the service is great and the location is easily accessible. We stayed because my mom was in Forsyth Medical Center, this hotel is across the street. The continental breakfast was the best I have ever had and the cleanest.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FLS2014
Brooks R, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Hanes Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Brooks Roberts
Manager
Quality Inn and Suites
336-765-6670

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Location is the strong suit for this inn. It's within walking distance of the medical center, and a quick drive (or a modest hike) to the mall area, with a number of restaurants. (Access roads are a bit confusing, but after a few loops around, you catch on). Parking is ample, and free. Staff are pleasant and accomodating.

Room was a basic "Quality Inn" level of accomodation. It was clean, and well appointed with mini fridge and microwave. The breakfast room is bright and clean......and attended. It apparently doubles as a lounge on some evenings, but we did not have opportunity to observe that. We came in late and left early. Food offerings were the standard Quality Inn hot and cold variety.

This Inn seems like a reasonable budget-priced lodging choice for the Winston-Salem area. Really did not experience the negative aspects noted by other reviewers.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GypsyRoverPittsburgh

Dear Valued Guest,

Brooks Roberts
Manager
Quality Inn and Suites
336-765-6670

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I might not have minded staying at this place had the price been lower - say, under $50. (I recently stayed at a Quality similar to this one in Wilmington, and the price was indeed under $50.) However, I had a reward rate, and it was still close to $70! I've stayed in much better, cleaner, and safer-looking Choice Hotels for either the same amount or less, so it was quite a disappointment. In fact, you could stay at Comfort just down the street for nearly the same amount, and yet it looked much better.

Some other warnings about this place: it's not a true "hotel" in that it's all outdoor access rooms. No inner hallways, which doesn't make one feel very safe, especially when you're a young woman. The breakfast left a lot to be desired, no true "hot" breakfast as Choice advertises - no eggs, bacon/sausage, biscuits, etc. They do have a waffle maker, but that's all I would qualify as "hot" breakfast. The rooms are very outdated, and in my case, the shower had a lot of cracks and stains that didn't make it feel very clean. And, maybe had I not been tired when I arrived, I would have been more forgiving of the bar inside the hotel - but yes, truly, the breakfast area is also a bar area. Fully stocked with liquor, a jukebox, and billiards! That might be attractive for some, but it looked run-down and odd in this place.

However, if you're just crashing for the night, and you need to be in the area (I needed to be at Novant the next day, which is just across the street), it's not the worst I've seen.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank kthrog

Thank you for taking the time to fill out our survey. Your comments will be looked at and any improvements will be done. Thank you again for taking the time to fill out our survey