“tired and worn”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Winston - Salem
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel is tired and worn. Definitely not the star rating advertised or worth the price. I will not stay at this Embassy Suites hotel or any other. Take your business elsewhere. There are better quality hotels who keep their rooms updated and modern.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Randy R, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Winston - Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for your review. I apologize that our hotel did not meet your expectations during this stay. Feel free to contact me at your convenience if you would like to give me more details.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Winston - Salem

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We always stay at this hotel when we're in the area as we can count on a clean comfortable room with a polite, helpful staff. The complimentary hot breakfast is great and our rates are always reasonable. The location is ideal as the Convention Center is just out the back exit and across the street.

1  Thank Mary W
Randy R, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Winston - Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for reviewing Embassy Suites Winston-Salem. We are glad you continue to visit us when in Winston-Salem and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at the Embassy Suites during at trip to Winston Salem from the UK as we wanted a hotel in the centre of downtown. We were a group of 4 adults (2 couples) who shared a two bedroom suite. The hotel is nice and clean although a little dated, and there were a few issues with our suite. There was only one closet and in a two bedroom suite I would've expected one in each bedroom and not to have to share. While in the shower there was nowhere to hang your towel, unless you wanted to walk across the bathroom (which was quite large) dripping wet as the towel rail was next to the sink. The shower curtain was also inadequate for the shower which resulted in a large pool of water on the floor after each use. The website and the literature in the room states safety deposit boxes are available. When I contacted reception I was told that was incorrect information but I could use a safety deposit box at the Marriott over the road - not really convenient when I'd be putting cash, passports etc in there and would need access probably daily.

We used the valet parking for the duration of our stay which was very good and the guys were always quick to help. At a cost of 15 dollars a day (unlimited) we thought this was good value for money.

The breakfast was good with a good range of food, as was the evening reception with 2 free drinks and canapes.

I would consider staying here again as the location is very good (which I think is the only reason the room price is as high), but the lack of a safety deposit box is a big issue for me as I don't like having to leave passports etc in my room. I may consider the marriott for my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and valuable input on our hotel. We are glad your stay was good but hope to make improvements for future stays.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

From, Tony helping us park, to Ragen, who checked us in, to Ted and Shaun, at reception and grill that evening to Janet at breakfast and the man who made the perfect omelets for us at breakfast, everything was exceptional. If we could make one comment it would be that we could have used a lighter blanket in addition to the sheet and coverlet. The top cover was too heavy and the sheet was too light. We realized this in the middle of the night that the room was cool however the down coverlet was too hot for us. I know we could have requested a lighter blanket and there may have been one in the room. It was in the middle of the night and neither of us wanted to be up looking for one. Other than that one thing our experience was OVER THE TOP at EMBASSY SUITES. Loved everyone we came in contact with. I don't recall being told about the Make It Right service but we were tired when we checked in and may not remember. Oh and it was my husband's birthday and they Ragen it special.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy W

Thank your for reviewing Embassy Suites Winston-Salem. I am glad we could be a part of making your husbands birthday special. so proud that our staff delivered the great service that you deserve. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Arriving is the only real hassle at this hotel… It's basically a narrow road between the main entrance and the parking garage, so there is very limited parking, and it's pretty much always jammed up pretty good… Check-in after finding a place to park was a breeze, and having a Starbucks in the lobby is a nice plus… The room was nice, clean, and comfortable… A couple of minor issues in the bathroom were a hassle, but not a big deal… First, the shower water pressure was woeful… I'm sure the hotel uses water restrictors in an effort to keep down their water bill, but it only forces people to take longer showers… Second, the shower curtain was too short, and the splash from the shower was getting all over the bathroom floor… We had to put down several towels to catch it all… In the morning, they offer a free breakfast, and it was pretty good and had a decent selection to choose from… Bacon, eggs, grits, bagels, waffles, yogurt, fruit, etc… Parking for one night in the garage costs $8.00 (I think), but it's kind of a hassle because they don't have people taking your money upon exit… It's a machine where you insert your parking ticket, so don't lose it… There are no directions, however, so you just have to figure it all out as you're sitting there with cars stacking up behind you… Certainly a hassle, but not that big of a deal either… Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and there are some good restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel… We would stay there again…

1  Thank GoBa6864

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and apologize for any issues encountered. We hope you can stay with us again in the future so we can exceed expectations.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I think it is a great place to go to because the help u when u need it and they are very polite and helpful and they hotel clean and they make you feel like you are at home and treat you with a lot of respect and they are kind and obedient.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for reviewing Embassy Suites Winston-Salem. I am pleased to see that our staff gave outstanding service during your stay. We were proud to host your conference, and hope you can visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Very nice hotel. Friendly staff, small pool area, elevators kinda old to me but they work, breakfast was not bad. My only complaint is the parking. I feel that for the price you pay to stay at the embassy, parking should be included. they don't tell you that parking is $9 per day if your car stays put. If you leave, its more than that. We ate at the Mellow Mushroom everyday which was in very close walking distance. Other eatery's were nearby including a smoothie spot. We had the 1 bdrm suite on the 9th floor (Very top floor, Very quiet). Myself, husband, and two children. Plenty of room for us. They do have a suite with 2 bathrooms but we were ok without it. Overall, I would stay again and recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: 9th floor very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KNLCfamily

Thank you for reviewing Embassy Suites Winston-Salem. I am glad you were able to experience so much our hotel and surrounding area have to offer. We hope you can visit us again soon!