“Worst hotel I've ever visited!”

Quality Inn Coliseum
Ranked #35 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here with a girl's soccer team of 13-15 year olds. We were assigned this hotel by the tournament we were playing in. Rooms were smelly, mildew in the shower, beat up furniture, limited breakfast, questionable clientele, undesirable area of town. Some in our group had trouble with water and air. One was even told she had an extra room booked and was told she had to pay for it even though she showed the front desk guy her confirmation print out. There was one nice front desk guy, but that was the only positive thing at the hotel! It was neither clean nor safe, the only two things I ask for in a hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank ORUSAFamily
QualityINN_WS, General Manager at Quality Inn Coliseum, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us at the Quality Inn Coliseum. A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology for any misunderstandings that may have occurred when you discussed your concerns with my staff during your stay.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve.

In this regard, I was pleased to hear that a satisfactory resolution had been reached during your stay. Please rest assured that I have reviewed our hotel operations to ensure that a similar situation does not occur in the future.

Lakin Haria

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Booked hotel, got confirmation. Drove to hotel... Stood in line in lobby for an hour, ceiling leaking, then finally incompetent manager came out and said there were no rooms. Worst experience ever. Nasty hotel, idiot manager, smelled bad, desk clerks took 25 minutes to check 2 people in in an hour. Don't go here, don't stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sjsjsjsjsjsjsjsj
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed for the Elton John concert and the Martinsville race, and it was close to the concert venue. The staff was very helpful and went above and beyond our expectations when I needed to get my tickets printed... They gave good directions and had new about the area. The room was nice clean and comfortable. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Majestic S
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I made an error when I booked this. I looked at the Quality Inn University but left the site. I came back to book and accidentally booked the Quality Inn Coliseum. This place was overpriced for what you get. It's an older motel and the majority of the people staying there were construction workers. I wouldn't have minded had it been priced at $40 instead of $68. Ironically, the Quality Inn University is only about 4 miles north, is LESS THAN this place was, and much newer, cleaner, nicer, and surrounded by restaurants and stores. This place isn't near anything and we had to drive up to the other Quality Inn to eat. Distance to Wake Forest is about the same so do yourself a favor and stay at the Quality Inn University and not the Quality Inn Coliseum.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Greg C
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed here on October 18 thru October 20, 2013. The hotels in that town were booked that weekend. However, we were able to book a room, the room was a smooking room. As soon as we got off the elevator, you could smell the smoke. When we entered the room it reaked of smoke. We when and talked to the manager on staff, he gave us some FERBREEZE to use in the room. We told them that the room needed more than some ferbreeze. We advised him that we could not stay in that room, they offered us another room, but not until the next day. We were asked who booked the room, well I said I did, I told him that I had stayed in hotel rooms that were marked smoking rooms, and they did not smell like that. It was very uncomfortable for us. We also, requested that we get our money back, becuase the room was not habiable to sleep in, of course they told us that we could not have our money back, because we did not cancel within 48 hours. We were only cancelling because the room was not fit to sleep in. My niece decided to stay there, she was in the room and roaches was crawling down the wall on top of the room smelling of smoke. She when to the front desk again, and raised cane. The front desk manager, again stated that we could not receive our money back, however, when she mentioned that should be contact the Corporate office, we then received our room charge back. The room looked clean, however, they should have left the air conditioner on to try and air out some of the smoke that was left from the previous tenant. My brother did turn on the air conditioner to see if it would help, it did help just a little, however, the room still smelled bad.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank brecra20
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel smells like old beer and cigarettes. Do they even vacuum or clean the walls. Very interesting clientele. The staff look uninterested in helping you. Even though our floor was non smoking, it wreaked of smoke and beer parties. Even though the sanitation rating was a B, it should have been a D.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The plant is definitely not up to date, and it's not in a happening area but, it's also $68. They have security that comes on at 11pm & patrols until dawn - so cars are safe. The staff are very nice.
It was fine for us - we were exhausted so we ordered in from Elizabeth's (good Italian) and just chilled.
Breakfast was very weak - you could make a waffle, toast, mini bagel, oatmeal, apples and banana - no eggs or sausage - coffee was bad.
But, there's a McDonalds a heartbeat away(my favorite coffee).
Towels were clean, bathroom old but water was hot and everything worked.
If I'm ever back that way and priced as it is - I'd consider staying there.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family