“Great Place”
Review of Silver Gull Motel

Silver Gull Motel
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have walked past this motel for many years so I decided that the next time I went to Wrightsville Beach I'd give it a try. I was so glad I did. The daily rates at this beach front motel are reasonable, I had an updated room that was larger than I expected with 2 double beds & a small kitchenette. The bathroom/dressing area is really nice. While this is an older motel it has been remodeled recently & the rooms are very clean. The staff/housekeeping are friendly & knowledgeable about the area. The location is great not only because it is right on the ocean but there are several restaurants & shops within walking distance & driving to & from the motel is easy. There is no fee to park in the garage which is located under the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tina F

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed here Mothers Day weekend. The hotel & room were clean although dated, especially the carpet. The bed linens smelled very fresh & clean. The house keeping & front desk staff were friendly & helpful. View from room 212 was beautiful although it was a side view room. I enjoyed having the front deck with steps leading right down onto the beach. Considering the prices of other hotels in Wrightsville Beach this place is a bargain. If you don't need a fancy hotel just a clean place to lay your head & a nice view this is a great choice.

Room Tip: 212 good side view room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank lbb1017
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Good clean older hotel, excellent location. The only problem is that there is no staff after 11pm. If you have problems with loud neighbors or any problem there will be no one to call until the morning.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We enjoyed our stay here. It was affordable and clean. We had an updated room and the bathroom was really nice. The location is excellent.. right on the beach! Unfortunately, there's no swimming pool. Wrightsville Beach is a nice seaside town, and it's a great place if you are there just for the beach. This hotel is near a few great restaurants. The staff was great and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 28Traveler7777
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Was a little disappointed that they didn't have a website, or good pictures of the rooms, but pleasantly surprised. Kinda "old school" but staff was very helpful and friendly. Room was clean with all needed amenities. View and location were OUTSTANDING. No better place to stay at the beach. Get room 211!

Room Tip: Rooms 211 and 212 walk out deck to beach!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank MichaelLineweber
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Landed here when the HI Resort sold out for a conference I attended in October 2013. The location is ideal for anything you'd want to do while at Wrightsville Beach, on the same circle as Johnny Mercer's pier and just a skip and a jump over the bridge back into Wilmington.

I wasn't sure what to expect with it being a fairly old place and not much to look at from outside; single elevator from the parking level, inside hallways are painted cinder block, zero decor, and indoor/outdoor carpet (looks like a college dorm hallway), but was pleasantly surprised by the room (one of the "remodeled" ones). Nice tile in the bathroom and kitchenette, obviously new bathroom fixtures, exhaust fan. Not sure if the "old" rooms have them, but the "new" one has microwave, stovetop, full-size refrigerator, hair dryer, iron, and ironing board. Bedroom area is quite large, enough space for a rollaway or a couple of sleeping bags on the floor. All rooms have side ocean view.

Parking underneath the building is convenient (free, whereas parking on the circle street is pay meter) but tight with the support posts so take extra care in pulling in and backing out.

Everyone I saw or spoke with at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant. Free espresso / coffee / cappuccino maker in the lobby.

Room Tip: As long as their renovation is still in progress, be sure to ask for a renovated room - worth the fe...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RPinNC
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Silver Gull over the 4th of July weekend. I was really happy with our choice! The location is unbeatable-- right on the ocean. The rooms were great! Comfortable bed, flat screen TV, full kitchen with refrigerator and our own balcony. I was really happy with the room amenities. I was expecting your typical beach motel and this definitely exceeded my expectations. Price was great - I was surprised it was so cheap (~$209/ night for the king room we stayed in) If I am ever back in the area, I will definitely stay here again!

My only complaint was the fact that the hotel is located right off the public beach parking lot. When we arrived, we had to wait about 30 minutes just to pull up to the hotel lobby in our car, because the traffic was so backed up in the beach parking lot. This made us reluctant to drive at all during our stay, for fear that we'd have to sit in traffic on our way back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Residence Inn Wilmington Landfall

Been to Silver Gull Motel? Share your experiences!