“Silver Gull Motel wins the GOLD!”
Review of Silver Gull Motel

Silver Gull Motel
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I suddenly found ourselves with a one night “vacation”. We figured the odds of calling a hotel on the beach on a Saturday for the following Monday would be slim to none. And to get one for less than $200 the week of 4th of July would be next to impossible.

Well, it wasn’t. Research indicated the Silver Gull Motel might just fit the bill. On a whim, I called them, just hoping there might have been a cancellation or something that would get us a room.

I spoke with Allen, a very personable gentleman. Turns out he had a few rooms. The best available was a third floor modernized room with two double beds. I asked, How much? He said Monday nights are the least expensive, and on 06/30/14 that was $150 +tax, etc. A hundred and fifty bucks! For a hotel (technically a motel, but who’s quibbling?) on the beach, and right next to the pier, no less.

The lady that checked us in was very pleasant and amusing to talk to.

The hotel sits parallel to the pier, so there are actually just a few rooms that face the ocean – all others face either the parking lot of the pier/public swimming access or a group of beach houses on the other side. But each room has a private balcony with a decent view of the ocean.

Our room was on the parking lot side, so there was a lot of activity. On the upside, there was a great view of the pier, and because we were on the side opposite the sun, it was pleasantly cool in the early evening because of the shade. I imagine it was still sweltering for the people on the other side of the building.

The main room of the hotel was very large compared to other rooms we stayed at during our travels. There was a full kitchen with a two-burner range, a microwave, a sink, a full-sized refrigerator, utensils, flatware and glassware. It had a split bathroom (vanity room and bath/shower & toilet room with a door between.) The counters in this modernized room were genuine granite and the bathroom floors and shower walls were ceramic tiles.

We had a chance to speak with a custodial staff member and she was also courteous and helpful. Highway 74 dead ends at the pier, and the private, under-cover hotel parking is right off the pier parking lot. The hotel provides free wi-fi.

The ONLY gripe I had is really just a nitpick. The room had an old 19 inch CRT television. I realize one doesn’t go to the beach to watch TV, but in the evening when all the day’s activities are complete, we watch TV. And given one can get a 28” flat screen TV at Walmart for about the cost of one night’s stay, it doesn’t seem unreasonable to provide a decent television.

With that little rant aside, all in all I must say we had a great room at a decent value with a pleasant staff at the Silver Gull Motel at Wrightsville Beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a modernized room - well worth the extra cost. Get a room on the third floor for best views...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sardonicynic

Reviewed 26 June 2014

"Management" called less than 24 hours prior to check- in of my reservation stating they would have to move my booked room because "the oceanfront room next to you has no air conditioning" and instead of fixing the air conditioning in the ocean front unit, they actually "planned to open an adjoining door to your room to let air conditioning in to the oceanfront unit for the next 10 days" so I "needed to moveI." I told them that sounded strange, but she assured me it was necessary because they had"booked the unit with the broken air conditioning for 10 days" as if that was an appropriate explanation - I asked to just "cancel the reservation" if that type of logic was how they do business. There are plenty A/C repair men that could have solved her" problem".

Room Tip: Be sure to find a unit that is NOT next to another unit without working air conditioning - because i...
Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank T E
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have walked past this motel for many years so I decided that the next time I went to Wrightsville Beach I'd give it a try. I was so glad I did. The daily rates at this beach front motel are reasonable, I had an updated room that was larger than I expected with 2 double beds & a small kitchenette. The bathroom/dressing area is really nice. While this is an older motel it has been remodeled recently & the rooms are very clean. The staff/housekeeping are friendly & knowledgeable about the area. The location is great not only because it is right on the ocean but there are several restaurants & shops within walking distance & driving to & from the motel is easy. There is no fee to park in the garage which is located under the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tina F
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed here Mothers Day weekend. The hotel & room were clean although dated, especially the carpet. The bed linens smelled very fresh & clean. The house keeping & front desk staff were friendly & helpful. View from room 212 was beautiful although it was a side view room. I enjoyed having the front deck with steps leading right down onto the beach. Considering the prices of other hotels in Wrightsville Beach this place is a bargain. If you don't need a fancy hotel just a clean place to lay your head & a nice view this is a great choice.

Room Tip: 212 good side view room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank lbb1017
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Good clean older hotel, excellent location. The only problem is that there is no staff after 11pm. If you have problems with loud neighbors or any problem there will be no one to call until the morning.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We enjoyed our stay here. It was affordable and clean. We had an updated room and the bathroom was really nice. The location is excellent.. right on the beach! Unfortunately, there's no swimming pool. Wrightsville Beach is a nice seaside town, and it's a great place if you are there just for the beach. This hotel is near a few great restaurants. The staff was great and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 28Traveler7777
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Was a little disappointed that they didn't have a website, or good pictures of the rooms, but pleasantly surprised. Kinda "old school" but staff was very helpful and friendly. Room was clean with all needed amenities. View and location were OUTSTANDING. No better place to stay at the beach. Get room 211!

Room Tip: Rooms 211 and 212 walk out deck to beach!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire

Been to Silver Gull Motel? Share your experiences!