“Fabulous Family Vacation”

Summer Sands Suites
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My family of three spent a great week in Wrightsville Beach at the Summer Sands. The suite is spacious and well furnished. There is just a short walk to the beach, restaurants, shops and the waterway. The salt water pool is THE BEST - so much better than chlorine. The staff made us feel comfortable and welcome. They were friendly and helpful from arrival to departure. We will return.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SJohnso

Reviewed 17 April 2013

If you want to be in the center of things at Wrightsville Beach, the Summer Sands is worth a look. Just a block from the main cross-roads, you are walking distance to all the action. Right next door are town-favorite eateries (The Trolley Stop, South Beach Grill and Kohl’s Frozen Custard) and you won’t need your car. One more block and you are at Tower Seven, a fabulous Tex-Mex restaurant favored by the locals.
Summer Sands is a well-built, four-story structure with parking below and around the building. An elevator serves all floors. Our room was as comfortable as being at home. From the outside corridor you entered the bedroom area with wide, sliding mirrored closet doors and TV over a dresser. Down the hall was the bathroom and at the end of the hall was the living/dining area.
A full kitchen with full size frig and microwave would be great for someone spending the week at the beach. Comfortable sofas and a kitchen table and chairs all faced the large flat screen TV. A big Murphy bed could fold out from the wall for a larger family.
Outside, our deck faced the harbor where we could watch boaters, kayakers and stand-up paddleboarders share the waterway.
The room was clean, well-stocked, and exceptionally functional. We only stayed one night, but would have been comfortable here for a much longer time.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west have a great view of the sound.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravelWriterDB
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a few times before (for work in Wilmington) in the Fall season because it is very well priced and the layout of the room is great. The sleeping room is separated from the den and kitchen by a hallway, but not a door. There is a pull-down cot in the den that would require some furniture rearrangement. It looks like about like a double bed/sofa bed style bed. There is a small kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator, sink, skillet (no oven), microwave and small dishwasher. And each room has a balcony.

This is a small hotel, only four floors. The "ocean side" faces a much taller condominium complex across the street and offers a peek at the ocean at best. The "sound side" faces the sound and is right on a fairly busy (especially in the summer time) four lane road (Waynick Ave) with power lines interrupting your view of the sound. The power lines aren't much of an eye sore, but just so you know...

The location is very convenient to the main bar scene (only a few blocks away). These bars are filled with mostly college students when school is in session. In addition to that, South Beach Grill is right next door and there are a few other restaurants and shops within walking distance. Also, even though this hotel is on Wrightsville Beach, it is not "on the beach." Still it is only a short walk to the beach.

FOR SMOKERS:
I really hate to put this place down, because it is very charming and the location is great. However, I have to express my dismay for the management not making their new smoking policy a little more visible on their website. As I mentioned before, I have stayed here in the past (and I am a smoker) and there used to be an ash tray on the balcony. That was one of the specific reasons why I stayed here. Like many smokers, I prefer not to smoke indoors and am fine with going outside to smoke, which is why I choose hotels with balconies. Nor do I ash on the porch or off of the porch (and I definitely don't leave cigarette butts anywhere).

To make a long story short, I arrived, as excited as could be to the Summer Sands and when I went out on the porch to smoke, I first looked for the ash tray that was gone and soon noticed a sign that clearly stated their new policy. NO SMOKING ON THE BALCONIES, GUEST ROOMS, OUTDOOR CORRIDORS OR HALLWAYS. $250 FINE. I later checked the Summer Sand's website and that question was again answered in the FAQ's on the first line. I only mentioned this so that any former patrons who smoke will know to choose somewhere else and don't have to walk down the stairs every hour or so to smoke.

I hate to make an entire review with smoking as the focal point, but I know that the non-smokers and the smokers both benefited from this review. I hope I provided a decent description of the room and location for the non-smokers and for the smokers, please find somewhere else.

Thanks,

An ex-patron

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
9  Thank Trent M
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Loved the layout of our suite. Walked in to the bedroom, the kitchen and living room spaces were at the other end of the hall with a balcony with a harbor view (you can also get an obstructed ocean view). Really easy walk to the beach and we enjoyed watching the boats in the harbor. One thing to keep in mind - our room on the second floor was close to the busy beach road and there was more traffic noise than I expected. We got used to it, but next time we'll definitely get a room on an upper floor. The location is great. You can walk to any number of nice bars and restaurants. The staff was nice and we had a very pleasant stay.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dee648
Reviewed 22 June 2012

The room was very clean with new carpets and a fresh paint job. The staff responded quickly to any concerns we expressed. If you're looking for a clean one bedroom suite with a great view of the harbor and a short walk to the beach, the Summer Sands is terrific!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the harbor side; the otherside gets a view of the pool and another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Amy W
Reviewed 18 June 2012

For a last minute surf trip, this place served us well. Perfect location to all the bars and restaurants in Wrightsville Beach, and a block from the beach. Room had free WiFi, 2 flat screen tv's, central air, balcony above the pool. At $235/night in mid summer, it was a reasonable deal. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank Bodhi360
Reviewed 2 June 2012

After reading reviews about Summer Sands and talking to Laura (the manager), I was pretty certain this was a good bet. After visiting, I'm thrilled to have a new go-to beach spot. The rooms look like they do on the Web site. You enter from the open-air hallway into the bedrooms. They all have been upgraded to King beds so that was a pleasant surprise. The bedroom thankfully has a smaller window so light pouring in at night isn't a problem. There is a bathroom in the hallway that opens up to a kitchen/eating area/couch/TV area. The kitchen wasn't big enough to feel like we could eat in one night but luckily once you get to Summer Sands you can park the car and walk to eat (plus who wants to cook?). What made me book Summer Sands in the first place were the rocking chairs on the balcony. I figured any place that cared enough about their guests to put two very comfortable rocking chairs on a balcony (versus cheap plastic chairs) was a place I needed to try. The balcony is bigger than it looks on the Web site. You can choose from a room facing the pool and ocean or the harbor. I would advise the pool/ocean side and go for the third or fourth floor for a better view. The pool was clean and nice and beach access is across the street. There are also bikes you can rent which we did both days and had a blast. A testament to my stay? I booked a return visit before I left.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 mi away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire

Been to Summer Sands Suites? Share your experiences!