“Great place to stay”

Blockade Runner Beach Resort
banner elk
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

We stayed here 2 nights in December (it rained for 2 days with cold temps and very windy) but we still enjoyed our stay. We had an ocean view room with a balcony with two queen size bed.
The room was very large, nicely decorated and the bathroom was very nice. We were told the room had been renovated but I don't know how long ago. All of the staff was overly friendly and I felt like I was someone. The girl that worked in the breakfeast room was very nice and each morning remembered our names and what we had to drink the day before. I would highly recommend a stay.

Room Tip: Ocean front with a balconly.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 7devils

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
north carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

We came to the Blockade Runner Thanksgiving weekend for the wonderful Holiday Flotilla . The hotel is decorated in a wonderful retro style, but modern at the same time. Our kingsize room beachside in the Annex was large and airy, and with a minimalist but cheerful modern feel. Wonderful well furnished balcony that caught the sun and warmth with a fabulous view of the beach. We could actually see the beach from our bed! The staff was continually friendly and helpful, and the free breakfast was far superior to the usual offerings at chain hotels. One night we enjoyed delicious seafood nachos in the pleasant bar for a quick supper. Its great to be able to watch the flotilla from the hotels property backside on the waterway. We were right next to the judges stand, so the boats came up close. The fireworks show afterwards surprised us by being absolutely beautiful and extended. A visit to the Battleship, walks on the north side of the island and dinner in the lovely little downtown added up to a wonderful weekend.

Room Tip: Our wonderful room was 4th floor, Beachside in the Annex with a king sized bed.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
deer park,ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

My husband and I stayed here in June 2012. The hotel has a great location on the beach in Wrightsville Beach. We had an ocean front room. If it had a balcony it would have been perfect.
Drinks a little pricey, I thought I was in NYC! Nice pool and pool bar.
One night they had a "Luau" for the guests. There was advertising all over the hotel for this event. My husband and I attended and we then received a bill for our meal. There was no mention of the charge on any of the advertising. If I had know, I would have ate much more than I did. The food was just ok and definitely not worth the $40 a person they charged.
Other than that, I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean front of course! but even not, you always get a waterview from your room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

My stay at the Blockade Runner was wonderful. My great experience started from the moment I arrived at the airport, from where I was collected by a friendly, chatty and polite shuttle driver. On the journey he talked enthusiastically about Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach, and gave me great tips for things to do. My room was really big, with two very comfortable beds and a beautiful view of the intra-coastal waterway. The bathroom was very well equipped. Overall, the room felt very homely. On my first night at the hotel I ate dinner in the busy restaurant. The meal was incredible value and was honestly one of the best I've eaten. Seriously amazing food. Breakfast each morning was plentiful and delicious. The best thing about the hotel, though, is the staff. Everyone was so friendly, kind and helpful. On my last night I asked at the front desk if they knew whether there would be any cafes/restaurants open at the airport early the next morning. They said they didn't, but they'd "have a brainstorm". Half an hour later, room service shows up with a plate of crackers, a croissant, fresh fruit and butter. What amazing service. They didn't even charge for the room service delivery. On the way the shuttle driver asked if he'd like him to stop en route so I could pick up breakfast, but I let him know his colleagues had arranged one. Overall, this was a great stay and I'd love to return.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the intra-coastal waterway are lovely.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank weaselbearEngland
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

We were very pleased with the front desk staff , they were very informative and offered a free shutttle service . Plus, the room was spotless . We used the jacuzzi...very relaxing. Wish it was warm out to use the pool! The free breakfast buffet was delicious !!!!

Room Tip: We had a harbor view room...lovely looking out over the water ! Very quiet ...nice glass doors to le...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank grooveygirl65
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

We live in Wilmington and have 2 little ones so getting away can be hard. Booked a night at blockade runner and so glad we did. We felt hundreds of miles from home instead of only 5! Have been to the hotel for dining and events but never overnight. We were upgraded to a balcony oceanfront room upon arrival. Happened to be a warm day so got in some some time at the pool and just enjoyed the scenery. Staff was great, bed was comfy, balcony was a great upgrade and even included a full complimentary breakfast! We will be back!

• Stayed October 2012
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

We have stayed at the Blockade previously, and would definitely stay again, if we are in the area. This time we were on the oceanside, with a balcony, and its was BEAUTIFUL. The first time, we were on the marina side, and thought that was nice, but nothing beats a balcony room, overlooking the beauty of the ocean and the crashing of the waves. HEAVEN on earth. The room was very nice, comfortable and clean, with the exception of NO microwave and NO room safe. Those are 2 amenities I think all rooms should have, but we did survive without them. Front desk staff was welcoming and VERY helpful. Usually don't do dinners in hotels, but dinner at the Blockade was DELICIOUS. Had already recommended to a friend who resides in Wilmington. Breakfast was good, but they ran out of alot of things by 8:30. :( Get there early.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Been to Blockade Runner Beach Resort? Share your experiences!