Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach(Wrightsville Beach)(Great Value!)
US$192
US$182
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Shell Island Resort(Wrightsville Beach)(Great Value!)
US$218
US$213
Hotels.com
Silver Gull Motel(Wrightsville Beach)(Great Value!)
US$146
Travelocity
US$149
US$131
Residence Inn Wilmington Landfall(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$286
US$146
Hotels.com
Surf Suites Motel(Wrightsville Beach)
Harbor Inn(Wrightsville Beach)
Waterway Lodge(Wrightsville Beach)
Sandpeddler Inn & Suites(Wrightsville Beach)
TripAdvisor
2,399 results
All reviewspool bartile floorsbeach chairsbalcony roombreakfast buffetsound sideocean viewgreat beachstaff was very friendlywrightsvillebalconiesvaletaccommodationsconferencecarolina
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The Pros:

Wonderful location on Wrightsville Beach.
Views from the Oceanside rooms is fantastic.
The staff are accommodating and friendly.
The rooms and public areas are clean.
Location is walking distance to restaurants and bars.

The Cons:

Rooms need updating - furniture old and tired. Lighting is terrible.
The hallways leading to the bedrooms are soulless and depressing.
Cost of 2 beach chairs and 1 umbrella is $30 per day. This should be included in room price.
Indoor restaurant decor is cold and utilitarian.
Outside bar/restaurant is expensive for what it is.

Would I go again? Probably, but I would like to see some of the Cons rectified before I visited again.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms with a balcony if you can spring for it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

This was marketed as 'the romance package extended weekend'. There is nothing romantic about this hotel other than the location. The place is OLD. Needs updating and repair. Upon check in our room was not up to par. We paid extra for oceanfront and the view was nice. A balcony would have been great but we did not get one. A light was out in the bathroom, and the doorknob was hanging off. We reported this to the front desk and they changed the bulb promptly.
The bathroom was small, had no fan or ventilation, so that was slightly uncomfortable.
There was no rod or line to dry swimsuits on. Being at the beach, that is a necessity.

No safes in the room so we used a safe at the front desk. No problem.

Our first night was less than romantic since something was wrong with the mattress and we felt like we were sinking and rolling into the middle. Could not sleep. Maintenance came the next day to discover that our bed frame was completely BROKEN! They promptly replaced it and also fixed our doorknob. Slept better after that.

My hubby was annoyed at the spotty WiFi. We run a business and need a reliable connection.

The drinks at the pool bar are super expensive for what you get. Price for a piña colada was 15 dollars and it came in a white styrofoam cup with no garnish or umbrella. Had a watery texture.

Daily breakfast buffet was included in our package. If this wasn't included I would NEVER have paid for this bland, low quality breakfast. The muffins were good but most else was tasteless. They served the same yucky buffet daily. By the last day we were sick of it. The restaurant is crowded and the food on the buffet runs out fast and is not always replenished.

Included in our package was a 4 course 'romantic' dinner. We had a waitress in training. She dropped a glass of water in my husbands lap! She did not return after that. The lobster bisque was excellent. The rest of the food was bland and my steak was rare. I like steak more well done. Waitress never checked on us to see if everything was ok. Finally my husband went to get someone to re-cook my food. By the time that happened my husband was finished eating and I was no longer hungry.

Ok, so we were looking forward to dessert. Our favorite, chocolate mousse! Well...my husband said it tasted like play dough. It was pasty and hard. We couldn't eat it! So disappointed!! My decaf coffee tasted like instant Sanka. Gross.

I have to say that we sat outside and the decor and atmosphere was lovely. The musician was good too. He sang a lot of our favorite songs.

The grounds and landscaping are lush and beautiful. Very well kept. The pool was nice. Small but adequate.

We had a good rest and enjoyed our time together despite the minor disappointments. Would we return? Not to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Linda5355
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My girlfriend and I just returned from another wonderful stay at the Blockade Runner. I consider myself to be pretty fussy when it comes to choosing a hotel and even though this is an older hotel it is very well maintained! The rooms are updated, the grounds and beach area are beautiful, and the food is very good. Some previous reviews complain about price, but I would challenge them to find a place right on the beach that offers a FREE buffet breakfast with plenty to choose from along with a great staff that provide excellent service!! I for one will return and look forward to doing so in the future! Keep up the great work!!

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor for a better view!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This is the third summer my family (10 to 12 of us) has stayed at this hotel - I have to say that I think the quality has definitely deteriorated. You can get a better breakfast at a Holiday Inn - the beach is nice, but everything about the hotel is dated - hopefully I can convince the other members to try a different hotel - very expensive for what you get!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marianne G
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We had a lovely meal at East on a busy Saturday and had a wonderful time taking in the garden view and the ocean sounds...the crab cake and the lobster roll were excellent! It was a relaxing lunch during the busy season and we will certainly be back to try a few other items on their menu!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple