The Blockade Runner is located in our adopted hometown, so we wouldn't have stayed overnight if something special weren't available. Which there was, on a recent New Year's Eve weekend: A one night, dinner/dancing/party package that was reasonably priced. We knew the hotel from previous lunch, dinner, and pool visits, so we were aware of the terrific beachfront setting, the satisfying menu choices, and the dependably good service. Our room was a nice surprise: Balcony with stunning view of the ocean, and although not a suite, a sofa that divided the space into a plausible sitting/entertaining area in front of the sleeping area--and with the ocean view before us and our friends. We enjoyed the stay so much that we decided to spend a second night. The hotel is situated across the street from the Intracoastal Waterway (some rooms view this side, and are probably quite nice), and there are many places along it to sit and watch passing boats and, since you'll be facing west, the sun setting over the water. There are no sidewalks to easily stroll the Waterway, but the hotel has its own grassy, secluded area with a number of chairs, immediately across from the parking lot. And mention should be made of the grassy, landscaped expanse on the ocean side of the hotel. It includes a putting green, and its greenery is unique to Wrightsville Beach hotel properties. Our only reason for giving 4 stars instead of 5 is a lapse in service. The morning of Jan. 1 we arrived at the dining room for our complimentary breakfast at very near to their closing time, and were told they were closing up--we were not offered coffee, danish, whatever we might take with us that didn't require table service. We asked for such, and were rather impolitely told "No." We registered a complaint with the concierge, but never heard back. However, we did stay a second night, found the service to be again as good as we'd had previously, and wound up deciding that the morning after New Year's Eve may not be the best time to try a hotel's staff's patience. Overall, Wrightsville Beach offers one, maybe two, better hotels, but Blockade Runner is more than adequate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only NC luxury resort offering all waterfront rooms, the best of both sound and sea, with either Atlantic Ocean or Banks Channel Sound views. Just steps to the sand, and even closer to the sound, the waterfront balconies offer great sunrises and sets with invigorating breezes. Activities within minutes of your room: sailing, fishing, kayaking, SUP and eco-tours, a complete fitness center (including whirlpool and dry sauna), and seasonal yoga on the seaside gardens lawn. A supervised "Sandcampers" program provides crafts, evening activities, lawn games, beach fun, pool, and island excursions for children aged five until twelve. The Outdoor Patio Bar combines casual dining with spectacular views, while the award winning EAST Oceanfront Dining delivers only the freshest local seafood, lobster, delicious wine tastings, fabulous comfort food, and the ever-popular Sunday Brunch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Blockade Runner Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blockade Runner Wrightsville Beach
- Blockade Runner Hotel Wrightsville Beach