“Will definitely return”

Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Will definitely return”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I just spent six nights at Blockade Runner with my family of five (sons 15, 19 and 21). We all loved it. The hotel has a location that cannot be beat. Beachfront with the added perk of sound side activities across the street from the main entrance. The hotel offers kayak, SUP and four person catamaran rentals. We took the guided kayak tour with Monty and loved it. Rented SUPs and it was great fun. My sons took a catamaran sailing lesson and loved that too. The beach has a great sandbar for body surfing during low tide.

Our rooms were queens with oceanfront views, juliet balcony. The furniture and decor was contemporary. The rooms were a good size and had everything we needed. Fridge but no microwave. Housekeeping cleaned every day. View of ocean and sunrise were fantastic.

The breakfast buffet (included with room rate) is very good and there is a huge variety so all should be content. All the hotel staff is polite, friendly and helpful. You can rent two lounge chairs and an umbrella on the beach for $30 for a full day or you can bring your own. The pool is a good size and has ample lounge chairs. The tiki bar is right next to the pool and steps from the beach so you can easily get lunch during the day without changing out of your bathing suit. The lawn located between the hotel and the beach is expansive and a fun place for kids and adults to play. They have corn hole and some mini soccer type goals. I think they should provide bocci ball, the lawn is perfect for that game. They also offer a variety of activities throughout the week which you can get the details from Concierge in the lobby. Usually there is a charge but some of the things I saw listed were (yoga classes, pirate story telling, pool party from 6p to 8:30 pm on a Wednesday night, dinner specials at East Restaurant)

When you need more than the resort, the drive from the hotel over the causeway to Wilmington city limits is about 5 minutes. There you will find any and everything (restaurants, retail, movie theatre.....). You just can't beat the location of this hotel/resort. We will definitely return.

1 Thank GMDON2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The hotel was nicely updated and clean. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The guest room was simple and the beds were very comfortable. We had a nice ocean view with a balcony. The hotel had a nice resort like feeling to it. It is the perfect place to stay with your family. The food was very good with pleasant and attentive service. The beach was not overcrowded and you can rent nice lounge chairs and umbrellas. We only stayed overnight but it was a very relaxing getaway and we look forward to going again this summer.

raleigh nc
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Blockade Runner is a great place to stay. The staff are welcoming and helpful. The free breakfast buffet is delicious (eggs, grits, sausage, bacon, oatmeal, pancakes, toast, pastries, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal, muffins..and more). The location can't be beat. This was our second stay at BR. We booked the queen oceanfront no balcony room (room 535). The last time we stayed in a king oceanfront no balcony room on (I think) the 4th floor. I will say that I think the room we stayed in last time was nicer because the bathroom seemed larger. This bathroom in 535 was tiny and some updates had been made, but it had not been fully renovated as the shower looked like it had been there for some time and the hand held shower head leaked. It was clean and functional, but if you want a more luxurious experience, I would say to book a king room with a larger bathroom. This room is an adjoining room so if you are a light sleeper, know that you may hear your neighbors. Our neighbors in 537 talked loudly at 6am and fussed a bit. No biggie since we were only staying 2 nights and they were quiet after about an hour. Also, the 5th floor is not carpeted so there is more hallway noise than on the carpeted floors. I would give 4 stars for cleanliness rather than 5 only because the baseboards and door casings in our room could have used a dusting and wiping down. Unless you are obsessive about cleanliness, this won't be an issue. I just look for these things. I am sure in the off season they are able to give everything a thorough scrub-down, but in the busy season with rooms constantly turning over, I understand that hotels can't clean everything like we do at home. We ate lunch by the pool both days and the food was outstanding, just like at breakfast. For dinner one night, we went to the popular and overrated restaurant on the ocean with the pier (you know which one), and the food was just okay for $23 entrees. You are really paying for the view. I say go there for a beer and appetizer and spend your dinner allowance somewhere else. The other night, we ate at South Beach Grill and it was delicious and we paid the same amount we paid at the other place. I highly recommend South Beach Grill. They have gluten free options. I had the Salmon Lumina. Even if you don't usually like salmon, you will like this dish. My husband had the blackened tuna and it was equally as good. I regret that we didn't try East for dinner, which is BR's on-site restaurant. Because our breakfast and lunch was so good on on-site, I'm sure the dinner would have been as well. We will stay at the Blockade Runner again.

Room Tip: If you want the best chance at a good night's sleep, ask for a room on a floor with a carpeted h...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sjt079
Chapel Hill NC
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have never been treated so kindly by staff had such a great experience in general or a nicer room in my many stays in the Wilmington area. The food was exquisite, excellent complimentary breakfast, etc. Wonderful helpful staff. Best hotel I have EVER stayed in!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Someone wrote a complaint blog regarding the outdated lobby furniture. I did not think it was bad previously (from 2013), however, I am glad to report the lobby has new very moderate furniture. We had an ocean view on the seventh floor, it was wonderful. The room was clean with an updated shower, the bed was great. The staff were extremely friendly, the breakfast buffet was excellent, beach access and gardens were great. In season, they do not accept Military or any other discount. Requested ice twice, it was never delivered, did not have wash cloths in room upon arrival. No problems, will return for another stay.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Immediately upon check-in, we were greeted by friendly staff. We got in very early, and since our type of room was not available, we were upgraded. The oceanfront rooms were clean, quiet, had a great deck, and fairly spacious, but the furniture is a little outdated from the decor. The dresser drawers literally fall out when you pull the drawers open. The food in the on-site restaurant was pretty good, and there's a friendly concierge to help with dinner ideas, kayak rentals, etc. the outdoor pool was nice, and they have a great bar to grab a bite or drink. At the pool, you can rent boogie board or surf boards, and they had a decent amount.

After a quick 1 minute walk, you'll find yourself at a great whites sand beach, where you can rent lounge chairs and umbrellas.

They have a complimentary valet service and when I needed to find a quick mart for some evening snacks, they graciously drove me in their town car to a market several blocks away.

The resorts property is nicely landscaped and maintained, with a large grass area for soccer and other lawn games. We saw a bunch of brown bunnies on the lawn. They rent kayaks and paddle boards across the street by the Inter-coastal side. The kids had fun in the water over there too and saw blue crab and large jelly fish.

My only complaints here are: There's no where to hang towels in the room! There's one hook in the shower, where our swimsuits dripped dried but no where for bath towels. The gift shop only has cookies, water and soda. Nothing for a late night snack, and the closest store closed at 9pm. Having a larger array of snacks (nuts, chips, etc. would have been great). For a 4 person room, we consistently received 3 bath towels.

Overall, great place, great location, extremely friendly staff, clean rooms and good food. I would definitely return!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Monika G
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We went to Wrightsville for first time for funeral. Thought be nice to stay on beach since only had two days. I paid for marina view and upon check in was offered ocean front for more. NOT worth it unless get ocean front with balcony. I asked to be moved back to marina view and they refunded my cost and let me stay which was very nice. Bartender at pool bar very nice and gave us recommendations. Little did we know only few options in town. Like Blockade runner as mid island and can walk to everything. They charge for beach chairs which is bummer as we checked at 3:30 and got to beach 4pm, surrounded by empty chairs all over beach and only used for hour. Breakfast included which was nice, fruit fabulous.

Room Tip: Do not pay extra for ocean view unless get room with balcony.
1 Thank Arlington30
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Been to Blockade Runner Beach Resort? Share your experiences!