Shell Island Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Ocean View Motel(Wrightsville Beach)
Average 3/5
    Silver Gull Motel(Wrightsville Beach)
    Harbor Inn(Wrightsville Beach)
    Waterway Lodge(Wrightsville Beach)
    Excellent 5/5
    1,103 results
    All reviewshalf bathsmall balconyindoor and outdoor poolsliving roomocean viewbeach chairsfamily vacationrooms face the oceanbeautiful beachtwo double bedssleeper sofabeach weddingfull kitchenthe entire staffmeredithconferencewilmington
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 11 July 2013

Shell Island has always been our local beach getaway favorite. It is a one stop shop really. Most of the rooms are renovated and up to date with decor and technology. There is an indoor heated pool, an outdoor pool and jacuzzi. There is a restaurant with a bar. There is also a pool side tiki bar. The service is usually exceptional and friendly. The only downside on my last visit there with my husband was that the girl that was standing at the hostess stand said they weren't serving lunch only the breakfast buffet. So we made our way to the bar where we could order off the 'lunch' menu. She seemed pretty clueless and not very happy to be there. The bartender totally made up for her discrepancies. The only thing there is that she was doing the job of 3 or 4 people. Totally backed up and the kitchen was out of sooo many things. The bartender for the Tiki Bar called in sick so it wasn't open. That was a bummer. We enjoyed our stay for the most part and understand that things happen. I hope they get their restaurant, bar and kitchen up to par with the potential that this place has. It is a wonderful get away.

Room Tip: I love the floor because then no one is above you. All of the rooms have beautiful ocean views.
    • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
    Chris V, Guest Relations Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

Dear AngelaParrish,

We are glad that you enjoyed your time here again at Shell Island and agree that it really does have the best of everything including a beautiful location and a great staff! Our restaurant has gone through many changes with a new chef, menus, and daily specials featuring fresh local seafood. Much of our wait staff is new and consistently being trained on a daily basis. Your comments are valued and used for coaching sessions at their weekly department meeting. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience and I look forward to meeting you on a future visit. If you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at 910-256-8696.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Service is terrible. We waited in line for an hour to get a chair and umbrella. Guy came back and said they are sold out. Went back today and a line of people have waited once again and no attendant. Room was cleaned. Desk attendant was nasty and rude. There are better values for the money. Asked to speak with the manager on several occasions and were told we could not because they weren't there. Have come to this property for 6 years and now that they are "under new management" they have truly gone down

• Stayed: July 2013
    5  Thank DCS1230clt
    Chris V, Guest Relations Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear DCS1230clt,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your business. Here at Shell Island, guest service is our number one priority and we are so sorry for the challenges during your stay. Please give me a call at 910-256-8696 so we can discuss specifically what those issues were.

Chris V.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Let me start by saying that I understand that some of the rooms here are nicer than others. We clearly had one of the outdated rooms at the resort. The location and beach are excellent and there are some positives about our stay here. Walking right on the beach for a family of 6 is awesome as well as the two pools. The food wasn't bad either. We stayed 5 days and our room was "cleaned" one time. I had to call the front desk 3 times one day to get housekeeping to come up, and they only vacuumed and changed the garbage. Nic and Rebecca at the front desk were friendly and helpful, but I did encounter one rude front desk worker and wish I had gotten his name. We had left our pool/beach towels that they leave in the room for you at the beach, and the kids wanted to use the pool. I went to the front desk to ask for a couple of towels so I wouldn't have to lug my 4 kids to the beach and back just to get towels. His response was "they are in your room." When I explained he then replied "No" and I said "wow, you guys are really tight with your towels... and he said, (VERY rudely) " well, that's what happens when you lose 10,000 towels a year"

I get that they do not want to give away towels, but I would have been glad to give them right back after the kids were done at the pool etc... I think we could have worked something out other than his rude response!! We spent a lot of money to stay there and in my opinion, it was not worth it. I don't think I deserved to be treated that way.

Although the location is great, we definitely will not go back. I think if you bring some of your own pool/beach towels, get an updated room and housekeeping gets it together it could be a great place to stay...

Room Tip: Ask for a more updated room. The higher up the better views and the parking garage won't be on the other side of you.
    • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
    3  Thank PTO1999
    Chris V, Guest Relations Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Dear PTO1999,

We are glad you enjoyed our beautiful beach location and we agree that this is an excellent spot on the island to enjoy the beach. Our new chef in the restaurant has come up with some great new dishes to add to the menu as well. I am so happy you got to interact with Nic and Rebekah, who are two of our top employees when it comes to guest service. That being said please let me sincerely apologize for the way you were treated by one of our employees during your most recent stay at the resort. Excellence in guest services is our top goal and what you experienced is not a standard of how the staff treats our guests here at Shell Island. The staff member should have found a way to work with you regarding the pool towels and he has been informed that his behavior toward you completely fell short of expectations for our guests. Also, our housekeeping team is striving to work harder to service our guests better as well and we apologize for any issues you had while here. I hope that your recent experience does not keep you from staying with us again. Should you decide to come back, please call me at 910-256-8696 and we will make sure that your room exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

So let me preface this by saying that we got married at Shell Island this past weekend. The wedding and everything about it went perfectly. The staff (Meredith and George specifically) went above and beyond to make it a truly unforgettable weekend and I'd highly recommend Shell Island for anyone looking to have a beach wedding in the area.

This review though is solely about the property as a hotel. The grounds are beautiful. It's right at the end of the property so there are no other properties to the north of Shell Island. It almost feels like you have an entire beach to yourself. The beach is never crowded. Shell Island has a service that you can rent beach chairs from for a reasonable fee. Even on a day where they weren't renting chairs out, one of the kids who works for the hotel went and got us two of them. This is just one example of how great the people at Shell Island are and it's one of the resorts real highlights. I did not eat in the restaurant but the food that they had for the wedding and rehearsal dinner was amazing. The pool bar was a nice touch as well.

The rooms themselves were the only hiccup in this beautiful property. As I understand it, they are all individually owned and therefore, no two look the same. While this adds some charm, it means that they are very "hit or miss". Our room, while having great views from the balcony, had definetley seen better days. The AC went out on the day of our wedding. The carpet was frayed in several areas and the bathroom fixtures clearly needed some updating, or at least heavy cleaning. It also had this weird monkey lamp (I kid you not) that I'm pretty sure will haunt my dreams.

All in all, this would be a great resort for a family with two kids as mom and dad can sleep in the bedroom while the kids get the living room with pullout couch. We will definetly stay here again, if mainly for the views and sentimental value. You likely won't be spending much time in your room anyway.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank John C
    Chris V, Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear johncrawford25,

First and foremost, congratulations for getting married and we at Shell Island wish you much joy and happiness. We are so thrilled that you were able to spend your special day with us and enjoyed the quiet serenity that is our special corner on Wrightsville Beach. Thank you for staying with us and for your kind comments about our staff. We always strive to give the best guest service that we can and our staff is among the best in the industry. As for the condition of your rooms, please let me apologize for what you experienced. Having the AC go out on a summer day can definitely be irritating and I am so sorry that happened. Our staff does try to keep up with maintenance in the hotel on a regular basis to avoid issues like that from occurring. As far as the room being dated, the owners are aware of their room conditions and do strive to keep their rooms in the best shape possible. The hotel is also in the process of grading each room type to make sure that they meet the quality of standards for our guests. Please feel free to give me a call before your next trip at (910) 256-8696 before your next visit and we will make sure the AC is working properly and that the room will meet the highest standards for your next visit.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

The beach is wider in this part of wrightsville beach & is lovely, but probably wouldn't stay here again because of housekeeping issues & the small feel of the place.. I didn't realize until after I booked that this is a condo-hotel, thus every apartment is different. They charge more for the condos that have more updated furnishings & granite countertops. We stayed in a standard one bedroom king condo, room 912, the furnishings were not my taste, but appeared to have been recently purchased.The rooms were smaller than I thought they would be--the bedroom was about 14x12 feet with a small closet & an adjoining approx. 5 x 8 bathroom. Next to that bathroom was a half bath that opened to both the full bath & the hallway that led to the living room/kitchenette/dining area, which was approx 17 x 17 feet including the small balcony that had 2 plastic chairs & a small side table. The kitchenette was about 7 feet worth of counter consisting of a sink, cooktop w/2 electric burners (one was broken) microwave & undercounter fridge & had pots, dishes, glasses, silverware. There was another small closet there, a pullout couch, 2 chairs & small dining table with 4 chairs & tv & another tv in the bedroom. No in-room safe & did not feel comfortable leaving valuables in room. Housekeeping was very inconsistent. Rooms looked clean when we got there, but they only vacuumed once in 5 night stay, had to ask for more shampoo, paper towels for kitchen at front desk. Appeared to have never cleaned toilets or sinks while we were there. There was a $5 per day environmental fee, not sure what it covered, left a small tip for housekeeping--hope I didn't end up tipping them twice.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank 523Deedee

Dear 523Deedee,

Thank you so much for staying with us and we agree that the beach on the north end of the island is lovely. Please let me extend my sincerest apologies for the housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay. Consistency among the housekeepers was addressed in our most recent meeting and we are working hard to improve in that department. We would love to see you back so please give me a call at (910) 256-8696 before your next arrival and we will make sure that the room meets the excellent quality of standards that our guests are used to. The environmental fees are used to help preserve the beach and the bird sanctuary next to the hotel. We appreciate your comments and feedback from travelers, such as yourself, as they only help us strive to be better. Please contact us with any other questions or concerns.

Guest Service Manager