We stayed at Shell Island Resort because it was the site of a wedding that we were going to. I can't comment on how it compares relative to other hotels that were at Wrightsville Beach, but comparing it to other hotels that I have stayed in, this property was pretty poor, especially if it purports to be a 3 1/2-star beach resort.
The rooms are spacious - they only offer suites with at least a living room and a bedroom. But that's where the good parts end. The decor of the room looks like it's a mashup of a few decades solely because any new decor was brought in just to replace older furniture that was getting worn. It could have just been better for the hotel to do a mass renovation of rooms to bring everything to the current century. That said, everything was fairly clean and the furniture was comfortable.
The water, however, was a whole different story. The tap water stank up the bathroom because of, presumably from the reviews that preceded this, the sulfur content and/or the way that the water is treated. I understand that it just isn't fixable by the property, but it really worsens the entire experience, especially if you are coming back from the beach and you need a shower. The fact that I'd rather smell like salty ocean water than the tap water that comes out of the faucets is saying a lot. It makes it worse that anything you do or get at the hotel that requires tap water - from brushing your teeth to getting iced tea at the restaurant - is tainted with that smell.
Service was a bit of a mess. We arrived around 1:30 in the afternoon and were fine with dropping things off and coming back later to the room. But one of the front desk staff told us that the room would be ready in 15 minutes. Over a half-hour later, it was finally ready, and we basically wasted time just sitting in the lobby waiting for this room to be open. Even worse was that no more than ten minutes after we settled in to the room, a housekeeper decided to walk right into the suite without knocking because she thought it was unoccupied. We ended up having a Do Not Disturb sign on our door for the entire stay.
Lastly, because we were there for a beach wedding, we casually asked the front desk staff what the weather would be like the next day. The reply was a stern, "Rain," when the forecast actually called for a 20% chance of rain. It's a minor point, but for a wedding venue, you would expect there to be a little bit more empathy than that. Luckily, the day of the wedding was absolutely rainless and everything went well.
The only redeeming quality was the fact that the room that the wedding reception was held in looked like it was renovated relatively recently and well-maintained. It was really the only thing in the hotel that looked like it belongs in the recent decade.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the northern tip of Wrightsville Beach, Shell Island Resort is surrounded by a sprawling expanse of sand and unparalleled views of the Atlantic Ocean, Mason’s Inlet, and Figure Eight Island. This family-friendly resort and hotel boasts a front row seat to the beckoning sea and a beach that seems to stretch endlessly, making it feel like it is yours alone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Shell Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shell Island Oceanfront Hotel
- Shell Island Oceanfront Resort
- Shell Island Resort Nc
- Wrightsville Beach Shell Island Resort
- Shell Island North Carolina
- Shell Island Hotel
- Shell Island Nc
- Shell Island Resort North Carolina
- Shell Isl All Oceanfront Suites
- Shell Is Resort Wrightsville Beach