“Shell Island Resort - Comfortable/Great Beach”

Shell Island Resort
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was our third stay at Shell Island Resort and we enjoyed our stay. This hotel is older - comfortable, not luxurious - but it doesn't really matter since the real attraction is the location at the end of Lumina - beach on one side and protected wetlands on the other. All rooms are oceanfront, there is covered parking and the onsite restaurant has upgraded their menu since our last stay. I noted several comments about uncomfortable beds...at check-in we noticed that our mattress was "upside down", i.e. the pillow top was on the bottom. We flipped it right side up and all was well.

Room Tip: I would request a room that is not over the restaurant/event area for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Just left the hotel. Had a nice vacation. I liked the location of the hotel. The water was clear and waves perfect. Great beach for long walks. Hotel was nice. I have to say though I think the on line photos made it look more glamorous. Our room was good. Mattresses very comfortable. Each room has a waterfront view, except maybe the 1st floor. view is gorgeous. staff was very friendly especially Gabby who was always smiley and very helpful. We like that we had a mini kitchen for breakfast and such. Nice that they had an indoor and outdoor pool and helpful pool bartender. hot tub super small. Plenty of undercover parking. did not eat at the restaurant but it looked and smelled good. I used the fitness room. It was standard. small, but had a tv and water and towels and some equipment. No complaints. They did say they had volleyballs for the volleyball net out on the beach, but when we went to get a ball, they really only had soccer balls. that doesn't work for volleyball. they need to order new volleyballs if they are telling people they have them. Our water heater was set to scalding, we told the manager. Probably isolated to our unit. not safe for kids. did have some house keeping issues. spoke to the manager. He has nice about it. He tried to rectify the situation. he also apologized and let me know that they were aware they had some recent issues and he was working on fixing them. Overall my husband liked the place. It was a good vacation. Not a big bustling town. Wish there was a putt putt nearby. Not a lot in Wrightsville, but my husband liked that. :) Oh, check out the community pier at night, we saw folks catching small sandsharks. :) OH, almost forgot the SLOWEST wifi I have ever had. I felt like I was back in dial up days. Had to use my hot spot it was soooooooo bad. It was so bad I could not play Pandora at the gym, it kept cutting out. Downloads take like 10-15 minutes, really. They need an updated wifi system badly..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DebbiefromMaryland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Arrived at hotel at 3:30 after a day of traveling and moving daughter in college at UNCW and was told our room wasn't quite ready but housekeeping was in the room and it wouldn't be long. We went and got a bite to eat. He took my number and said he would call as soon as it became available. Returned a hour later and was told our room wasn't ready. I sat in lobby that was burning hot and waited. When I went back up to counter a different person thought it was my first time trying to check in. He told me my room wasn't quite ready but housekeeping was taking care of it. Then I was told it had to be inspected. They ask me to go to bar and wait but by that time I had massive headache. Sat in bar for 15 minutes and went back to desk to tell them to cancel my reservation. A different man said he would give me a free upgrade since my room wasn't clean. People, check out is 11:00 and at 5:30 they are trying to tell me room wasn't clean. Bullcrap. It made no sense because I had prepaid on my AmEx card but people were walking in from street wanting rooms and were given rooms before me. We finally got in our room at 6:00. Room was clean and only complaint about room is the washcloths were stained. I'm sure they were clean but I don't want to see someone else's stain while I shower. Would I stay there again? No, it is overpriced , even with my free upgrade because of my complaining. Holiday Inn Resort is just a block away and I will try that next time.

Room Tip: Room 618 was clean.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Renee N
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

The beach is very wide, clean and the water was clear and warm. The hotel was recently renovated but still a bit tired in areas. Every room has a good view but higher floors are better. Sheets had some stains and overall decor is average. The outdoor bar was good but closed too early.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Brian D
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Last year we really enjoyed our visit but this year there were notable improvements - friendlier management with a terrific, helpful staff & the Shell Island restaurant food was much better. Both times we were on the 9th floor enjoying glorious views of the ocean (from living room area) & the bay (from bedroom) which make Shell Island Resort a special place. The beach is beautiful- lots of shells & a serene, quiet place too, (with good live weekend entertainment by the pool), but a short hop in the car to fine dining. Great for swimming, walking to the tip of the island & enjoying eco tours & kayaking in the bay - glorious! Fun biking too. I only wish the resort had beach wheelchairs but the city of Wrightsville Beach provides FREE handicap beach wheel chairs-just call in advance to reserve if you are traveling with someone who lives the beach, but can't walk much - a joy for my Mom. Don't forget to pat the 'wild' rabbits. We look forward to returning again!

Room Tip: High floors for the awesome views & serenity. If you have a spcial celebration, reserve a place...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bunny F
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Shell Island Resort has magnificent views on a stretch of terrific beach! As important to us is the fact that the resort is alone at almost the very tip of the coast line here. It made it seem much more remote!

The rooms aren't overly spacious, but were CLEAN and just right for our family of 4. We stayed on an upper level, having read that recommendation from another Trip Advisor reviewer-- the little balcony is a perfect place for coffee in the morning and wine in the evening.

There is some wear-- some of the towels should be retired at the end of this season and carpeted rooms at the beach are SO hard to keep looking good. BUT, the lobby is nice, the outdoor pool and bar area are very attractive and the on-site restaurant was good. The friendly desk staff, restaurant staff, housekeepers and bartenders make it a very comfortable place.

Wrightsville is not our favorite NC beach, but if we return to Wrightsville, we'll return to Shell Island Resort!

Room Tip: Definitely choose an upper level room for the fantastic views!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank D C
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was at Shell Island Resort for a week long conference and it couldn't have been better. George, Meridith and the other staff were awesome to work with. The location, facilities and rooms were great.. I would highly recommend staying there for a family vacation or for a business function.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter because they are all oceanfront rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Golden Sands
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!