So many things went wrong at my wedding here... the beach is beautiful and the room updates and hotel were nice but my experience with management was and remains to be ridiculous
let me list all the things that went wrong
- As soon as Meredith ( the event coordinator) received a deposit for our wedding, I did not find her anywhere near as helpful as she was prior to receiving it, nor was she very helpful to my parents or in-laws whenever they had questions. One example of this would be when we came down to finalize things in February with our parents, they were promised upgraded rooms and neither one of them received such. And when Meredith was asked about this there was not a reasonable answer or compensation.
- When I arrived 3 days before my wedding there was no reservation for me or my husband.
- We finally got a room after 45 minutes of trying to figure something out.
- My grandmother and father shared a room, and were supposed to have 2 queen beds and they ended up sharing a queen. This was particularly uncomfortable for both of them as they are both handicapped and the pull out couch was difficult for them to fold and unfold each day. We spoke with the front desk and I informed Meredith, and nothing was done. I had spoken with Meredith about this reservation months prior to arriving.
- My husband’s grandmother was supposed to have a handicap accessible room, and did not get one. One was available, however when the issue was brought to the attention of the front desk my in-laws were told they would be charged over $350/night instead of the $139/night reduced rate for the wedding party. Again I informed Meredith about this and all I got was an email saying she would look into it.
- The morning of my wedding 15 minutes before my bridal party was about to start getting ready, including myself, I get a phone call saying we needed to change rooms because they gave me a room that was already reserved by the owners. The best part is they didn’t even know where I was moving to, they just told me to start packing to leave. It took my father in-law and myself calling and going to the front desk for over 45 minutes to get some kind of an answer.
- During the room change, some personal items never made it to the new room, the most important of these items was a $300 set of a hair dryer and hair straightener.
- Finally we are in the new room and getting ready, and my guests are telling me that their rooms were not ready at check in time. My wedding started at 5pm and some guests didn’t get into their room until almost 4:45pm! Thank God it was raining and we held off for 30 minutes, so they had a little bit of time to get themselves together. But people were standing around and using other people rooms until the last minute.
- People who I also made personal room requests for with Meredith, did not receive upgraded rooms as promised, or the right kind ( i.e. getting a king bed when 2 queens were requested)
- My Grandmother/fathers room was supposed to be put on my card, and they were charged on theirs. When I spoke to the front desk they said nothing could be done.
- I was also told my room would be free on my wedding night, and I was charged for it.
- Then 2 days before the wedding we meet with Meredith to do a run through, and she lets us know that she will not be handling the wedding her assistant was. This is after months of her telling me she would be handling things and making sure things ran smoothly. I do not recall the assistants name, she was nice prior to the wedding but I only saw her 1 time once things got started, and this was towards the end of the night.
- On top of everything, my husband’s credit card was also charged for staying at the hotel; charges that were already on my credit card!
- And finally I had to call you multiple times to get any kind of answer. I told you I needed an answer before the 23rd of May because I would be gone for my honey moon and out of cellular service, and surprise when I turned my phone back on after returning to the country 2 days ago, there was a voicemail left on the afternoon of the 24th informing me of the $200 refund.
after months of emailing and waiting I pretty much got an email stating, too bad, sorry you didn't like the services, $200 is all your getting back. This hotel easily made over $35,000 from my wedding and after all that $200 is all I get back after so many issues.
I call this terrible management and extremely poor customer service.
None of my friends or family will ever stay at this resort again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the northern tip of Wrightsville Beach, Shell Island Resort is surrounded by a sprawling expanse of sand and unparalleled views of the Atlantic Ocean, Mason’s Inlet, and Figure Eight Island. This family-friendly resort and hotel boasts a front row seat to the beckoning sea and a beach that seems to stretch endlessly, making it feel like it is yours alone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Shell Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shell Island Oceanfront Hotel
- Shell Island Oceanfront Resort
- Wrightsville Beach Shell Island Resort
- Shell Island Resort Nc
- Shell Island North Carolina
- Shell Island Hotel
- Shell Island Nc
- Shell Island Resort North Carolina
- Shell Isl All Oceanfront Suites
- Shell Is Resort Wrightsville Beach