“Extremely Dissatisfied Bride”

Shell Island Resort
Reviewed 21 August 2014

So many things went wrong at my wedding here... the beach is beautiful and the room updates and hotel were nice but my experience with management was and remains to be ridiculous

let me list all the things that went wrong

- As soon as Meredith ( the event coordinator) received a deposit for our wedding, I did not find her anywhere near as helpful as she was prior to receiving it, nor was she very helpful to my parents or in-laws whenever they had questions. One example of this would be when we came down to finalize things in February with our parents, they were promised upgraded rooms and neither one of them received such. And when Meredith was asked about this there was not a reasonable answer or compensation.

- When I arrived 3 days before my wedding there was no reservation for me or my husband.
- We finally got a room after 45 minutes of trying to figure something out.
- My grandmother and father shared a room, and were supposed to have 2 queen beds and they ended up sharing a queen. This was particularly uncomfortable for both of them as they are both handicapped and the pull out couch was difficult for them to fold and unfold each day. We spoke with the front desk and I informed Meredith, and nothing was done. I had spoken with Meredith about this reservation months prior to arriving.
- My husband’s grandmother was supposed to have a handicap accessible room, and did not get one. One was available, however when the issue was brought to the attention of the front desk my in-laws were told they would be charged over $350/night instead of the $139/night reduced rate for the wedding party. Again I informed Meredith about this and all I got was an email saying she would look into it.
- The morning of my wedding 15 minutes before my bridal party was about to start getting ready, including myself, I get a phone call saying we needed to change rooms because they gave me a room that was already reserved by the owners. The best part is they didn’t even know where I was moving to, they just told me to start packing to leave. It took my father in-law and myself calling and going to the front desk for over 45 minutes to get some kind of an answer.
- During the room change, some personal items never made it to the new room, the most important of these items was a $300 set of a hair dryer and hair straightener.
- Finally we are in the new room and getting ready, and my guests are telling me that their rooms were not ready at check in time. My wedding started at 5pm and some guests didn’t get into their room until almost 4:45pm! Thank God it was raining and we held off for 30 minutes, so they had a little bit of time to get themselves together. But people were standing around and using other people rooms until the last minute.
- People who I also made personal room requests for with Meredith, did not receive upgraded rooms as promised, or the right kind ( i.e. getting a king bed when 2 queens were requested)
- My Grandmother/fathers room was supposed to be put on my card, and they were charged on theirs. When I spoke to the front desk they said nothing could be done.
- I was also told my room would be free on my wedding night, and I was charged for it.
- Then 2 days before the wedding we meet with Meredith to do a run through, and she lets us know that she will not be handling the wedding her assistant was. This is after months of her telling me she would be handling things and making sure things ran smoothly. I do not recall the assistants name, she was nice prior to the wedding but I only saw her 1 time once things got started, and this was towards the end of the night.
- On top of everything, my husband’s credit card was also charged for staying at the hotel; charges that were already on my credit card!
- And finally I had to call you multiple times to get any kind of answer. I told you I needed an answer before the 23rd of May because I would be gone for my honey moon and out of cellular service, and surprise when I turned my phone back on after returning to the country 2 days ago, there was a voicemail left on the afternoon of the 24th informing me of the $200 refund.

after months of emailing and waiting I pretty much got an email stating, too bad, sorry you didn't like the services, $200 is all your getting back. This hotel easily made over $35,000 from my wedding and after all that $200 is all I get back after so many issues.

I call this terrible management and extremely poor customer service.
None of my friends or family will ever stay at this resort again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
17  Thank VictoriaW518
Write a ReviewReviews (1,064)

Reviewed 21 August 2014

What a fantastic place this was! It was right on the beach and had a fantastic view from our room. Our room was spacious, clean and nice. It was a bit pricey, but that is to be expected for beachfront in the summer. The beach outside the resort wasn't as busy as further up the beach at the Holiday Inn and near the pier. There was great chair and umbrella service (not free of course). The front check-in guys weren't the most friendly, but the valet parking guys and the bartenders were. So I can't give a blanket statement for the service of the staff. I would certainly return if I were visiting again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jessica C
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was our third stay at Shell Island Resort and we enjoyed our stay. This hotel is older - comfortable, not luxurious - but it doesn't really matter since the real attraction is the location at the end of Lumina - beach on one side and protected wetlands on the other. All rooms are oceanfront, there is covered parking and the onsite restaurant has upgraded their menu since our last stay. I noted several comments about uncomfortable beds...at check-in we noticed that our mattress was "upside down", i.e. the pillow top was on the bottom. We flipped it right side up and all was well.

Room Tip: I would request a room that is not over the restaurant/event area for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Just left the hotel. Had a nice vacation. I liked the location of the hotel. The water was clear and waves perfect. Great beach for long walks. Hotel was nice. I have to say though I think the on line photos made it look more glamorous. Our room was good. Mattresses very comfortable. Each room has a waterfront view, except maybe the 1st floor. view is gorgeous. staff was very friendly especially Gabby who was always smiley and very helpful. We like that we had a mini kitchen for breakfast and such. Nice that they had an indoor and outdoor pool and helpful pool bartender. hot tub super small. Plenty of undercover parking. did not eat at the restaurant but it looked and smelled good. I used the fitness room. It was standard. small, but had a tv and water and towels and some equipment. No complaints. They did say they had volleyballs for the volleyball net out on the beach, but when we went to get a ball, they really only had soccer balls. that doesn't work for volleyball. they need to order new volleyballs if they are telling people they have them. Our water heater was set to scalding, we told the manager. Probably isolated to our unit. not safe for kids. did have some house keeping issues. spoke to the manager. He has nice about it. He tried to rectify the situation. he also apologized and let me know that they were aware they had some recent issues and he was working on fixing them. Overall my husband liked the place. It was a good vacation. Not a big bustling town. Wish there was a putt putt nearby. Not a lot in Wrightsville, but my husband liked that. :) Oh, check out the community pier at night, we saw folks catching small sandsharks. :) OH, almost forgot the SLOWEST wifi I have ever had. I felt like I was back in dial up days. Had to use my hot spot it was soooooooo bad. It was so bad I could not play Pandora at the gym, it kept cutting out. Downloads take like 10-15 minutes, really. They need an updated wifi system badly..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DebbiefromMaryland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Arrived at hotel at 3:30 after a day of traveling and moving daughter in college at UNCW and was told our room wasn't quite ready but housekeeping was in the room and it wouldn't be long. We went and got a bite to eat. He took my number and said he would call as soon as it became available. Returned a hour later and was told our room wasn't ready. I sat in lobby that was burning hot and waited. When I went back up to counter a different person thought it was my first time trying to check in. He told me my room wasn't quite ready but housekeeping was taking care of it. Then I was told it had to be inspected. They ask me to go to bar and wait but by that time I had massive headache. Sat in bar for 15 minutes and went back to desk to tell them to cancel my reservation. A different man said he would give me a free upgrade since my room wasn't clean. People, check out is 11:00 and at 5:30 they are trying to tell me room wasn't clean. Bullcrap. It made no sense because I had prepaid on my AmEx card but people were walking in from street wanting rooms and were given rooms before me. We finally got in our room at 6:00. Room was clean and only complaint about room is the washcloths were stained. I'm sure they were clean but I don't want to see someone else's stain while I shower. Would I stay there again? No, it is overpriced , even with my free upgrade because of my complaining. Holiday Inn Resort is just a block away and I will try that next time.

Room Tip: Room 618 was clean.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Renee N
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

The beach is very wide, clean and the water was clear and warm. The hotel was recently renovated but still a bit tired in areas. Every room has a good view but higher floors are better. Sheets had some stains and overall decor is average. The outdoor bar was good but closed too early.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Brian D
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Last year we really enjoyed our visit but this year there were notable improvements - friendlier management with a terrific, helpful staff & the Shell Island restaurant food was much better. Both times we were on the 9th floor enjoying glorious views of the ocean (from living room area) & the bay (from bedroom) which make Shell Island Resort a special place. The beach is beautiful- lots of shells & a serene, quiet place too, (with good live weekend entertainment by the pool), but a short hop in the car to fine dining. Great for swimming, walking to the tip of the island & enjoying eco tours & kayaking in the bay - glorious! Fun biking too. I only wish the resort had beach wheelchairs but the city of Wrightsville Beach provides FREE handicap beach wheel chairs-just call in advance to reserve if you are traveling with someone who lives the beach, but can't walk much - a joy for my Mom. Don't forget to pat the 'wild' rabbits. We look forward to returning again!

Room Tip: High floors for the awesome views & serenity. If you have a spcial celebration, reserve a place...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!