“Couldn't ask for nicer staff”

Shell Island Resort
Reviewed 2 September 2014

This was our first time at this resort, though we'd been to Wrightsville many times. The building and facilities are a bit dated, and the room was a bit steep, even for a holiday weekend, but that didn't take away from our enjoyment. The beach itself is VERY wide (distance from hotel to water), so there's plenty of space, unlike some of the hotels further south in Wrightsville proper. Breakfast buffet was reasonable and well-appointed. The only downside, and it's significant, is the beds aren't even queen size--they're doubles. It was pretty tight for our family of four (I'm 6'3"), and we didn't sleep all that well. I can see why they can't upsize the beds; the rooms themselves couldn't accommodate them. Unless they're prepared to start knocking down walls and reapportioning rooms, this is the way it's going to stay. Just know that going in, and you should have a very nice stay.

Room Tip: They're all ocean-facing, so you can't go wrong there.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed 27 August 2014

The Shell Island Resort is always a great place for my family and I to spend a couple of relaxing days on the beach. The view from our rooms was fantastic! We had been in touch with Sasha with Guest Relations who coordinated our "all-inclusive" stay and even gave the kids snacks for the ride home! Great family vacation, fabulous memories and we cannot wait to do it again soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My husband and I were visiting Wilmington and decided to go to Shell Island for a tour as we are considering it for our daughter’s wedding. We were greeted by Sasha and she was extremely enthusiastic and helpful in answering all our questions plus gave us lots of great tips. She makes us feel in good hands, relieving us of a lot of pre-planning stress. We even got offered a free pinacolada by Cindy while we were waiting in the restaurant! We are now so excited and looking forward to celebrating our daughter’s special day at beautiful Shell Island!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BeachandSandLover
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed at Shell Island for a weekend during the summer. The location on the beach was very private and the views were stunning. It has a tiki bar by the pool with music every night that we were there. The staff was amazing from check in to service at the pool and in the restaurant. We were served frozen grapes and virgin pina coladas from the staff at the pool which was a nice touch. The breakfast buffet was delicious with lots of variety. The only negative is that the resort is pretty run down. It definitely needs some updating and one of the elevators was not working while we were there, but it was easily overlooked because of the great service, good food and beautiful beach views....

1  Thank Sparkles0322
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Shell Island Resort for 3 days last week and loved it. We had a beautiful studio. Nice amenities. The pool was very nice with a Tiki Bar for food and drink while sun bathing. Easy beach access. The Island End Restaurant was very good as well.

2  Thank dragonfly821
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is a solid 3-star imho, but not sure why it is considered a 3 1/2. It is a motel in that rooms are accessed via outside, rather than a hotel.

Check-in and Check-out was not bad, but it felt like they were having computer problems or something. Seemed to be struggling (yet kudos for still smiling). Public areas were not particularly enticing in that the floor was very wet in the lobby (yes, I know it's a beach, but it was a pretty big puddle that we had to stand in to check-in). Everything had a bit of a grundgy look about it (elevator, hallways, lobby)...UNTIL we got into our room. (and that really is the important part).

Our room on the 4th floor was like a little apartment. King size bed (quite comfortable) in the bedroom. TWO bathrooms...one with a tub/shower and one without. Duo creature comforts. :)
Also had a nice living room with a fully-equipped kitchen. Plus a gorgeous view! We were only doing one night here though, so didn't get to utilize much of anything.

For what we paid (over $200) for one night I guess I expected more of a plush resort feel.

3  Thank Lori R
Reviewed 21 August 2014

So many things went wrong at my wedding here... the beach is beautiful and the room updates and hotel were nice but my experience with management was and remains to be ridiculous

let me list all the things that went wrong

- As soon as Meredith ( the event coordinator) received a deposit for our wedding, I did not find her anywhere near as helpful as she was prior to receiving it, nor was she very helpful to my parents or in-laws whenever they had questions. One example of this would be when we came down to finalize things in February with our parents, they were promised upgraded rooms and neither one of them received such. And when Meredith was asked about this there was not a reasonable answer or compensation.

- When I arrived 3 days before my wedding there was no reservation for me or my husband.
- We finally got a room after 45 minutes of trying to figure something out.
- My grandmother and father shared a room, and were supposed to have 2 queen beds and they ended up sharing a queen. This was particularly uncomfortable for both of them as they are both handicapped and the pull out couch was difficult for them to fold and unfold each day. We spoke with the front desk and I informed Meredith, and nothing was done. I had spoken with Meredith about this reservation months prior to arriving.
- My husband’s grandmother was supposed to have a handicap accessible room, and did not get one. One was available, however when the issue was brought to the attention of the front desk my in-laws were told they would be charged over $350/night instead of the $139/night reduced rate for the wedding party. Again I informed Meredith about this and all I got was an email saying she would look into it.
- The morning of my wedding 15 minutes before my bridal party was about to start getting ready, including myself, I get a phone call saying we needed to change rooms because they gave me a room that was already reserved by the owners. The best part is they didn’t even know where I was moving to, they just told me to start packing to leave. It took my father in-law and myself calling and going to the front desk for over 45 minutes to get some kind of an answer.
- During the room change, some personal items never made it to the new room, the most important of these items was a $300 set of a hair dryer and hair straightener.
- Finally we are in the new room and getting ready, and my guests are telling me that their rooms were not ready at check in time. My wedding started at 5pm and some guests didn’t get into their room until almost 4:45pm! Thank God it was raining and we held off for 30 minutes, so they had a little bit of time to get themselves together. But people were standing around and using other people rooms until the last minute.
- People who I also made personal room requests for with Meredith, did not receive upgraded rooms as promised, or the right kind ( i.e. getting a king bed when 2 queens were requested)
- My Grandmother/fathers room was supposed to be put on my card, and they were charged on theirs. When I spoke to the front desk they said nothing could be done.
- I was also told my room would be free on my wedding night, and I was charged for it.
- Then 2 days before the wedding we meet with Meredith to do a run through, and she lets us know that she will not be handling the wedding her assistant was. This is after months of her telling me she would be handling things and making sure things ran smoothly. I do not recall the assistants name, she was nice prior to the wedding but I only saw her 1 time once things got started, and this was towards the end of the night.
- On top of everything, my husband’s credit card was also charged for staying at the hotel; charges that were already on my credit card!
- And finally I had to call you multiple times to get any kind of answer. I told you I needed an answer before the 23rd of May because I would be gone for my honey moon and out of cellular service, and surprise when I turned my phone back on after returning to the country 2 days ago, there was a voicemail left on the afternoon of the 24th informing me of the $200 refund.

after months of emailing and waiting I pretty much got an email stating, too bad, sorry you didn't like the services, $200 is all your getting back. This hotel easily made over $35,000 from my wedding and after all that $200 is all I get back after so many issues.

I call this terrible management and extremely poor customer service.
None of my friends or family will ever stay at this resort again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!