“Amazing Room - ask for 803 if at all possible” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shell Island Resort

Shell Island Resort
WV
“Amazing Room - ask for 803 if at all possible”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

The resort has clearly been updated very recently and was always sparkling clean. When we arrived our room was not ready but the awesome desk staff upgraded us to room 803. What a pleasant surprise. The room is gorgeous. Excellent view. Very european furnishings. Food from room service and the restaraunt was superb. The beach is large, clean and a short walk from the resort . All in all a great trip.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank marshallgrad94

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2009

I am from the interior of the state and enjoy traveling to Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach. Found Shell Island Resort as a referral from my company and planned a joint business/leisure trip when I saw I could stay at the beach. The hotel is fantastic and has all the amenities for business (free HSIA in the rooms and lobby), great casual restaurant/bistro, superior beach access, and absolutely the best location in the Carolinas. The beach is awesome, the hotel is beautiful, and the service is very frinedly and professional. The rooms are all suites and all have a great view of the ocean with a balcony. Why stay in just a room? I don't understand why anyone would come to Wilmington (especially from a non-beach community) and not stay at Wrightsville Beach.

I highly recommend Shell Island and this hotel. Of course, now I am wondering if I really want more people to be here?:). It was an enjoyable stay in every way!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank businessTvlr
nc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

I made reservations for wedding 2-3 weeks out. When I made the reservation, I was given the rate and was told a confirmation would be sent to me. Since there were supposed to be "special" rates for this wedding, I questioned the operator since the rate she gave me was the same as the website (199.00). Nope she told me, this was the rate.

I got no confirmation and called back today, 3 days before the wedding to check on my reservation. Chris confirmed my reservation and when I asked about the rate, he said since I didn't book a month or more ahead of time, the "special" rate didn't apply to me...what crap.. I have never even been to this resort, but already I have a poor opinion of its customer service. The bride is a close friend and I would never bring this up during this great time, but if you plan on staying at this place, make sure you understand that whatever pricing they give you is probably a limited time offer.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank daytripNc
UNCWALUM, Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, 19 October 2009
I am very sorry about your initial contact with us regarding the "special" rate for the wedding. Typically with group rates, such as Wedding Blocks there is a 30 day cutoff prior to your arrival date that we will not offer the discounted rate to the group or in your case guests staying with us for a wedding. This allows us not to hold the bride/groom responsible for any rooms they may have blocked, and gives us an opportunity to sell them to other people. I am sorry if you were not aware of the cutoff. I do apologize for you not receiving a confirmation number as that is standard practice with all of our reservations. I hope you enjoyed your stay once you arrived and will come back and see us again.
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

Recently stayed here during our quick weekend beach getaway. I was looking for a place where several of us could stay in the same room rather than having to book separate rooms. Since this hotel is designed as all suites, it made the most sense. There was one bedroom, a bath and a half which was nice to have and the living area had a small kitchen area, dining area and the sofa pulled out into a queen size bed - not very comfortable (no sleeper sofa is), but serviceable. Suite also had a private balcony with room for two chairs and a table. The hotel has free wireless service which is a must for me when I travel. The common spaces were nice and appeared to be updated. I hope they move onto the rooms next. Overall the room was mediocre - seemed to be clean, but certainly showed the wear and tear in certain places. The living room chairs were very old and outdated and the bathroom was in need of a makeover. Also, the covers on the electrical outlets in the kitchen were very crooked - noticeably so. I know that sounds like a trivial thing, but I think it helps illustrate my point - just a so-so hotel with inexpensive interiors.

HOWEVER - the location really makes up for anything the hotel lacks. This hotel is tucked at the end of a road that is full of multi-million dollar houses (seriously, I checked out the real estate market; the house next to the hotel was on the market for $3 million; the ones across the street (canal side) were going for $2.5 million plus! The hotel is literally beachside. You walk out the back of the hotel, around the pool (which seemed nice), down the short boardwalk/stairs and you're on the beach! The beach was really, really nice. I would highly recommend this beautiful area.

And although I thought the hotel could be nicer for what we paid ($225/night all in), I would probably return to it the next time I need a hotel setup with a separate bedroom. Otherwise, if my plans didn't call for multiple people and one room would do, I would probably look at the Holiday Inn Resort just down the road (can't give any details on it, just saw it as we drove by).

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ohiostate92
Greensboro, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

4th time we've stayed here. Can see the renovations in the entrance area and main lobby. Elevators have been updated. Pools updated also with new tile on inside pool. Some floors still need refurbishing. All in all this is a great place to stay. Staff is friendly. Rooms are great. Food is good in the restaurant. Walk to the ocean is not for the weak. It's a long way, but both inside and outside pools make up for it. We'd come again for the 5th time!

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank opinionman
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

Just returned from our first break all year and after reading reviews we decided to book 5 days with Shell Island Resort which we extended by a further day as we didnt want to leave ! The resort is fabulous exactly as described with a perfect location. The beach is the best in the area, wide, silky white sand, beach chairs and brollies can be rented at the hotel, the bistro is open all day for snacks and drinks and what more could you want for the perfect beach escape. The hotel staff were all very pleasant and attentive, we arrived with our Orbitz receipt showing we had booked a king room which Orbitz hadnt notified them of however Marlin the receptionist was more than helpful and found a king premier suite. What a surprise to see that when the bill was presented to us, they had charged us less than what we had paid with Orbitz. I should have taken the advice of a fellow Tripadvisor traveller who clearly stated do not book with Orbitz. We ended up paying over $100 more than we should have and that was with a 10% discount that Orbitz gave to us based on us writing an opinion on a previous trip.
Nothing however could spoil this trip, theres not a lot of places within walking distance probably 1 mile to the nearest bar however a short drive over the Wrightsville Causeway and we found Bluewater Grill which was perfectly set on the marina and then a 20 minute drive to Wilmington where we found numerous restaurants on the river front.

Our hotel room was perfect with a huge king bed, one and half bathrooms, tastefully decorated living area, balcony and kitchen and overlooking the beach. Anyone looking for a relaxing getaway would love this place, if you want lively bars, loud music, kids jumping in and out of the pool late at night, back to back bodies on the beach then this place ISNT for you ! Enjoy !

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SkyblueConnecticut
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2009

When I was making the reservation, we decided on the deluxe room versus spending the extra $50 for the premium suite. When we arrived at the hotel, we were pleased with the lobby and common area. We were expecting similiar renovations to the rooms, but the deluxe rooms were not updated at all. The rooms were very out of date and the furnishings were very old and cramped in the living room. We spent $299 for the deluxe room and after spending the first night there, we decided to upgrade to the premium suite for the 2nd night. It is definitely worth the extra $50. Although the room size is the same with the same view, the updated room made such a difference. The counters and cabinets are updated with modern furniture. It is a very tight space in the living room and in the deluxe room, there is an entertainment center which made it seem even more cluttered, but in the premium suite, they got rid of the entertainment center and had the flat screen on the wall, which freed up more space. I was happy with the service and the beach was fantastic. The access to the beach was great and it was nice to be able to rent the umbrellas and chairs for a resonable price ($26 for both or $11 for just the chairs). They also provide food service to the beach from the hotel.

Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!