When we first walked into Shell Island it looked like a typical, low-scale beach resort, but once you walked into the rooms you were able to tell that it wasn't. For a few hundred dollars a night I would expect to have a nicer room, as well as a larger room. It was only myself and my husband in my room and it felt like I was dodging him ever time we both stood up to move.
The worst part was that the rooms weren't clean. There were stains on the sheets that you could they tried to bleach out, and on one of our toilets there was what I can only describe as bloody fecal matter. I spoke to the person at the front desk and they assured me that they would have it cleaned up immediatly, and were very appolegetic. My husband and I went to dinner and came back and it was still there, only moved around a bit.
Eventially we had to switch rooms. The front desk attendents were quick and helpful and had us into a new room very quickly. My husband and I decided to go out that nigh instead of staying at the hotel bar. The next morning we went to find that the breakfast that we had thought was free was twelve dollars for a very low quality meal. However the breakfast servers were very helpful. We ordered room service later, just coffee, and it was incredibly over priced.
The person on the phone who also brought us our food, May, was very polite and explained that there was a room service fee before bringing up our coffee, but I never thought the room service fee would be more than the coffee itslef. Even though she offered to speak to her manager and have the fee removed by that point in time I was so upset that I paid it and spoke to my husband about leaving.
Overall I would not recomend this hotel to anyone. Even though the staff was polite and went out of their way to help us, there is only so much you can handle when it comes to a dirty and over-priced room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the northern tip of Wrightsville Beach, Shell Island Resort is surrounded by a sprawling expanse of sand and unparalleled views of the Atlantic Ocean, Mason’s Inlet, and Figure Eight Island. This family-friendly resort and hotel boasts a front row seat to the beckoning sea and a beach that seems to stretch endlessly, making it feel like it is yours alone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Shell Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shell Island Oceanfront Hotel
- Shell Island Oceanfront Resort
- Wrightsville Beach Shell Island Resort
- Shell Island Resort Nc
- Shell Island North Carolina
- Shell Island Hotel
- Shell Island Nc
- Shell Island Resort North Carolina
- Shell Isl All Oceanfront Suites
- Shell Is Resort Wrightsville Beach