“Only hotel we could get close to Medora”
Review of Trappers Inn

Trappers Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Belfield
Trappers Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Belfield
Gulf Shores, Alabama
“Only hotel we could get close to Medora”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We drove to Medora and the national park as part of our cross country road trip. All the hotels in Medora were booked solid so we backtracked to Belfield and got a room at the Trapper's Inn. Our stay was good. We had a bottom floor room with two queens in the North building that is separated form the main establishment. Check-in was easy, the room was clean. They gave a free drink ticket for the bar and a discount for breakfast but we didn't use them. We enjoyed the stay and Belfield is just a few miles down the interstate from Theodore Roosevelt NP. There are no other restaurants in the area though. There is a big gas station directly across the street. We drove the thirty miles to Dickinson to get dinner one night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Robert C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed here for about a week, the room was decent, nothing to write home about but clean and comfortable. They were nice about letting me not pay for the first night since I was stuck in Fargo, the highway was closed past it until the next day. The only complaint I have is the woman who checked me in was very rude and the next day I ate at the restaurant and my waitress was rude as well, seems like they rather be nice to the locals... All in all it was nice and a good place to stay

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank missmeankitty
Anacortes, Washington
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Wanted to stay in watford nothing available cept the $179 newer hotel. No way. Checked reviews for this place. Majority says its ok even though a couple of bad reviews recently, decided it was worth the risk. No risk involved! 7pm reservation was accepted cheerfully by a young lady on the phone. I warned may be very late arrival 1030 or later...no problem! Arrived and the young man at the counter was friendly and professional. No bad attitudes here. The room was spacious even with two queens and the linens both bed and bath were sparkling white and crispy clean. Bed was comfy, room was warm, updated well laid tile bath, flat screen tv. Will definitely seek them out if i visit the area again!

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank posibility409
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Horrible staff horrible location. The rooms and cleanliness is great how ever the food in the restraunt horrible. The locals in the bar looking for a fight complete dicks. Drive the extra miles to Dickinson or medora if you plan on doing anything more then sleeping

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Joesphdo

Travellers are raving about these Belfield hotels

South Dakota
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I spent my first night at a franchise hotel in Dickinson..dirty poor wi fi and noisy. S I moved to Belfield the next day and though the single room is a little smaller than average, it was very clean and comfortable. The staff was very polite and helpful. It was more like being home. I would definitely altar my route to stay here again. Price was more than fair. Absolutely no negatives.
Phyllis H. South Dakota

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PhyllisHans
Athol, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I'm really glad we decided to spend the night here while traveling home from Alberta, Can. They saved our vacation -- that's the simple truth of it.

We had been preparing to leave after spending the night, and decided to add some windshield wash in the car, but then the hood wouldn't latch. We worked on it for several minutes, but neither of us could fix it or even figure out what was wrong. We were sure, though, that it was probably something pretty simple.

AAA wouldn't help us, saying it wasn't their type of problem. The local garages didn't have time to help us; one was even really nasty and shouted about 'not being AAA' before hanging up. Mom was in tears when I headed over to the motel office, explained the problem, and the clerk said they'd send one of their maintenance staff right over. She agreed that it's unsafe to drive with a loose hood latch on ND highways with the kind of high winds they typically had, and was appalled that no one would aid a traveller.

By the time I got back to our room and explained to Mom what was happening and what I had done, Trent -- from maintenance -- was pulling up next to our car. Mom went to speak to him, and really I'm not sure what he did. (He might have danced naked around the car and chanted in Greek to the automotive gods, for all I know.) In any event, all that was needed was some lube and a screwdriver; all the loose grit we'd picked up was preventing the hood from closing.

It took maybe 10 minutes. Yay, Trent!

There's more to a motel than food and housekeeping -- yes, those are very important -- but more important I think is integrity. Dependability. In short, people who come through for you like family would. Because isn't that what you want and need while you're on the road?

Frankly, the room was very nice, very clean -- not new, but better than I was expecting for western ND -- and it was clear that the truckers stayed here, which is always a good sign. The food was good; the chicken tortilla soup was fantastic.

In any event, I know where we'll be staying when we come to this part of ND again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Patricia H
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We only spent one night here and it was not bad. However, upon check in...the desk clerk was extremely rude. She treated us like dirt and acted as though we were an unwelcome interuption in her routine. She even proceeded to tell us how we could sleep in the room! If you can get past the unwelcome greeting, the room is not bad. It was fairly clean (they could focus more on the toilet and floor) and the beds were comfortable. You do get a coupon for a buy one get one free drink in the bar and 5.00 off in the restaurant. There is a pool there but it was not open so if you want to swim, I would check on that first. The other thing that kind of threw us off was all the warning signs. If you get dirt in the room, you have to pay to clean the carpets. If you sneak a pet, there is a non-negotiable 250.00 fee and there is a 250.00 fee if your room smells like smoke. We do not smoke so I am glad they strickly enforce that and if I had my pet, I would find a hotel that welcomed my pet as opposed to "sneaking" it in but the carpet cleaning fee really caught us off guard....isn't that what they have maids for?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belfield
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dickinson
Comfort Inn
#6 of 19 in Dickinson
La Quinta Inn & Suites Dickinson
Astoria Hotel & Event Center

Been to Trappers Inn? Share your experiences!