“Change in ownership - going through a rough patch”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of East 40 Food and Drink - CLOSED

East 40 Food and Drink
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Francisco, California
“Change in ownership - going through a rough patch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

My boyfriend had been here years ago, and remembered it was good. We had a different experience in March. We were greeted and seated (by a nice host), and then it went downhill fast from there.

The room we were seated in had two other occupied tables/booths in it. The family that was sitting 3 booths behind us was complaining to the 'manager' about the lousy food and service with an expensive bill. Said he had been a customer since is first prom (and now in his 50's), and had never had such a bad experience. All the 'manager' could do was apologize because of the new owners...

Our experience didn't pan out much different. Our server was horrible. She was rude, disappeared for long periods of time...and I mean LONG periods of time. Our food was delivered cold, and when we complained about it she acted annoyed and stomped off.

At the end of the meal, I ordered coffee....which also came COLD!!!!! Give it some time before you go....they might be going through a rough patch.

• Visited March 2014

Bismarck, North Dakota
“Way to overpriced- and not a lot of food!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

For 2 of us to eat- we each had a steak (his was $34 and mine was $35) and u only get 1 side with that- with an appetizer and a small tossed salad (which the lettuce was wilted) our bill came to $110 and change! I will not go here again! There are no prices on the menu, so when you get the bill I guaranteed you will be shocked!!!! Plus my husband wanted to order a dessert but they ran out on Friday and still didn't have any!! :(

• Visited April 2014
Seattle, Washington
“prices were abit high, but the service and quality of food were really quite good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Food was excellent, there menu was good size. The prices were abit high though. The service was excellent

Visited March 2014
Bismarck
“Maybe lunch, but not dinner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

The soup and bread were good. Our guests were too polite to comment. My chicken was a couple of small pieces of shoe leather. I ate parts of the rest and informed the server why so much was left. "Yes," she said. "Someone else said the same thing. I'll tell the chef." End of "recovery" strategy. Server was very pleasant and attentive, but not equipped to deal effectively with customers regarding kitchen screw-ups (soup served so late that meal came almost immediately afterward). My husband's prime rib was mediocre. I might have felt better about it if four meals and three glasses of wine (no appetizers, no dessert) had not come close to $200 with tip.

• Visited March 2014
Bismarck, North Dakota
“Dinner for my wife's birthday”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I made reservations two weeks in advance and specifically asked for stuffed mushrooms as appetizer and chocolate cake for desert. I called again a week later to confirm that everything was on track and was told there were no problems. The appetizer was a chopped mushroom with other things in it with flat bread points and lettuce. The desert was a frozen cake (still frozen). I ordered pepper steak and pasta. The steak was raw and the pasta cold. My wife ordered prime rib (she loves prime rib) and it was not acceptable.

The bartender did know how to make a whiskey-sour but that was the best they could do.

• Visited February 2014