“Great atmosphere and service.”
Review of Pirogue Grille

Pirogue Grille
Ranked #1 of 182 Restaurants in Bismarck
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The food wasn't had, however I did expect more quality for the price range. The atmosphere was awesome as well as the service.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've been here several times for business and is a great, higher end restaurant. This is usually our go-to place to bring customers when they come into town. The service is always excellent and is one of the few places that truly care if you have a good meal. I would definitely recommend it if you're up for spending a little extra cash.

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

As soon as you enter, it's evident that Pirogue Grill is going to offer a big-city but down to earth dining experience. From the tasteful original art on the walls to the tasteful foods on the table, this place doesn't disappoint. I started with the soup of the day - vegetable farro w a little hot "kick" from the special pepper. The breads were fresh and modest in size so I could save room for the next dishes. The spinach salad was fresh and flavorful as we're the grilled salmon and sautéed vegetables. And the pecan-crusted chocolate was so rich and tasty. Quite a find worthy of a capital city!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This place was referred to us from a friend.

The last time we were in Bismarck, we had the WORST experience with not only bad food, but awful service in all the places we tried.

The Pirogue Grille was a refreshing difference. The place was packed (Friday night), and our server was excellent. I gave this place 3 stars because it truly is better than most places in Bismarck. If I were somewhere else, it would probably only rank a 2 or 2.5.

The first thing I noticed was the "bread basket". It consisted of regular wheat bread slices (like wonder bread style) cut in half, and a few what appeared to be sour dough slices? We had a good giggle just because we couldn't believe a restaurant (white table cloth) would served regular sandwich bread...cut in half in their bread basket!

The second thing that took them down a notch, was the house/dinner salad. It was essentially a plate of mixed lettuce with 4 small tomatoes cut in half and laying on the side. HOW hard is it to actually add some red onion, cucumber, avocado or ?? That would have made a huge difference for us.

We both ordered the Walleye dinner which was served with an awful red pepper sauce. Would be so much better served over risotto or something similar.

Anyway, if in a bind, this place is a good option. I think in time, once they receive more feedback...this could be a great place!

1  Thank Loving U
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The menu is delicious - I've never had a bad meal here - and the service is excellent. The food is absolutely worth the price, but I don't think it's that expensive anyway. The specials change frequently and are created to highlight locally sourced proteins and farmer's markets. This is a fairly small (seats 70) restaurant so it has a lovely atmosphere. The Chef's special (seasonal) soups are SO tasty, I've been known to use bread to soak up every last drop. Seafood is prepared and cooked separately from other food, so they are able to accommodate those with allergies. Whether it's date night, or a celebration with friends, you will not be disappointed.