“A nice typical small town motel”
Review of Chieftain Motel

Chieftain Motel
Chieftain Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Carrington
Reviewed 26 June 2013

While this facility may lack many of refinements of a big city establishment, it provides rooms that are clean, quiet (inspite of the fact that it sits on a major roadway, there are no rooms directly facing the road) and spacious. However, a fridge and microwave need to be requested as they do not initially come with the room. Staff are helpful and accomodating (breakfast was available for our bird-watching group at 0400) and the food in the restaurant was quite good. There are two floors and no elevator which means hauling luggage up the stairs and down a single corridor if you have a room on the second floor. A small wine store and a grocery store are only a few steps away. Acoustics in the conference room were also adequate .
Personally, I appreciated their effort at incorporating some of the history of the area into their decore.
Finally, t.v. reception is limited. If you are from Canada and visit in May or June, don't plan on watching the Stanley Cup playoffs.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank osterous

Reviewed 15 March 2013

It is outdated, but my room was clean. They offered small electric heater/fans in the room along with the main heat. I was very comfortable all night. Slept good. We ate at the restaurant attached to it and it was also good. The service was good. Overall I would stay here again. It was 60$ a night.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Elephantabb
Reviewed 10 October 2012

This was an older-style hotel that we found comfortable and delightful. It was certainly dated, but was well-maintained and clean. Our room was in the back of the property, and we parked on a tree-lined side street, right outside the back exit of the hotel.....across from the local high school.
We ate at the adjoining bar-and-grill, and had a great dinner in a hometown atmosphere.
There was no continental breakfast, but there was a full-service restaurant attached to the hotel, and we had a nice hot breakfast which suited my husband just fine.
Even though the hotel was worn, it was very clean, and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Stopped here for dinner (not a lot of options in the area). It is exactly what you'd expect for a place with a 20 foot "Indian" graced by totem poles and Vegas style road-sign. Dinner was better than I expected, which is to say decent. I had the steak linguine and a glass of white wine. It seems popular with the locals. The inside is just as garish as the outside, with drum-styled seats and a canoe hanging from the roof, as well as some eye-burning artwork on the walls. Waitstaff was friendly, though informal (I poured my own water), and if you're not too full of yourself, you might get a kick out of this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank DaveSense
Reviewed 25 June 2012

When I made my reservations I knew of only two motels in Carrington, plus a bed and breakfast. (The Blue Swan Bed and Breakfast is good, but I thought I might need two beds, so the B&B wasn't an option this time.) I like the convenience of an on-site restaurant that the Chieftain provides. The Carrington Suites (originally a Super 8) across the street from the Chieftain serves a continental breakfast, which the Chieftain does not. But since I was staying for a couple of days, I thought the restaurant might be convenient. My room was exceptionally clean - particularly when you consider this is not a new motel - and my bed was very comfortable. The downside, my room was upstairs and I had to carry my luggage up the stairs. That would be the same across the street. If I had know about the new motel in town, I might have given it a try. But, I was certainly satisfied with my stay at the Chieftain and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank kcinnorcal
Reviewed 19 May 2012

This is a nice property that reeks 1970 but has been well maintained. It is a motel type layout with a decent restaurant and conference facility.

The rooms are clean and basic. Some of the rooms have both indoor and outdoor exits. The wi-fi is good and reliable. Parking is immediately outside of your door.

The staff is very pleasant and attentive.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank projectorfixer
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Rural North Dakota "theme" hotel. I hosted a business meeting here. The prices are excellent, and the food is undoubtedly popular in rural ND - lots of burgers and beer. Some of the group had difficulty with heat in their room, including some who were given portable heaters as a main heat source. Still, it did the job, came in under budget and met our needs. The staff is attentive and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask about the climate control.