“Kids night out”

Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
Jamestown, ND
“Kids night out”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed here for one night as a birthday treat so the kids could swim. We booked a poolside room with 2 queen beds. Getting into the hotel is a bit tricky due to the limited access for turns if going east on 13th Avenue, plan ahead for your turn or turn at the light and take the turn into the property on the east side.
The room was generally clean, though a bit small. The table and chair set was hardly usable as it was crammed into the space between one of the beds and a wall with little room for access. The only other thing worth mentioning was the touchy settings in the shower, the adjustment for hot/warm/cold was so touchy that it was either lukewarm or scalding, I would think a hotel would limit the temperature in the shower so as not to cause scalding.
The pool area is large and the pirate ship is a bit of an attraction, but the pool area in general tends to benefit smaller children the most. The slides are relatively small and there is no portion of the pool deeper than 4 ft. The hot tub had a chemical problem that required immediate attention right after checking in, the tub was drained and the problem rectified, but even afterwards the chlorine levels were quite high, enough to change the color of some of the bathing suits and burn your eyes sitting in the tub. Given the traffic or people getting in and out, it's probably a necessity I guess. The other activities for kids include an area with ping pong tables and air hockey, and some arcade games, the poolside access makes is easy for kids to come and go and enjoy the facilities. There is also a poolside bar for drinks and snacks.
The service in the hotel is pretty good, there is a Dominos pizza inside the hotel which makes having a pizza party quick and easy. The breakfast buffet in the restaurant was good with fresh and tasty choices and kids eat free.
Overall, a decent overnight stay, but not spectacular.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
ShawnH22, Manager at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
We are happy that you took the time to review our hotel. Our number one goal is always that a guest is satisfied with their stay and will consider us for their next stay in Fargo. By your giving us honest feedback, we can only get better. We hope to see you again soon. Sincerely, Shawn ~ Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Minnesota
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Is this the best hotel in the world? No, but it's clean, the beds AND pillows are extremely comfortable, and I enjoyed it very much. I would have given it a 4 out of 5 starts for it's class of hotels until the incident that has me writing this review.

It was the coldest night Fargo had seen in a decade with wind chills in the -40's, on its way to -50's and our room heater started making horrendous noises. We all had to get to sleep to be rested for a morning hockey game, and there was no way we could sleep through the awful moaning, whining and rattling of the heater. Plus, we all thought it was probably about to break.

Calling Maintenance, we prepared ourselves for the worst - waiting for hours then having maintenance come and try to fix the heater at midnight with all of the lights on and a child (the hockey player) in the room; however, that was NOT the case.

FIVE MINUTES after we placed the call, a kind gentleman came into the room with grace and respect. He spent five minutes fiddling with the heater, excused himself saying that he'd be right back, and lo and behold…he came right back with a brand new heater! He took a total of 10 minutes (maybe less) to remove the old heater, replace it with the new one, set the thermostat, and take the broken equipment away.

FIVE STARS for knowing how important sleep is to hotel guests and for being incredibly respectful. We were abundantly impressed!

Room Tip: Don't get a room near an exit door. That's where people come in while they're still tal...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Minnesota5
Desirae Q, Front Desk Supervisor at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review and I am happy we were able to fix the heater issue and keep you warm in our subzero temperatures! I will pass your compliments to our maintenance staff and ensure they keep up the good work. We look forward to a future stay with you!
Michigan
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here two nights in October for work. This is a sprawling older property that is in general good condition. The hallways had an unpleasant odor, and the room doors are a little beaten up. Furnishings are in good condition and the bed was comfortable. The property is doing some renovations that may correct some of the more notable weaknesses. The rate I paid was more than fair, which may not always be the case. Property is right across the street from the West Acres Mall, near two movie theaters, and lots of restaurants.

Room Tip: Sprawling property -- make sure you park near the door they tell you to.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear jra3,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate the kind remarks on our comfortable beds and hotel location. I am sorry that not everything measured up to your expectations particularly with the smell of the room and condition of the doors. As a frequent traveler, your experience and comments are very important and will be shared with our team. Thank you again for bringing the details of your stay to our attention. We hope to see you again soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Madison Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel based on the advertised new pool. We were so excited for our kids. Unfortunately the water temp was so cold they got out every five minutes, teeth chattering to run to the hot tub. I heard numerous other guest exclaim "it is so cold"! It is a cute area but we could not really enjoy it since the kids were freezing. It is single digits outside, would be nice to enjoy a warm pool inside. Very disappointed. Hallways look old, have a dirty feel. Room is ok but nothing special and not worth the price. We'll find a different hotel next time for sure!

Stayed November 2013
ShawnH22, Manager at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
I certainly understand your dissatisfaction with the temperature of the pool and I want to apologize that it wasn't as you or your child would have liked. We did find an error in some equipment that heated the pool and have since replaced/fixed that piece. Hopefully you will be willing to give us another chance on your next return to Fargo. We are currently working on remodeling our rooms in several phases on a floor by floor basis. We expect to be completed by next fall. I'd like to hear more about your experience, so if you would like to call me you can reach me at 701-277-7322. Sincerely, Shawn Hagen ~ Assistant General Manager
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Spent an evening here as part of a conference. Room was typical and standard. This hotel has been around for awhile but they do a pretty good job of keeping things up. Check-in and check-out were easy. Bill was correct. Staff were friendly and had answers to my questions. I know I will be back. Quiet night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
ShawnH22, Manager at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for giving us a review of your stay. We do appreciate the feedback and look forward to your return visit. Have a great Thanksgiving. Sincerely, Shawn Hagen ~ Assistant General Manager
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Hosted a two day seminar here and they were great to work with. My room was standard no frills. Everyone from the porter to the front desk to my sales contact was a pleasure to do business with. I had the event catered by the property and the food was excellent , even my clients made mention on their feedback cards on how great the meals were . Ill book here again when in the area for a meeting. Have any size room to fit your needs . And $1 black jack tables in the lounge.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ShawnH22, Manager at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
We appreciate your choosing our hotel to hold your function as well as your choice of stay. Your kind comments are great to hear. We hope to be able to take care of you again real soon. Sincerely, Shawn Hagen ~ Assistant General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Well, I prepaid for a king room pool view. Shame on me, I didn't read the reviews.

Arrived at 3, after driving 2 hours, my room wasn't ready
15 minutes later (not so bad, but still) I went to my poolview room
rooms was big, nice, bed looked comfy, looked recently redone
SCREAMING KIDS
Called down to ask what time the pool is open till 11 pm. This is Tuesday night mind you.
I asked for a new room,
OF COURSE, no king rooms available.

I am now in a stinky, run down disgusting room. In fact I want to barf from the smell of air freshener used to cover up 20 years of smoking,

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else unless you have screaming kids that want to run around at the pool
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Desirae Q, Front Desk Supervisor at Holiday Inn Fargo, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
We thank you for your review of our hotel and apologize that our rooms did not meet your standards. We, too, have recognized this, and have started the remodeling process of all our rooms just this week, and would hope you will revist after our remodel.
I do recall visiting with you about your concerns during your check in and since you are still dissatisfied, I would like to revisit with you. Please feel free to call me at the hotel 701-282-2700 or email me at dquesada@fargohi.com
Thank you for your review!

Travellers are raving about these Fargo hotels