“Never...Never...Again....Will I stay here...”

Former Vista Inn & Suites
Ranked #46 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Never...Never...Again....Will I stay here...”
Reviewed 30 July 2009

On July 25th some friends got married at this hotel. We stayed there because we were told that they had the best rate. When I found out what the rate was I asked about our AAA discount and the receptionist got snotty and told me that "since were with the wedding party, the rate they reserved the hotel at is the rate we were going to pay." Fine, what ever, it was 10 dollars difference. So we were getting our room set up and they asked for a credit card, which the front desk clerk swiped 3 times. I thought maybe the card wasn't working and just wrote it off. She gave us our room key, which was one of the oddest keys I had ever seen. She did say that the breakfast buffet was included in the price for both of us, so that did seem like a plus.

We were on the lower level and were put in a wheelchair accessable room. I was so worn out from driving that I didn't care. The room looked like it was "straightened up" and not 'cleaned". The bedspread smelled horrible (we took it off and moved it to a chair). The shower had hair in the drain and the toilet was used (someone didn't flush). Also with the placement of the room we were next to the stairs, so for the 5 minutes we were in the room everything shook while people went up and down said stairs. I went back to the front desk to request a room change and we were told that they were booked solid and couldn't accomodate us. I found that hard to believe.

We settled into our room and opted to go sit in the hot tub (was out of service, but were not told by the front desk). Instead we grabbed a drink in the bar (about the only thing decent about this hotel are the prices/specials at the bar). Although the casino was not up and running in the bar area, which we were told it would be when we first made the reservation.

The wedding went wonderfully and as the evening was closing we saw two security officers walking the halls. One looked to be fairly young, the other was not. The younger one was not armed while the older one had a pistol on his hip. That fightened us. The fact that this hotel in Fargo North Dakota would ask it's security force to carry a weapon was quite alarming.

The next day we went to the buffet and were taken aback when an angry looking woman came up and put a bill on our table for our meal. When asked why we were being charged, she said to talk to the front desk. We promptly went up and decided we had had enough fo this place and found out our card was declined. We knew there was plenty of money on it so we checked our online statement. We found out that the hotel put through 3 pre-authorizations to our check card. None of which was even close to what the room was sopposed to be. We were qouted 79 and the charges were for 89, 99, 93. Now, we have a 500 dollar spending limit on our debit card. Due to the 100 dollar tux rental and a few smaller charges we were now being declined. When we attempted to explain this to the front desk the girl just said "Well, can you call someone to pay your bill?" we were completely taken aback. We asked why they dinged us 3 times for 3 different ammounts the woman just said "Well, sometimes this happens. We just do a pre-auth for any amount to make sure the card is good and that there are funds in there to cover the room." Sounds plausable, buy WHY would you do 3 of them? She had no answer and started to attend to other customers.

In the end my mother in law had to use her card to cover our room. We didn't even get so much as an apology from the receptionist for their massive blunder.

I will NEVER stay there again. It was one line of bullcrap after another by anyone who worked there.

• Stayed July 2009
3 Thank putterb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Hays
Reviewed 24 July 2009

Reservations at this hotel was a bad experience. First of all, the group rate was higher than Expedia, AAA, or AARP. When I asked about it I was told that the complimentary breakfast was the reason for the higher rate. Expedia says free hot breakfast buffet included with room. I asked about wireless and the clerk did not know. I left a call back number to no avail. Have a convention booked at this hotel but was unable to get the telephone number until 4 tries. I have not stayed at the hotel--Do I want to? Reservation clerk was short and not very informative. No toll free number to call for reservations.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Fargo hotels

Minnesota
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I had to verify my reservations 3 times, thank goodness I had confirmation numbers otherwise I wouldn't have had a room. The room was not clean, the toilet had been used (and not by us). The fridge and microwave were dirty. The fan on the hater was so loud that I asked if maintenance could look at it, he cam down and looked at it and said he had no idea what the deal was. I asked to be moved and the girl at the front desk rolled her eyes and grudgingly moved us. I noticed about an hour later some other poor schmuck was dragging his stuff into that room. The rooms were cold or hot there was no in between. The pool is tiny. THis is an old Motel that was converted into a hotel. Some of our group had the outside rooms, they were cold and dirty. The night staff was much more friendly. The breakfast was very good. The bar was nice and had a DJ.

• Stayed February 2009