“Lovely room, reception staff could be friendlier”

Hilton Garden Inn Fargo
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
Winnipeg, Canada
“Lovely room, reception staff could be friendlier”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have stayed here a number of times and though it is expensive, you get what you pay for. At check-in, the staff member obviously didn't like the fact I'd booked through a third party. He said that tripadvisor takes commission and it is therefore more expensive. Not sure I believe him but he obviously didn't like the fact it had been booked elsewhere! He refused to give us a breakfast voucher which we have always had free before. The pool did not open at 6am as advertised and we had to find a cleaner to open the door for us. The water was lovely and warm and the hot-tub, very hot!
On arriving home I checked my Visa account and it showed 3 pending debits from the Hilton, 2 for the evening meal and 1 for $5.
I rang the Hilton and was told it was their procedure to do this and I should only be charged for the meal once and the other debits wouldn't go through - very strange!
We love this hotel, it was Easter weekend and all the other hotel car parks in Fargo were full but there was hardly anyone at this one. Perhaps the price puts people off, especially weekend shoppers from Canada. It has a children's area with Wii games, free snacks and drinks at weekends which is fantastic if you are travelling with a young family. The rooms are wonderful with comfortable beds, thermostatic heating, HBO tv, Keurig coffee maker, fridge and microwave.
We will definitely be returning when we can afford it. The only down-side was during our evening meal when a very drunk, loud Irishman started swearing whilst talking to another couple. Obviously he'd had too much to drink but disappeared when I asked him to tone his language down for the sake of our 10 year-old daughter.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Josh E, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Fargo, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear debi204,

Thank you for the review! I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, even considering a few issues that you experienced. I would like to address some of those issues, and if you'd like to talk any further with me, please contact me at 701-499-6019 or by email at erickson@raymondteam.com.

First, I wanted to address your check in experienced. I am very sorry to hear that you felt misled at check in about booking through a third-party. Third-party websites (like Expedia, Hotels.com, etc.) can be great tools for guests looking for a hotel in a certain vicinity. Generally, they don't offer any discounted rate off of what we offer online or over the phone. The advantage with those websites is occasionally they can package together flights/cars/hotels, etc., and they also allow you to search an entire city for any brand hotel.

The issues we experience is that those third-party websites can't match the customer service we can offer in person. For example, they usually have non-refundable or non-cancellable reservations. Also, if something goes wrong, it is very difficult to get a refund on the stay, since the third-party website collects the money, then disperses it to us minus their commission. The Guest Service Representative who checked you in, I believe, was Tony. If you read through the rest of our TripAdvisor reviews, you can see the type of person Tony is to many of our guests. I suspect that he was doing his best to help you get better service in the end.

While I am glad you were able to find a helpful team member to allow you entrance to the pool at 6 am, I will need to find out why the pool wasn't open already by that time. I apologize that it wasn't ready for you, but I am glad to hear it was nice and warm - and hopefully, relaxing!

Regarding your debit card, we did take it for incidentals at checkin, because we have a restaurant on site. We authorize it for $5 to ensure that the card isn't completely invalid, so that we can make sure we get payment if anything is charged to the guest room. On weekends, many debit cards will show the authorization for a couple of days, depending on the bank it was issued by. Many times a simple call to the bank can clear it up quickly. They can contact us if they need verification that the authorization isn't needed. I do apologize if the authorization caused any issues for you during your travels - I assure you, that was not our intention!

I am glad that we were able to serve you over the Easter weekend, and that you felt comfortable in our guest rooms and that our amenities were helpful to you and your family. If you would like to discuss anything else regarding your stay, I would be more than happy to do so at your convenience.

Thanks again for staying with us, and we hope to see you again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Sioux Falls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel. Everything was perfect from the cleanliness of our room, the comfort of the bed, and the friendliness of the staff. The staff goes out of their way to make guests feel welcome. Breakfast also, including the service was perfect. Don't be afraid to ask here. They will go out of their way to accomodate your request.

Room Tip: Time and again they have gone above and beyond our expectations. Don't be afraid to ask!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jimm8117,

Thank you for the great recommendation of our hotel! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. We are fortunate to work with some of the best people in the world. Each one works incredibly hard to provide clean & comfortable accommodations and friendly, helpful service. We are all dedicated to providing 100% satisfaction for each and every guest.

Thanks for staying with us - we hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I want to say how wonderful our stay has been. The staff have gone above and beyond to accommodate us. We had family from VT and the staff made sure we were happy and checked on is throughout evening. Also, they were fine with outside family coming in and visiting. I have never had such a wonderful professional and caring experience before at a hotel. This is the place to stay in Fargo!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear jmidthun,

Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time at our property.

Thank you for taking a moment to recognize Tony and Maria too. They are certainly wonderful people to work with, and I am not surprised at all to hear that they made your stay a great one.

We hope to have the chance to serve you again in the future. Happy Spring!
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I'll chime in also. We were here last weekend for regional gymnastics meet at the FargoDome, using Hilton Points. I'll add pictures and confirm what many others are saying about his location---nice property and even better staff. It's 5 years old and still looks much newer than that. We had several services requests (e.g. more foam pillows, towels, reservation change, etc.) and they were all handled very promptly. Girls loved the pool (smaller, but large enough for them). Didn't have a chance to use the business room or workout room like I usually do, but they both looked good.

Always like the hot, made to order breakfast. This location also had a breakfast special each day (e.g. berry french toast, etc.). All the breakfast items were fresh and well presented.

There was also a separate Kids Area at this HGI location----very interesting and popular.

This is located near the Mall and had many other Hotels and restaurants nearby. There is also a very large Scheel's sporting goods store a couple blocks away with an indoor Ferris Wheel you can ride. There are also several other interactive games for the kids (e.g. bowling, shooting gallery, soccer, fishing). Nice short kids outing.

Our compliments to Libby at the front desk for being so friendly, helpful, and efficient!

Mr/Ms. Manager---this location is being run very well! Keep up the good work and keep your staff happy!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank vgroten
Josh E, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Fargo, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear vgroten,
Thanks for taking the time to post a review of our hotel, and for explaining many of the amenities we have to offer, in addition to our friendly and helpful staff.

We are very fortunate to have Libby on our Guest Service Team, as she gracefully and efficiently handles guest requests with incredible passion for he guest experience. Our guests are in great hands when she is working!

We hope the gymnastics weekend went well for you and your family, and hopefully we will have the chance to serve you all again in the future!
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

My business typically puts me up at another property in town but due to some unexpected weather and hotels filling up, a group of us stayed at the HGI... What a warm and friendly atmosphere with an awesome staff! One staff member in particular is the Guest Service Lead, Tony.. He is always very cheery and welcoming, after one stay, he remembered me and my group.. He is definitely in the right career! Since we've come back to Fargo, the Hilton Garden Inn is the hotel of choice. Thank you for another great stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Abby L,

I am glad that you had the chance to stay at our hotel and experience the warmth and friendliness of our team. We work very hard to keep up a clean and inviting hotel, and our entire team is dedicated to ensuring 100% satisfaction for all of our guests. Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We look forward to your next visit!
Cavalier, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I were traveling home from Minneapolis and got caught in the onset of a blizzard that closed the interstate. We had never stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn but because it is newer and close to the interstate, we stopped and were able to get a room. The clerk doing the check in was very helpful with my husband, discounting the price and giving us extra Hilton points after we had asked if we could use Hilton points for our stay since we had plenty. This had to be booked ahead of time, so this was how he chose to help out which we appreciated.

Because of the weather, we were grateful to be able to stay in and eat in the hotel restaurant. It was obvious that there were other stranded travelers because of how busy the restaurant was. It did not appear that there was an abundance of wait staff but everyone working was hustling fast to give good service. We had drinks, entrees, and then ordered a dessert. The drinks and entrée came promptly and were very good. When our dessert was delayed, the waitress took some off the price for our extra time waiting, without being asked. We could see into the kitchen and view the 2 chefs working and know it appeared to be clean. Because we enjoyed supper, and again did not want to leave the hotel, we also had breakfast there the following morning and it was good too.

The lobby is warm and welcoming with the ability for flavored water in dispensers or hot water for tea or cocoa, and coffee. The fireplace and seating was very comfortable.

We did not use or even view the fitness center or pool area. We were too tired from driving and appreciated having a well arranged room - seating area with TV and desk as you enter from the hall, then the bathroom in the middle, and the bed and sleeping area furthest from the door with another TV. We did rest well.

I did use the business center as I needed to do some month end for my business, and had not brought my laptop. There are 2 computers, each with a printer.

The only thing we wondered about is the promotion of the sleep number system for the beds at a placard when we checked in, but our bed was not one that had this feature. Also, because we never left the hotel and had checked in about 3:30pm, we had a good parking spot. The parking lot does not appear very large for the size of the hotel if you arrived late or were out for the evening. Maybe there was parking in a location we were unaware of.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Josh E, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Fargo, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Ritav1953,

I am glad our team was able to accommodate you during the recent blizzard we experienced here in Fargo. Thanks for stopping in!

We do pride ourselves in the service, cleanliness, and amenities we offer each of our guests. Thank you for describing many of the amenities you used in great detail. I am glad to hear that our team took good care of you throughout your stay, including the issue you experienced with waiting on your dessert.

As far as the Garden Sleep System beds, I do know that all 110 of our guest rooms currently have the feature. I will have to check the room you stayed in to ensure it is easily accessible for all guests to use. I am sorry it was difficult to find and use. Our team is always available to assist with any issues or questions any guest may have. We are fortunate to have maintenance team members on duty from 7 am to 11 pm every single day. They're always ready to help, no matter the issue!

Thanks again for the great review, I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we sincerely hope we'll have the chance to serve you again in the future - blizzard or not!
Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

For a last minute get-away for couples, this is a great place to stay and experience Fargo ND amenities in a short time. Centrally located and convenient to several Fargo landmarks. If you can, avoid the Tues and Wed nights as there are many, many business people using the HGI properties for meetings and marketing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear 847dennisa,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying at our hotel. Thank you for mentioning our location - we are very close to both the interstates (I-29 and I-94), the West Acres Shopping mall, many restaurants, and very soon, we will be just a block away from the new Prairie Stone Retail Center.

We do fill up quickly on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, especially due to having an attached convention center, so if you need a room on one of those days, make sure to book it at least a few weeks in advance.

Thanks again for the review. We hope to have the chance to serve you again soon!