“Good option for a couple of nights”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fargo
Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Good option for a couple of nights”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband booked our stay at the Country in and Suites because of a good rate we were getting. This was our last stop on a road trip to do some shopping before heading home. Like many Canadians who live just over the border we often come to Fargo to shop or for a quick escape, so we have stayed at many places over the recent years. This was our first stay at this hotel.

For those who have never been to Fargo there are many hotels in the general area; close to West Acres Mall and the big box stores. This hotel has had excellent reviews so I did go in with high expectations.

Our room was spacious and did have a fridge and microwave. It presented as clean on arrival and it was clear that updates had been made over the years. The room had elements of the 90's, 2000's and more recent updates to bedding etc. but it was clear that a large scale renovation had never occured at any single time. The room was comfortable and did meet oyr needs.

This is not a structure that was built to minmize sound. We could clearly hear what was happening in the rooms above, below and beside us. Add to this the fact that this hotel is on a major street and is situated on a parking lot that is shared with a supermarket and gas stations, as well as a restaurant. There is no greenspace buffer so the outside noise comes in loud and clear. If you are a light sleeper this may not be the place for you. For a couple of nights we could easily deal with these minor disturbances but I probably would not have been able to over look this for a longer stay.

The service in general was good ans staff friendly. Pool area was clean and quiet while we were there. The gym however is very small with limited equipment.

The breakfast was good with the expected variety but nothing that put the experience "over the top." Breakfast on weekdays ends at 9:30 am so you need to get down early. We arrived at 9:10, as did many other guests and some items were low or gone and there was only one staff attendant to manage the area. She seemed to be torn about whether to top up items or start cleaning up. I would suggest that if breakfast is going to end this early food items be topped up right until 9:30 and clean up is only started after the "official" end time.

The location is good like many other hotels; close to all the major shopping areas, but the surrounding area is not as nice as properties situated on the west side of the interstate which has direct access to many restaurants, shops etc.

Although there are some drawbacks, I would stay here again for a short stay and the right deal. However, if I were picking a hotel as not just a place to sleep and to be more of a get-a-way, there are other options in this area that I think fit that bill more appropriately.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Fargo_CountryInn, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fargo, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that the hotel staff, amenities, and location were well suited to your needs, but I would like to apologize for the noise issues you experienced. I will also pass on your concerns with the food availability to our breakfast attendants to avoid this problem in the future. I hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times over the last few years, the last time in May.

I was there for the Fargo marathon weekend. When I came to check in, I was offered a free upgrade as a member of their points program.

My room was awesome. Quiet, big, in the corner. Fridge hidden in the dresser. Not sure if there was a microwave as I didn't look...

I have a love/hate relationship with the cookies they always have in the lobby. The staff is wonderful and very cheerful. The place is always nice and clean, well lit.

I love, love, love the location. Right by the mall, many restaurants (Green Mill right behind). Gas stations. Interstate close by.

I just don't have a bad word to say!!

I felt the price matched up just fine.

• Stayed May 2013
Fargo_CountryInn, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fargo, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you so much for the great review and naming us "the place to stay in Fargo!" I am so glad you enjoyed your upgraded room and some of the amenities we have to offer. We do have a mini fridge and microwave in all of our guests rooms as well as fresh cookies daily in our lobby. We hope to see you back next year for the 10th year of the Fargo Marathon!

St. Cloud, MN
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The staff and rooms were excellent. We didn't arrive in time for the guest reception but it sounded very interesting. We really enjoyed breakfast. Real plates and silverware were used. I appreciated that they had cooked oatmeal, not just packets of instant, and healthy toppings to go with it.
This was the best hotel of our 17 day trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Fargo_CountryInn, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fargo, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review. I am so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our Be Our Guest breakfast. This past fall we switched to the real plateware and we have received great feedback! We are so honored that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you back in the future!

Parshall, North Dakota
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

I have a Club Carlson card and I always try to stay at Country Inn if possible. The one in this town was just as great as all the others. The front desk staff was smiling and polite, they had upgraded my room due to my membership. Love that! The bartender was funny and easy to talk too. Breakfast was great. Clerks were more than accommodating for the things I forgot to pack.
the hotels location couldn't be better. Easy access to eating, shopping, and the interstate.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Fargo_CountryInn, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fargo, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review! I am so glad you enjoyed the room upgrade you were offered for being an elite Club Carlson Member and that you were able to enjoy the some of various amenities we offer including our Be Our Guest Breakfast and the Lounge. We truly appreciate your kind words and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Fargo!

Director of Sales
Alachua, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I haven't stayed at the Country Inn properties in the past but will have to in the future! The young lady I dealt with on the phone had awesome customer service skills and a great phone presence. Upon arriving at the property, I saw they were in an excellent location for dining and shopping (there are many great places along 13th) and the outside of the property shows their maintenance staff does a great job. The young ladies at the desk (Rachel, who was training and Melissa Hollatz, the AGM) were very friendly and both have good customer skills. The room was amazing (if you have never stayed at a Country Inn, you are in for a great surprise) and cleaned thoroughly for a new arrival.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Fargo_CountryInn, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fargo, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and your first experience at a Country Inn & Suites. I will be passing on your compliments to our staff, especially Melissa and Rachel. I know they will appreciate your wonderful comments!

Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I want to start by thanking the country inn. My husband has their Club Carlson card, so we were upgraded to a suite which was wonderful since we had out 11 month old son staying with us. The extra space was definitely needed!
The room was very clean, bed was comfortable.
My only complaint would be the lack of counter space in the bathroom (though there was a counter with mirror above the fridge/microwave that could be used also) and the window looking outside had a lot of build up on it, so it wasn't real easy to see out the window. There complaints are not deal breakers though!
We took advantage of the free breaskfast both morning of our stay. great selection! Nice to have something more than just boxes of cereal!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Fargo_CountryInn, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fargo, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us such a wonderful review! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the upgraded room and our Be Our Guest breakfast. Complimentary upgrades are just one of the great amenities we are able to provide for our elite Club Carlson members! We hope to see you on your next trip to Fargo!

Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Clean hotel, what a hotel should be like. The staff was friendly and dressed appropriately. The front desk helped answer all my questions. We needed something fixed in the room and the staff showed up quickly. He was a nice looking young man, not a creepy older man you would not want in your room. I went for a concert and was able to walk to the show there and back. The area around the hotel was safe, even late in the evening. I would recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Fargo_CountryInn, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fargo, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and noticed that we do our best to keep our facilities clean and provide great customer service. We are truly honored that you will be recommending us to your friends and we hope to see you back on your next trip to Fargo!