“Nice hotel but crummy location (loud trains at night)”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fargo
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Pros:

Room and hotel are clean, easy 10 min. from the Airport.; free breakfast; decent selection of TV channels; free USAToday

Cons:

Maybe people in Fargo are cold, like the weather, but the fat young woman who checked me in in the evening wasn't very friendly, acted like she was doing me a big favor to give me her attention and answer basic questions. (Why is it people who are indifferent or hate their jobs are always assigned to greet customers? LOL)

Breakfast was nothing special: Cold cereal; instant oatmeal in packets; a few muffins; fruit--bananas and apples--was old and obviously rotten. (When I asked a woman working the breakfast area if she had fresh fruit, she snapped, "That's all we have!" Nice.)

Biggest downside of this place is it's location. Well, it's in Fargo, so I wasn't expecting much, but I didn't expect my sleep to be interrupted by non-stop train whistle noise, which it was. And I had even requested a quiet room away from the hwy.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, even Officer Marge!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 November 2010

It was a place to stay, unfortunately it didn't meet expectations. For cost conscious single or friend travelers, this hotel is just okay. I wouldn't recommend to anyone traveling with children.

The purpose of a hotel is to have a place to sleep. The very soft beds make a good nights sleep impossible. Add the wobbly unsecured toilet, open hole where the shower head pipe enters the wall, and green growth in the corners of the pool (hand rails in both the hot tub and pool were loose) - it wasn't a great stay. If you are over 5'9", prepare to duck while in the shower. Have stayed at higher rated hotels in the area and they are much better.

The continental breakfast was very disappointing. Greasy egg patties, weird sausage hash, no toast or bagels, juice was equivalent to sugar water. There were the waffles you could make yourself.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Vactions can get very expensive but when you get a hotel like this with a GREAT breakfast included in the hotel price it sure makes things cheaper. It's not your average continental breakfast with just ceral. There is waffles, muffins, fruit, ceral ~ I can't even remember everything but we got our belly's full! Great value for a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I stayed here this past weekend. Our room was o.k. but the bathroom was terrible. It looked like they were in the middle of construction but let us stay in the room anyway. They had changed the light fixture and the drywall mud was still wet. There are two mirrors in the bathroom and they both had water spots all over them so they obviously weren't wiped before our stay. I think the only thing that was cleaned was the sink as there was hair on the bathroom floor and in the shower. The wallpaper was coming off the walls and there was hairspray all over the walls as well. They probably gave us this room because we used a 20% off coupon. I also found the room a little noisy as I could hear people stomping around above us. I would never stay here again. When I checked out in the morning, the front desk clerk never even asked me how I enjoyed my stay. I had to offer up my complaints. Staybridge Suites is a much better place to stay in Fargo.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2010

This place is awesome. The lady at the front desk is extremely helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, and patient. The rooms are spacious with desk, pull out couch, two t.v.'s, and big windows with a great view. Housekeeping was very efficient, came on a daily basis and friendly, We stayed almost three weeks and they did not treat us any different from overnight guests. (Some hotels discriminate against stay-over guests.) This hotel is located in the heart of Fargo right next to the mall, not far from the Fargodome, and everything else is easily accessible. This is by far one of my favorite hotels.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Very nice, clean accommodations. We had a room with a dining table, full kitchen , lounge chair and couch. We did not request this, but at check in the clerk offered it at the senior rate. The bed and linens were exceptionally nice---down comforter, very well appointed. At checkin (which was fast and easy) we were given vouchers for 2 free appetizers and 2 drinks at the on site lounge. Located on a busy street, there was some road noise and had to call the front desk to have them put a stop to some younger guests repeatedly running up and down the stairs --the head of our bed was on the wall near the stairs. The desk clerk was very apologetic and immediately talked to them and we had no more problems. Excellent breakfast with make your own waffles, and many drink and cereal options, fresh fruit. Also coffee and cookies available (along with fruit) 24/7. Free guest laundry! Really a nice facility. A bit harder to find, but with directions from the interstate, not bad.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Staff, facility and experience was one of the best I've had. The staff appear to be NDSU students, and are extremely friendly, helpful and accomodating. The room was clean and neat.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business