“The reason I will visit Fargo again.”

The Hotel Donaldson
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
winnipeg
“The reason I will visit Fargo again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was my first stay in Fargo even though I live so close. My reasoning was if I was going to go this far, I might as well go to Minneapolis. A friend & I went down for a concert & stayed at this amazing hotel. I loved it!!! The rooms were spacious, the service was genuine. We ate in the lounge the night we got there, the food & drinks were way above what we were expecting. I could have hung out there all night. I loved the little touches from baked goods & coffee in the morning, to complimentary wine & cheese in the evening. I loved the idea of every room having different artists decorate them. I will definitely be returning to Fargo because of this hotel & this area of town. We actually booked our next stay before we left:)

Room Tip: Reserve early because they book up fast.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TKUCH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ear Falls, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel really was one of a kind. Comfortable beds, beautiful bathroom. It really was a funky, chic, artsy kind of place. We really enjoyed our weekend mini vacation to Fargo, and this hotel was a big reason why. I cannot remember what room we were in anymore, but it was the one featuring the owners daughters art which was surprisingly good/tasteful for a young girl.

If our travels ever take us to Fargo again, you can be guaranteed we will be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy K
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

our second time here. prefer it to the chains off the main highway. Located in the downtown area of Fargo this hotel is in a refurbished turn of the century building, with rooms that are very different in size and layout each with a different artist contributing to the décor. we like the 5-6 pm complimentary beer, wine, pop along with the wonderful bread, cheeses, hummus and fruit. Very nice touch. The beds are turned down at 8 and we found 2 wonderful chocolate truffles at our bedside along with a CD playing music from a local band. There is a rooftop lounge that is quite nice on a warm summer day. The restaurant food is quite good. I had the walleye and my wife the steak. The food was hot and very tasty. Service was a bit on the slow side though. There was lots of parking on the street. Like the area because of all the little shops and the old architecture. Ask for room 10 if it is available. it is huge! Almost 1000 s.f. This hotel also offers complimentary Wi Fi to its guests.

Room Tip: room 10 is huge also good corner rooms
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zinger1954
Moorhead, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stay there but don't eat there! There are plenty of better restaurants in the area. Food was ordinary, service was super slow (waited an hour before the food came, waitress nowhere in sight) and patrons blasted with full sun blinding everybody. But really the main complaint is the overpriced and very basic food- nothing at all special...

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank G H
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I had heard about this hotel for years and my business travels finally took me to Fargo so I was able to try it out. Everything I had heard was spot on. The hotel was clean and my room was great. I had a nice corner room (#7) and it felt like I had my own apartment in Fargo with a sitting area and desk with a walk through closet. The staff was friendly and welcoming.

One disappointment and the reason for loosing a star was the fact that I filled out the door hanger form they give you a check in to order from a very appetizing breakfast menu. You leave the form on your door by 11pm and check off which time you wish to have breakfast. I filled it out, it was taken, and alas no breakfast ever showed up. I called the front desk and was given no explanation. Having to catch a flight, I had to leave. A disappointing end to what was otherwise a very nice stay.

Bottom line, I wouldn't count on your breakfast being delivered on time (if at all) ....But I would count on a very nice clean hotel with friendly staff and big rooms.

Room Tip: This hotel sits right downtown and faces a bar across the street. If you want a quiet room, I would...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dayton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have been fortunate to have stayed in many really cool, unique properties (boutique hotels and B&B's) and the HoDo is as good as any. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating. The facility, from the lounge to the dining room to the roof top bar to our wonderful room (#1), were all unique, cool and "hip". This place has a great vibe. Food was great (bison rib eye) as were the drinks. The roof top hot tube was great on Sunday because the roof top bar is not open on Sunday so we had complete privacy. Highly recommend this property.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tbouy
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I am surprised there are any less than stellar reviews of this boutique hotel! We found the place to be superb in every way - from the spacious layout to the amenities to the very gracious staff. Indeed, we called our suite a pied a terre more than a hotel room. Being from the East Coast and having no family or business in North Dakota, we are thinking of returning just to stay at HoDo's!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family