“Grand Inn Fargo - If All You Need Is a Place To Sleep”
Review of Grand Inn Fargo

Grand Inn Fargo
Ranked #50 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I've always wanted to visit all 50 U.S. states. I accomplished that this weekend by visiting the monuments of Mt. Rushmore and Chief Crazy Horse in South Dakota. I drove into North Dakota and back East to the airport that I flew into. As night fell on Saturday, I decided to sleep in Fargo, ND for the night. Using a rest stop hotel discount coupon I called ahead to the Grand Inn.

Overall Impression: The street view impression of the hotel is not good. It is a dark colored cinder block building adjacent to a neighborhood that did not make me feel too comfortable. However, just across the main road were more recognized brands like Motel 6, Courtyard By Marriott. So I accepted the Grand Inn as being the super value of the group. In other words, "Cheap Sleep".

Location: The hotel is very close to I-94, which is a major East-West corridor and I-29. Access to it from these two intersecting highways is very easy.

Lobby: There is nothing fancy here, with nice earth tones and cute colors. It is stark and basic. In fact my impression of it was that I was in a very large and old college dorm. The clerk behind the counter was probably not even 25 years-old, but she was very nice and provided me an extra discount. My total was no more than about $46.

Hallways: One long corridor with dim lighting and dark carpet. Again nothing to sing about, but hey, I did not pay much remember.

Room: Again the color dorm theme comes to mind. The room was very basic with very cheap furniture, however it was clean and quite large (see pictures). I take a bright LED flashlight with me to let me inspect things thoroughly. Saw nothing crawling around anyway and checked the sheets thoroughly. No unwanted visitors cruising around.

Bathroom: Simple and straight forward, again nothing fancy. But the fan motor was very loud when you cut on the light. So I used the lighting from the room while in the bathroom, so as not to disturb my neighbors (it was about 1am for the check-in).

Conclusion: It is a cheap hotel with very basic services, but if all you need is a place to sleep, which seems reasonably safe, it will do. I'd recommend for a single male friend. I would not recommend it for a single female friend. Oh by the way, it does not have key cards for the doors. They actually use 'real' keys, which can be a security risk. However the rooms did have deadbolts and a secondary locks. So I felt safe.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Lifetraveler1

Reviewed 11 May 2009

Sewer back up, bathroom unuseable, stagnent sewer water standing all night, still not fixed by noon the next day, but I was charged the full fee for this room. Owner indignant and told me they had fixed the prIoblem the night before. He lied, I stayed there I should know if there was still sewage the next day or not. Unbelievable!!!! If you stay in the motel you are CRAZY, AND I MEAN CRAZY.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 26 October 2008

Enjoy luxorious nights of tiny sheets popping off giant cardboard matresses! Wondrous feasts of slimy moldy and stale bread products great you each second hand smoke filled morning. Meet many new suspicious stains and the irratic heating/cooling system!
During our stay we came back to find we had been locked out of our room. After 10 or so minutes they let us back in with no actual explanation, just some vague question dodging and "computer errors." We had requested fitting sheets for the bed, and returned to find that they had not cleaned our room, and merely stretched the same small matress cover back over the matress under un-made sheets. Classy.
Sitting in the room typing as I breath in smoky horrid air and am unable to open the wilndows. Which sucks because these are non-smoking units apparently. Also lack of electric outlets.
These guys are just really lame. Go somewhere else. They were watching "Constantine" at the front desk too. Seriously what the hell why would anyone watch that movie.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank hotelschoopy
Reviewed 22 October 2007

I don't even know where to begin this place was so awful. They could let people stay here for free and it wouldn't be worth it. Front desk staff were rude, the place stinks, our room was dirty, (SOOO gross in fact that my normally very easy-going husband wouldn't even take his clothes off for bed!!). Carpet in room dirty. Hair in sink. Hair on bathroom floor. No soap to wash hands with. Would NOT honour our coupons (actually, they said they would but when we got home and checked our credit card statement it was clear they did not). Power went out when I was in the bathroom for midnight bathroom-break. No power = no air conditioning (this was during heat wave in July!!). When power did resume (maybe an hour+ later) the alarm clock came on full blast (what the #@@!????? the alarm wasn't even ON!??). Loud noises. Car alarms going off. My pillow was sooo flat (how flat was it?) well...i dunno, it was just flat. Doesn't really matter though, the mattress was so uncomfortable I didn't sleep a wink anyway. Course, I wouldn't have even tried had I seen the stains on the mattress ..... shudder.......

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank beenthar_donethat
Reviewed 1 August 2007

My husband and I stayed here for one night only prior to flying out to Las Vegas the following day.

The breakfast was not great but it was adequate and there was certainly nothing wrong with it. Room was small but clean and comfortable. Bathroom was clean. For a one night stay it was just fine. Didn't really check out the rest of the place as we only needed a place to lay our heads for the night.

If all you want is a clean room to sleep in this place is fine. What more do you want/expect for $50/night?

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2007

The entire place reeked of stale smoke. The hallway to the rooms was so dark it was unsafe at night. The curtains in the room did not close. The shower curtain was full of mold. The pictures on the internet are very, very deceiving. The sheets were too small for the bed so they came off immediately. The sheets were so old you could see through them. There was only one maid so it took her most of the day and half of the night to clean the rooms. The breakfast had moldy bagels and was absolutely horrible. We ran to the nearest exit. We would not stay anywhere near the Grand Inn again. The internet on this hotel is very, very deceiving.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank lso45
Reviewed 20 May 2007

We stayed at Motel 75 for many years.
They always took a coupon from The Winnipeg Free Press
as well as punched the 75 club card.
With Grand Inn it's one or the other, not both, but the Grand Inn in Grand Forks and Moorehead will do both.
Plus Motel 75 used to have stay 7 nights, 8th night free.
With Grand Inn it's been changed to stay 9 nights, 10th night free.
I guess the new owner wants to make a quick buck.
Beds and continental breakfast, terrible.
Plus ever who did the wiring in this hotel didn't have a clue what they were doing.
All the (Receptacles) were put in upside down.
The round plug-in should always be on the bottom, not on the top. Not too good for plugging in a night light.
All the rooms where the plugs are right side up, are the rooms I've stayed in when it was Motel 75, I changed the plugs around
for my night lights.
I await farther reviews and commets on any changes The Grand Inn in Fargo should make before we stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple