“Nice restaurant, specialized menu”

The Hotel Donaldson
Ranked #65 of 338 Restaurants in Fargo
Price range: US$14 - US$50
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We made a reservation to eat at this restaurant before a show we were going to later in the evening. The menu is small and specialized - there is probably something to suit most tastes, but it might be worth checking online before going. We ordered the halibut entree and the "MN grass fed beef NY" (we had to confirm that the cut was a NY strip since it's not really clear in the name). We also had the cheese platter as an appetizer, plus wine and beer. The cheese platter was excellent and varied, and included olives and some dried fruit. There was also a bread service which we had not expected and an amuse bouche at the beginning of the meal, which was fun.

The entrees were smaller portions, which we appreciated because we were only staying in town one night and did not want leftovers. They were both very good. The beef had a really nice wine sauce, and the halibut came with a cauliflower puree and lobster sauce which was tasty. One note, however - the halibut was also garnished with baby radishes, which were cooked/blanched and did not present well at all. They looked really unappetizing and I wish they had been served another way (sliced, maybe, instead of whole).

We loved the decor and artsy feel of the restaurant, and we really liked our server, who was attentive and friendly. We were a little bit disappointed that even though we had a reservation, we were not seated in a booth, especially because the tables were kind of small and in close quarters with the tables beside them. But otherwise, we really enjoyed our meal and would go there again.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Unique food choices, freshness of the food and the wonderful service from all employees. The food is all grown locally which is a nice bonus.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

The service is very good. The atmosphere is great. The menu is trying to be very gourmet. The problem is it comes off as pretentious. I wanted to love this place but with all the menu items having some sort of funky sauce or other unnecessary twists. It becomes a distraction from the food. The food was good but a little under seasoned. Our overall experience was good. I wanted to like it more than I did. I wish we would have eaten in the lounge instead of the restaurant. The lounge has a different menu than the restaurant. The lounge menu doesn't seem to be quite as pretentious. It's a nice restaurant in downtown Fargo ND but it's trying to be more sophisticated than it needs to be.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

The HoDo is a long standing fixture in downtown Fargo, ND. It is a funky little restaurant with a relaxed and casual ambiance. The menu is impressive and not very typical of the area. Our server was friendly and returned in a timely manner to check on us.

The food; however, was a bit of a disappointment. We both ordered the smoked salmon with avocado and grapefruit for our lunch as we chose to eat lite, I just didn't realize how lite. At first I thought the salad was the garnish for the tiny slice of bland salmon on my plate. The arugula was fresh and tasty, what there was of it, and so were my two thimble sized pieces of avocado. The croutons were completely flavorless, a bit stale and were best left on the side of the plate.

My recommendation if you are planning on dining at the Hotel Donaldson is to grab a bite before you arrive. I was just as hungry when we left as I was when we arrived.

1  Thank Craig S
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

This is our kind of experience! Great table service of wine and bottled water! Amuse Bouche, bread sculptures, food art at its best! To top it off, food tasted fantastic and they were very open to watching ingredients for my gluten and dairy diet restrictions!! We had our children with us and were very accommodating to making them comfortable too!! Our French server was very knowledgeable...we wish we had a French server at our restaurant!! ;)

Been to The Hotel Donaldson? Share your experiences!