“Aweful!”

Ranked #42 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
Steinbach, Canada
“Aweful!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Aweful experience right from the moment we walked in! We arrived to no welcome, a clerk on the phone arguing with someone, a box of beer on the back counter, an employee sprawled across a couch in the lobby.The pool/hot tub were out of order. Our "non-smoking" room reeked of smoke and old urine and looked grimy. We complained and asked for a different room. The clerk was unapologetic and apathetic. We asked if she would like to come smell the room herself and her response was, "Oh, I believe you" like this is a common issue. We tried to use the room phone to call a different hotel but it was sticky to touch and wasn't working. We cancelled our stay at the front desk. The clerk didn't say a word, just gave me a printout confirming my cancellation. No "I'm sorry" or "Have a good day" from this clerk who didn't even make eye contact. Worst service ever!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Moorhead, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This Quality Inn is in a great location near the Mall and most restaurants. As Quality Inns go the room was a good size with room to spread out with two Queen beds. The bathroom was so small you had to step in and stand by the toilet to shut the door or you could not get in the shower, Also the shampoo was half empty which seems a little strange and nasty did not use. Breakfast was very good with all the usual items plus waffles, eggs and sausage. There is a swimming pool and hot tub both were appeared clean and the pool was very warm. So the only down side was the staff. I was checked in by a young guy wearing a baseball cap sideways and could not even bother to get up off the chair. No benefit here for being Diamond member. A second incident occurred at breakfast when two employees were making breakfast talking about moving in with some guy and getting out of the mothers house. One was wearing just socks walking around and the main person putting breakfast items out looked like he had not changed his hoodie in about a month it was nasty and so unprofessional. And that does not include catching one other employee listening at someones door. Seems all the employees are young and not had any kind of customer training.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Roswellcop
Fort Frances, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Since we never did actually get to stay I can't comment on the how clean the room was or the comfort of the room since I never saw it. I can say that the hallway carpets were quite spotty and the hallway walls were dirty. The overwhelming chlorine smell as we stepped into the first doors was a bit much too. We stood at the desk and waited and waited. Finally a guy rushes in from outside. All scruffy looking and walks behind the desk, doesn't speak in full sentences and not very polite or welcoming or even a smile or eye contact. Checks us in, hands us keys and tells us our room number. no directions. So we wander off into the hall, up the stairs and to our room. keys don't work. so we take our bags back to the desk, no one there. wait, wait, wait,,, finally the same guy comes blowing in. rekeys our keys. we walk back up the stairs with our bags and try the keys, no luck. back down the stairs we are headed when another guest tells us he had that same room the previous night and couldn't get into the room. The door is not functioning. so back to the desk. we wait, wait wait,, guy blows in again from outside. We explain the situation. He is stumped at first and wants us to try to get a refund on the web site we booked on. Then he wants to let us in with a master key and it's broken. Then he says the hotel is booked solid we are out of luck. I very gently say there has to be a way that we can be helped since I did book well in advance and was promised this, what is he going to do? He runs across the lot and gets a gal from the Econo lodge. They are going to move us there since this hotel is full for the night. Seriously?!? a downgrade?!? I ask about breakfast, a pool, a hot tub. nope to them all. Well, I booked on line, in advance and I was PROMISED these things. So (very sweet gal) agrees to move us to the Quality suites next door. So we load up our vehicle and drive over. She checks us in there, we head to our new room and it's all very fresh, renovated and clean and nice. My first impression was very very bad, I don't know if I would have changed my mind over the course of our two nights but since we didn't even get into the room I can't comment on anything else. Desk clerk that appears professional would be a good start, makes eye contact and greets guests with a good evening etc would also help. In the end we were served well by a very sweet gal, (who made eye contact and greeted us)with an upgrade so it worked out. I am skeptical that this hotel really qualifies for the 2.5 or better star rating that it was given on the site I booked at. With a deep clean and some renovations it might.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Fargo hotels

Crystal City, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed here while waiting on a very early morning departure from the airport. The staff were friendly though not that helpful when asked questions about the area. The pool was not open for use while I was there, not sure why. Also there is no elevator for the second floor so if you have issues with carrying your luggage up the stairs I would definitely make sure your room is on the first floor. Room was clean, but everything in the room was unplugged for some reason so I had to go around and plug lights and the tv in.
Overall it was an ok stay for the short amount of time I was there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rebecca R
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My family and I stayed here a night before we left for Las Vegas and a night 5 days later when we returned. As soon as you walk in the smell of chlorine from the pool in overwhelming. I found thick black hairs woven in the blankets as well stains and cigarette burns in the blankets and curtains and the bathrooms needed a really good scrubbing. Being pet friendly I expected to see dogs but not in the kitchen area where they were serving breakfast and I did not expect to see all the dog feces around the building. When we left for Vegas we had planned to leave a few things in our cars but were told that it would be no problem to leave a few things including our winter jackets with the hotel. We were told they would be kept in the managers office. Since we were coming back to the same hotel we thought it was wonderfu! When we returned from our trip we were informed that our winter jackets as well as a few other things were stolen from the managers office when someone let a previous tenant in unsuperivsed. We were upset but understood that things happen and all we wanted to know was what would the Quality Inn be doing to get us winter jackets so that we wouldn't freeze when we went back to Winnipeg. The woman at the front desk Tara (the one who told us we could leave our stuff there in the first place) was sympathetic she could offer us no information about how this situation would be handled. When we asked to speak to a manager Tara called a woman named Terri/Terry who it seemed really didn't want to talk to us. When I finally asked Tara to hand me the phone so I could talk to Terri I was shocked. Terri couldn't have been more rude and ill tempered. She said they should not have accepted responsibility for our things and that even if someone had broken into our room and stolen our things they would not be resposible to replace them. She said that in this instance they would make a claim through their insurance company but couldn't do anything other than that. We had to buy new jackets and left copies of the receipts with the front desk to send to the insurance compay. When my mom called back to find out what was happening with the claim she had the pleasure of talking to Terri again who apparently still has not learned any manners or the meaning of good customer service.There are so many other hotels right next to this place, I recommend staying any where else but here. If you decide to stay here disappoinment is guaranteed. Your money will be better spent any where else.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Have been here many times but this is the last. Checked in by a surly individual, male or female, could"nt tell, No conversation, just sign here. Directed to back entrance when asked which end to unload luggage, then had to walk all the way to the front, to where the room was a minute from the front lobby door. Room was not properly cleaned. Breakfast area and food was o.k.. Staff at check-out dressed like they were laborers. Had no idea of the local radio station when asked. Hotel should be removed from choice privileges choosings.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The family went down to Fargo from Winnipeg for some shopping and eats. The fist thing was the lack of professionalism from the staff. They should at least have a dress code....not sweats and tee shirts! There was ketchup on the hallway wall that remained there for all 3 days. The pool was filthy and same goes for the hot tub. Side entrance door was not locked at any point during our stay. Our room wasn't that bad, but they should include a fridge and microwave considering there was room for it. We will defiantly look for alternate accommodations for our next trip to Fargo:(

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family