“Central Location - But Noisy”

Econo Lodge West Fargo
Ranked #46 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have stayed here a couple times. Rooms are a good size and some come with micro and fridge. Flat screen tvs and a place to sit rather than the bed all the time. But wow its noisy was woke up every morning at 530 am by either trucks outside or people in the hallways. I know this is not the hotels fault but it does not make for a relaxing stay. I have been here two separate stays and the banging doors is the same. Breakfast is pretty good. Bacon and eggs avail this morning plus waffles and the usual stuff. But again depending on the guests you have to be quick, my last stay was behind a school party that cleared the place out and today it looked like it was employee bring your kid to breakfast day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 April 2014

As we arrived the hotel looked ok.
As we entered the room it seemed ok, 32 inch tv, reasonably spacious.
Before long i wished i never entered.
Bed was completely worn out, sheets wont stay under mattress, mattress has a huge dip in middle we roll into.
Worst was in morning tossing quilt off and seeing brown crusty stains on blanket.
The bedding is not washed, hopefully the sheets.
Disgusting, the housekeeping and management are terrible.
The halls are clean at front but other areas have the same sticky stains for the 3 days we were there.
No fridge in room.
Breakfast only until 9AM, if you aren't up early on weekends forget it.
I will never be back at this hotel.

Room Tip: stay away!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 28BrianM
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I'm not very picky and hardly ever complain, but I feel ripped-off and cheated. I have never written a review before, but I thought I should let others know about this experience since it was so bad. I also wrote to hotel manager Ralph Reynolds but never got a response. Goes to show how much this place values their frequent customers.

My daughter (age 3) and I had a room (#201). We've stayed at this location several times before when passing through Fargo. But there has always been a less than satisfactory element to this hotel: the cleanliness of the rooms. The housekeepers don't do a very good job.

In the past we've found bobby pins, candy wrappers, and crumbs strewn about our rooms. On a previous stay we also found crumpled tissues and ALOT of spilled popcorn on the floor under the bed skirt. Do the maids even vacuum the rooms after each guest? If not, they should.

After the previous stay when my daughter's toy rolled under the bed skirt and she found the spilled popcorn (which thank God she didn't eat), she looked under there this time and found a condom wrapper and some Hershey's kisses. Gross and completely unacceptable. There was also a weird stain on the fitted sheet which looked greasy or oily, and also a white stain on the couch cushion. I immediately called the front desk and told him what happened and asked for some clean bedding. I went downstairs and an unfriendly looking guy apologized for the incident and gave me clean bedding.

After changing the bedding and covering up the couch I checked the rest of the room. There was a big half eaten block of government cheese in the fridge. It was open and dried up so it must've been in there awhile. Don't the maids clean out the fridges after each guest?

In the bathroom near the light switch there are yellow-brown smears which look like feces, but maybe it could have been from food or grease of some sort? The luggage rack had mud or something caked on it, so I put it behind the chair to keep it away from my daughter. This "mud" was also on the floor in the closet area near the door. There was an abundance of large crumbs near the trashcan by the television. There's no way a maid could have missed it if she vacuumed, which I don't think she even did. The drain is also plugged in the tub.

I don't think this room had been cleaned since February since the HBO guide was from February and I stayed here in late March. Also, previously the swimming pool was very hot (actually hotter than the hot tub), but this time it was ice cold and my daughter couldn't even play in it. What's so hard about having it at a decent temperature?

The next day I asked Marie at the front desk if I could speak to the manager. There was also another girl sitting behind the counter with her feet up on the desk playing on her cell phone, very unprofessional. Marie said Ralph the hotel manager took the day off, and asked me what the problem was. I told her and she offered an insincere apology, then offered to give us a 15% discount and a different room. I said yes but would have to move later since I was on my way out for the day. Later when we got back my daughter didn't want to move because she was tired (as was I), and she also already had her play area fixed up the way she liked it. I figured since I'd already changed the sheets, covered the couch, picked up what I could, and wiped down surfaces, it wouldn't be so bad for the remainder of the stay. I didn't feel like cleaning another room, lol.

When we checked out, Marie apologized once again and mentioned that the 15% would take a few days to show up. But it turns out she only gave us a 10% discount, as it showed on my bank statement. So Marie either doesn't know how to do math, or she just flat-out lied to me. I know it's not a big difference in cost, but that's not the point. It's just bad customer service to lie to guests.

The housekeepers need to do a better job, and thoroughly clean room 201. The workers also need customer service training. I know this is an EconoLodge and not a 5 Star Hotel, but I don't think it's too much to ask for a clean room. There are a lot of travelers with children (and pets, as I heard dogs barking in other rooms), and some of these things could be dangerous/hazardous to young children (and pets) who put everything in their mouths.

I don't plan on staying here again, but if I do I will write another review and post pictures as well.

Room Tip: Look under dust ruffles as this is where all the trash seems to get pushed. Ask for clean bedding wh...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank MsMinneapple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I am a positive person but also honest! Receptionist not real friendly upon arrival, hotel was okay when you walked in! Needs to be dusted up I agree with that! Rooms were decent lamp busted beds were clean I liked the duvet cover that was updated beds were soft decent rooms fairly clean. Housekeeping staff fairly friendly! Fairly quiet hotel. Breakfast okay not much room for people though they need to be ready with food when they have a full house people eat a lot! They ran out of stuff but replenished. We got the room for $70 on expedia did not know where we were getting was wondering what it would be like not sure if I would stay again but for the price and okay room maybe! Pool was chilly! No elevators 2 levels only.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel from Apr. 5 to Apr 8. The staff were most helpful, especially Mike at the front desk. Also another front desk clerk went to the other hotel to get some peanut butter on the Sunday as they had run out. My wife was als happy that they had butter instead of margarine. We had asked that they not use any air freshener in the room before we came and they didn't. As well they aired out the room for a few hours before we got there. The breakfast was great and they had enough. The only morning they were running low was on Sunday as the hotel was near full and they hadn't planned for that. The only thing that would have made our stay better is if they had a fridge and microwave in the room. It was kind of a pain to have to go to the lobby to heat water when we needed it. But other wise we were most happy and would recommend this hotel from our experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

As a group of 9 we all had the same thoughts about this hotel, we will never stay here again!
Bad service, awful breakfast, poor excuses and dirty, dirty, dirty!
our expectations were not high since this is one of those lower priced hotels but, your better off staying at the Super 8 and saving another $15.00 and have a better experience than this.
First of all when we walked in, the worker at the front desk didn't even look up at us when he asked "what do you want!"
Pool was closed which was huge for us since we travelled for hours with 5 children and they just wanted to have fun in the pool. He wouldn't give us a reason why it was closed and only said it would be fixed first thing in he morning, which it was not!
an hour before breakfast was done we went down and hardly found anything there. there were 3 other families looking for food and the manager Ralph tried putting together some microwaved items that fed only a few people. He later tried saying that they cut him back on his breakfast and apologized for the lack of it.
The worst part of this hotel is how dirty it was. My son kept saying he felt dusty and that he feels like he is breathing in dust. We could hardly breath in the morning from the stale air and the dust in the rooms. In the morning we were able to see all the dust being disturbed when you walked on it and than we looked under the beds! Not a good idea because there was about a 6 inch diameter around the bed box full of crumbs, dirt and dust! we even found another guests glasses, water bottle and used tissue in the room. As we were packing up to go I watched the other rooms being cleaned after the guests left .the only things I saw that was being done is the sheets were changed and put in a laundry wagon and then the worker moved on to the next room. NO VACUUM IN SIGHT! they don't even have a cart that they used for cleaning products to clean the bathrooms. We even walked by the supply room and saw no vacuum. The hallway carpet and stairs were not vacuumed for a long time for sure!
I feel bad for leaving such a bed review but unanimously all 9 of us had the same review for this place. This place needs a major clean up! Even though we got a good rate at this hotel, we all felt ripped off.
The good thing about this hotel was that the bed was comfy and the best part was that Paradiso Mexican Restaurant is right next door to the hotel.

Suggestion:All 9 of us would not recommended this hotel at all and we are not that picky!

Reason for Trip:spring break

Travel Companions:Family

Room Tip: we often stay at lower priced hotels but this by far is the worst one we have stayed in.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Carol D
Reviewed 25 December 2013

First and foremost, the people who are giving negative reviews should remember that they booked at an Econo Lodge and not the Fairmont - so I am reviewing it at as a two star not a 5 star. I got an EXCELLENT rate off of Hotwire. Given that I was only in town for the night, I really didn't expect much. I was pleasantly surprised. Large bed, very clean room and a big TV. Free WiFi, and also included was a hot and cold continental breakfast. The bed was also fairly comfortable, and the room had a fridge and microwave.

For a short stay, the room was an excellent value, clean, very friendly staff, and a good hot cup of coffee in the morning.

In addition, the hotel is located next to shopping and good restaurants.

I must admit, for the rate I paid, I wasn't expecting much and I was pleasantly surprised,,,,

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple