“Solid hotel for the price”
Review of Econo Lodge East

Econo Lodge East
Ranked #42 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've stayed at this Econolodge for years. We live in the Twin Cities and visit my parents in Bismarck once or twice a year, and we break up the drive by spending the night in Fargo.
The staff at Econolodge are always very friendly, and the rooms are clean and everything functions well. We've never had any problems with noise, smelly rooms, or anything not working properly.
Pricing has always been more than reasonable for a basic hotel. Remember, this isn't the Four Seasons, but it has everything my family and I need and expect for the occasional overnight stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tom111222333
Chris H, General Manager at Econo Lodge East, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2015

Thank you for your regular stays with us. We are actually looking at options to upgrade the hotel. Some ideas are a fitness room, larger laundry facility that would be open full-time and even a hot tub and sauna possibly. We are adding 18 rooms to our inventory and replacing the full size beds with queens.

Have a great day and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The staff was excellent, friendly, helpful, accommodating, upbeat, and welcoming.
The room however was terrible. This is not a two star hotel, this is a run down one star in desperate need of a renovation.
Being pet friendly means pet messes which have to be cleaned up properly. I'm guessing the room I stayed in was cleaned with some powerful ammonia based cleaners. I stayed two nights and it took the first day for the overwhelming stench to die down to a tolerable level. Had the staff not been as friendly as they were I'd of demanded another room.
The value is good, you get a good above average continental breakfast, free wifi, fridge and microwave in room and it's close to the mall.

Downside was everything was worn out, stained, and smelly.

Being a Priceline customer I'd be very disappointed if I got this hotel again before some major work is done.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor so you can air out your room without worrying about leaving the w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stabbo
Chris H, General Manager at Econo Lodge East, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

We apologize for any smells from cleaners in your room. We are working on getting upgrades for the rooms and improving on little things. We appreciate not just good reviews but also the reviews where we fell short as a team.

Thank you for staying with us.

Chris and Patti
Managers

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Ok, let me start by saying, anyone who has written a negative review should be reminded that they have booked at a 2 star hotel, so you should show up expecting a 2 star, not a 4 star. Folks should at least review it as a 2 star to be fair, which is what I have done.

I booked this hotel off hot wire for 1 night and received an excellent rate. Room was inexpensive and I was there for 1 night and really didn't expect much. Here's what we got:

- nice clean room, comfy bed.
- flat screen TV
- fridge/microwave
- excellent location near West Acres mall and all the box store shopping.
- free WiFi
- free breakfast (variety of hot & cold cereal, toast, bagels, donuts & muffins, hard boiled eggs, coffee and juice).

What the hotel doesn't have is a pool or hot tub.

I'd recommend the hotel for:

- short stays
- travelers on a budget
- girls shopping weekend (4 to a room would make the room dirt cheap)
- seniors
- couples with no kids

The staff were lovely and very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris H, General Manager at Econo Lodge East, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2015

Thank you for your stay and review. As the new general manager since last year I am trying to catch up on older reviews. We are currently going through a remodel which will add rooms and we have already removed our double beds and replaced them with queens. We are also looking at options such as expanding the breakfast items and adding a fitness center.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This hotel was clean and comfortable, but very small. It has a great location right by the mall. The beds were comfortable, the breakfast in the morning was very small, although we did head to it later in the morning. The staff was extremely friendly. We have stayed at econolodges before that were much nicer, but this one worked fine for our needs. I would not say it is equivalent to other two star hotels we have stayed at, more like 1 or 1 1/2

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer20087

I have been the new general manager for about a year now. Many things are changing here which will make this a much nicer hotel. We have already changed all the double beds out for queens. We are completely repainting our rooms and adding 18 rooms. New sinks and ADA toilets, plus possibly a fitness center.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

It was a no smoking Econo Lodge although my room smelled like it had been smoked in for years! Beds and pillows were very hard and uncomfortable and they had stains on my sheets. I had to get them changed, gross! Hair in the tub but nice smell was in the lobby though...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank H0telW0rker
TMIHospitality, Manager at Econo Lodge East, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear H0telW0rker,
Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allows us to improve the quality of our products and services. I apologize that your room was not clean and had a smokey odor when you arrived. I will be addressing your comments with my housekeeping staff. We hope you give us a chance to make things right and try the Econo Lodge Fargo again next time you find yourself in the area.

Heather W.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Came to Fargo for the marathon arriving very late at night. Went to the wrong Econo lodge at first (they are pretty close together but not affiliated with each other) before finding the correct one tucked off 35th St.

It is you basic highway motel and I requested my favoured upstairs, king-size bed. Strangely, they only had kings on the ground floor so I went with that after assurance that the couple upstairs were old and not likely to cause a ruckus.

The room was typical, clean, with flat-screen tele, refrigerator and microwave. The couple upstairs didn't raise a ruckus, but I heard creaking floors every time they plodded off to the bathroom, which seemed often.

Breakfast was generous with cereals, breads, waffles, fruit and hard-boiled eggs.

So a fair place to stay, but get an upstairs room.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room as the floors creak when people walk around, and there are no kings upstairs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Powel C
FargoEL_GM, General Manager at Econo Lodge East, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Thank you so much for your review! It is always nice to receive feedback so that we may improve our hotel. I do apologize that the noise from upstairs was bothersome for you. I want you to know that I am looking into the situation to see if there is a solution for future guests. I sincerely hope to see you again the next time you are in Fargo, ND.

Best regards,

Heather Walker

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Rolled in late, rolled out early perfectly adequate room for an overnight on a traveling vacation. A little tricky to find as it is tucked in to a curve in the road with several other hotel/motels. No elevator. Could have stood for the smokers to have to move away from the end of the building, but that is a common complaint with me. For the price I would certainly stop again if we are ever in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Etoile_of_NE_Ohio

Thank you for staying with us. We are looking at options for the ends of the building which will make it better for our non-smoking guests, such as a designated area which is clear of the doors.