“NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL”

Fairfield Inn Grand Forks
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed March 7-8
Booked four rooms on my visa, advised them that the other three parties would be giving thier visa's when they get in and not to bill all them to mine. All three other parties provided thier credit cards upon arrival and the front desk scanned thier respective cards. I enquired about AMA/CAA and Gov. rate. They advised that there was a high school basketball championships on and that the rate was $189.99. No exceptions. Price was crazy, but we were down working and need the rooms. Nothing special about this place that would warrant the extreme price other than greed. Upon checking out I again advised the assistant Manager to make sure that all the other rooms were not charged to my credit card. He provided me with the managers card and said if there was to just call back and they would fix it. Three days later i check my visa and notice two charges for rooms. I called back and spoke with Luke who said I should get who ever stayed in room so and so to call them and talk to them. I spoke with the other party that stayed in room, he showed me his receipt, showed his credit card number that was billed. I had the other party contact Luke asst. manager who stated yes his card was charged for the room. Basically, I was told that I was wrong and that they did not double charge my visa. I had to contact VISA and report the double billing. VISA is dealing with this after returning the funds back to my visa card. After this dealing with this hotel, I would never stay at this place again, really!!! $830.00 for two nights! Poor customer service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank James_A_B_46
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear James_A_B_46,
Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry to hear about the negative experience you had. I'm also sorry if the authorizations on your card weren't clearly explained. When you reserved the rooms on your card an authorization was placed by your bank on your card for all of the rooms. When you checked out, your card was then charged for only your room, and your coworkers' cards were also charged for their rooms. Because the initial authorization to hold the rooms was still on your card, it appeared that you were double charged. In reality this authorization is not a charge, and it usually comes off your card a couple days later. Because each bank is different, the number of days the authorization stays on your card varies, and unfortunately, we have no control over this. But sometimes you can expedite the process by calling your bank, which it sounds like you already did. Once again, I apologize for the frustration that this caused you and hope that you can offer the Fairfield Inn Grand Forks another opportunity to earn your business on your next visit to the area.

John J.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Arrived in Grand Forks well ahead of scheduled check in time. The Manager (Luke) welcomed us and said there was no problem with early check in. He proceeded to give us a run down on all the amenities of the property, including pool hours (nice indoor pool) and said a free hot breakfast was served daily in the lobby area. Added in that coffee was available (free) 24/7.

He went on to ask if we needed anything including recommending restaurants in the area. The other front desk person seemed equally as efficient and friendly. When we went in and out of the hotel during our stay, we were always warmly greeted.

Our room was comfortable and well appointed. Ten minutes after check in, we received a phone call asking if everything was satisfactory with our room. We certainly were satisfied and the located close to shopping was ideal. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here without our kids for a small getaway. We spent the extra money to stay here, knowing that it was not a kid friendly hotel. We were not disappointed. Quiet hallways, empty pool and hot tub (which we enjoyed alone!). Staff was professional and accommodating. Breakfast had lots of fresh fruits, hot options, bagels, waffles, etc. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, WiFi that had a strong signal, close to restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Hotel rooms and corridors were clean. WIFI worked great (we were on the top floor at one end), beds were comfy. Breakfast was good, lots of choices. They were sometimes slow in replenishing breakfast items. The front desk staff do the replenishing, there isn't a person in charge of breakfast like I have seen at other hotels. Coffee and fresh baked cookies available all day in the lobby were good. All in all a satisfactory stay.
Hotel has been remodeled, except for the windows, they are older metal ones and drafty.That would be the only negative I saw, although my husband noticed the floors aren't level, there was a definate lean with the desk and the refrigerator.
Had a special coupon rate, and it was well worth the price.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The hotel and rooms were nice and clean. The price was nice (through expedia). The best part of the hotel was the breakfast. It had a waffle maker, sausages and scrambled eggs and different cereals. There was also muffins, bagels and toast and a juice machine.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed there on a weekend to Grand Forks, this time on Marriott Rewards. Room was nice, clean and comfortable. The bed and pillows were excellent, much better then many places I have stayed. Also, this a great location right by all the shopping.

WiFi here is very solid as well. Pool area is small but adequate, though became tight when a full family or 3 kids came in.

Stay regularly at Marriott properties for work and rarely disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Ryan J,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Fairfield Inn Grand Forks, and for the great compliments you posted. We take pride in having a clean and comfortable property. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that you frequently have great stays at Marriott properties. Please come back and see us again the next time you return to Grand Forks.

John J.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Had a great one night stay. The beds and pillows were better than most places we have stayed. Got a good nights sleep. Check in went fast and friendly. The breakfast was good with the fresh cut fruit. The eggs were your typical nothing fancy eggs but as a whole it was a good breakfast. Only complaints were from the kids that the pool was very cold. They usually swim in the lake and they complained that the pool was colder than the lake is. Will stay there again next time we are there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family