“Horrible Customer Service”

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Canada
“Horrible Customer Service”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Since my last stay I have had a horrible experience and didn't even make it to the hotel. The following is what has happened.

1. Booked hotel 8 months ago because we found good rates.
2. Called hotel on Nov. 3 to cancel one day of hotel stay.
3. Asked to be emailed a new confirmation of dates we are staying.
4. Got confirmation and all of our rates had gone up to the current rates the hotel was currently offering.
5. Called hotel, talked to front desk person who didn't know what to do so referred me to manager. Left message for him explanining what happened.
6. Called 1-800 reservation number who said this was a very strange situation and that the manager should be able to fix it.
7. No call back from manager so called the next day. Explained situation and asked to please have my previous rates honored. Manager said that my rates didn't go up-that my average went up. However, this is false because I cancelled the most expensive night so my average should have gone down.
8. Conferred with friend who sets rates for a 5 star hotel where I live. She said I was not crazy and it could have been a computer glitch but the hotel should honor the previous rates.
9. Called back and left manager another message calmly explaining that this was really bothering me, left confirmation number, asked him to please honor my previous rates which should have not gone up. Explained that the rates on my new reservation are currently the rates on the website. Thus, it had nothing to do with an average but the current rates. Asked to let me know what he will do about it and if he could not do anything about it to pass me on to someone who can. On msg. told him that rates were the ones they are currently offering.
10. 4 days later. No call back. However, the rates on their website have gone up since I mentioned it earlier.
11. Called back once again. Left my number once again. Told manager I STILL have email with previous rates and would be in town this weekend. If manager would like I would come down to discuss this and show him proof.
12. Next day. Still no call back.

I have been in touch with hotel 4 times so far over 10 days and nothing has been done. I have loyal supporter of another hotel chain for years but decided to try this hotel out last year. From the service and rudeness I have received I will be going back to my old hotel.

Although the rates are what I sent out to have changed, it is the attitude and lack of caring that has really put me off. To show NO sympathy, to not offer what I originally had booked and to basically brush me off is a shame. My family had in total 10 rooms booked for the same time period and we will all be changing hotels. I would rather pay a bit more to have excellent customer service than none at all. My family is quite disappointed since they have been staying here for family gatherings for years.

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels and sometimes a night needs to be cancelled. However, my rates have NEVER gone up. Ever. I really can't believe that to make a few extra bucks this hotel is willing to lose so much business. I have been in touch with the hotel 4 times and talked to someone once, got no calls back. The phone call I had with Country Inn and Suites main reservation line leads me to believe that this is not a company wide policy but one that this Grand Forks branch has implimented on their own. Shame on you Country Inn and Suites Grand Forks.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
CISGRKS, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Forks, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
I truly apologize for the delay in correcting this issue and want to express our gratitude for your business on behalf of the entire team at Country Inn & Suites Grand Forks.

I have sent the corrected reservation along with a token of our appreciation to your email address and hope that this will enable the us to serve you in the future.

If there is anything else we can do to further assist in this matter please contact us.

Country Inn & Suites Grand Forks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
manitoba
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed there recently, and it was a very comfortable stay. The room was clean and quiet, bed was very comfortable. They could probably afford to turn up the thermostat on the hot water heater, and the coffee was unfortunately typical of Grand Forks- more like brown water than coffee. But then again, it's a hotel, not a restaurant....so I shouldn't complain! :) All in all, we had a good stay and would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank terry k
CISGRKS, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Forks, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we did on your recent stay.

We have addressed the issues you brought to our attention including the hot water and coffee. I completely agree in that a hot shower and bold cup of coffee is the best way to start the day and we have taken your feedback to help us improve our operations.

Thank you from the entire team at Country Inn and Suites Grand Forks!
Winnipeg
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We decided to take a quick trip down to Grand Forks for some preChristmas shopping a couple of weeks ago. Since we had such a nice stay at the Country Inn & Suites during the summer, we thought we'd stay here again. We were definately NOT disapointed. Only one issue happened which was fixed immediately much to our satisfaction. When we checked into our room (was approx 1 hr before official check in time). We were given a room that faced a wall, no view at all. Since I am claustrophic this room would not do. I went down to the front desk and a very nice young man checked the computer and found us an identical room that faced the front of the building on the 2nd floor. Since we were checking in early we were able to move rooms. When we decide to go back to Grand Forks, we will call to reserve this specific room number so we don't look into a wall again.

We booked a studio suite since it was just the 2 of us on this trip. We were very happy with the layout of the room. Nice and large for relaxing & watching tv. I enjoy sitting on a couch or a chair instead of lounging on the bed when watching a program.

The breakfast once again was wonderful. So many selections to choose from. Even though we stayed on the weekend & the hotel was full, there were still tables to sit at in the dining area, we didn't have to take our food back up to our room as sometimes happens in other hotels with small dining areas.

We would stay here again. Thanks for the great weekend Country Inn & Suites!

Room Tip: Might want to stay on one of the top floors since you can hear a lot of traffic in the hallways if y...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank duchie011
Thank you for choosing the Country Inn & Suites for your shopping destination.

Our entire team is happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay!

We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you to Grand Forks!
Steinbach, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed here over the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. The hotel was fully booked and it didn't feel crowded at all. The pool area has one larger pool with a deep end and a shallow kiddie pool with a raining umbrella and a small polar bear water slide. There are also two hot tubs, a workout room and small arcade.
There is a large continental breakfast each morning and fresh baked cookies served at the front desk daily. The rooms are a nice size and have a mini fridge and microwave.
The hotel has a great location. It has a lot of shopping and restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: You might want to choose a room on the 4th floor where you won't have noise from people above.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sleepygirltravels
CISGRKS, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Forks, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for choosing to spend your holiday weekend with us at the Country Inn and Suites Grand Forks.

We really appreciate the great feedback and we are especially glad to hear how convenient our location made your shopping experience.

We look forward to your next stay!
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2013

stayed here last week enroute to Las Vegas - we were provided with the "park & ride" service so left our vehicles in their lot and stayed here again on way home. Excellent customer service, super comfortable beds and bedding and good breakfast bar included. Great value....will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
CISGRKS, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Forks, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
I'm very glad to hear that we were able to send you to Las Vegas well rested! Hopefully that translated into good fortune!

On behalf of the Country Inn and Suites our entire team would be happy to help the next time your travels bring you to Grand Forks.
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I have been a Club Carlson member for several years, I travel 3-4 nights a week for business and country inn and suits is always my hotel of choice I stay at a country inn at least once a week if not more. They are always nice hotels with a friendly staff. So when it came time to book a personal trip to Grand Forks to visit my son at college I wanted to stay here. We had just stayed here when we took him to college in August. Well I come to find at that even though I have a strong loyalty to Country Inn and suites it seems they don't have the same Loyalty to its Concierge members. When I called the country inn and suites reservation line I was told that while they had rooms available, that I could not use my points to get a room. I told the operator Tasha that I wanted to see my son on parent’s weekend at college. She said that she would try and call the hotel and see what she could do. When she called the manager was not in and she told me she would keep trying and call me back. The next day she called me back to tell me that she spoke to the General Manager and he said that it is a very busy weekend and that they did not have rooms available that could be used for points. The fact they had rooms but would not allow someone who stays with country inns and suites as much as I do makes me wonder why should I have such loyalty to a hotel brand if they do not do the same loyalty. I have never had a problem getting a room with points I don't know if it is this Managers way of trying to increase his profits at the hotel in place of brand loyalty or if this is a corporate policy. I am defiantly going to rethink my loyalty to this brand and begin to look elsewhere to spend my thousands of dollars a year in lodging expenses.

Room Tip: Nice hotel, clean rooms,
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
CISGRKS, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Forks, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
I'm sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience booking with points. It is my personal goal to ensure that all of our guests receive the highest levels of customer service.

On behalf of our entire staff I would like you to know that the Country Inn and Suites team here in Grand Forks values your business and loyalty as a Club Carlson member. I would like the opportunity to prove our loyalty and rectify this issue.

If you would assist me by sending me your information I will contact you as soon as possible to get this fixed.

Nolan Higdem
701-757-2200
cx_grks@countryinns.com
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Spent two nights and could not have been more pleased with the service, facilities, front desk staff and the comfort of the room. Thr breakfasts were fresh, had a nice variety and met all expectations considering the value as contrasted to other hotels in the nearby area/street. It was very easy to locate just off the Interstate, but far enough from that road whereby any traffic noise was minimal.

Room Tip: Our corner room was sunny and airy, with a nice breeze allowed via the open windows.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
CISGRKS, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Forks, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you for your great feedback on your recent stay!

I'm greatly pleased to hear that we met all expectations as our entire staff takes great care to ensure the best hospitality experience for our guests.

We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you to Grand Forks!