“see before you buy”

Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Roosevelt
“see before you buy”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

when we booked this hotel we had stayed there before so knew what they had to offer. I asked for the rate for medical travel and when we got there there was no pool. after traveling the kids looked forward to that! and vacation weekend at that! I asked for a break in price for the inconvience and they said we got one. I said we paid the same as we did last time and she said they raised the prices and lowered them because of the remodeling! no one said this when we booked!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Grand Forks
Reviewed 28 December 2013

had a wonderful stay great location for shopping in grand forks . The continental breakfast was very good lots there and they have coffe on all day .Rooms still had that new smell to them as well as a wonderful bathroom

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times and it is always been clean just a bit outdated. They have finally decided to remodel the whole hotel. The hallways have been painted and the carpets updated. The room I stayed at had been remodeled completely. The beds, linens, carpets, light fixtures, bath tubs, sinks, TV's, etc. have been updated. It is really nice. The lobby currently is a mess with the staff working from a laptop and a folding table. Their breakfast area is a small room. Unfortunately the pool and hot tub were closed for repairs and won't be open until spring. I look forward to staying here when all the renovations are complete.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Bemidji
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The hotel is under construction. And from the pictures posted online well overdue. But the new rooms are very nice. Updated and clean and the price was unbeatable. They also called after I made my reservation online to inform me of the construction, the hours of the construction and ththe that the pool is out of use, which I thought was very courteous. Would stay again for same price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 December 2013

All staff very friendly. Even the person filling up the vending machines directed me to the "front desk" as the permanent front desk was under construction - but I rec'd proper directions and didn't get lost.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Check-in took much too long and the staff was uncertain of how to perform their duties. They were even confused about how to find our reservation, although I had a print-out of the online confirmation with the reservation number. No one at the Front Desk was rude. They were just very disinterested, and this was true throughout our stay. I went to the front desk staff several times with problems, but they never engaged, never apologized and simply shrugged everything off.

We were counting on two advertised services that were no longer offered "due to renovations" -- renovations that signs noted were not scheduled to start for 3 more weeks. (1) There was no laundry service "due to renovations," so we ended up wearing dirty clothes and wasting money buying fresh underwear for everyone. (2) The Business Center was closed (and our suite had only a pathetic and unusable table and no desk), so my poor spouse ended up trying to work from the suite's uncomfortable couch and coffee table.

We booked a suite which was pictured as a living room and bedroom separated by French doors. The photo was lovely and spacious. The reality was tiny. Opening one on the French doors blocked access to the bathroom sink counter, the refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. Opening the sleeper sofa in the living room blocked access to the remaining door.

The photo showed the living room furnished with a four-person dining table, a television armoire, a sleeper sofa, an armchair, a coffee table, and a window, but there wasn't space in the tiny living room for all that. There was no window at all. Instead there was a small dresser and a tiny one-person table. was just enough clearance to open the door to the suite.

Our 10-year-old was supposed to sleep on the sleeper sofa in the living room, but after listening to him toss and turn for 45 minutes (he normally falls asleep very quickly), my spouse went to check on him -- he crawled onto the bed and immediately exclaimed in surprise. I laid down, too, and we quickly realized that he would never sleep on such a painful mattress, so we moved him onto the King bed between us.

When my son lay down on the King bed, he exclaimed, "This one has pokey springs, too." I didn't feel any pokey spring on a cursory review and dismissed his concern. The next night, I rolled over and "OW!" There was a loose spring poking up through the mattress! The front desk staff attitude when I reported it was, again, disinterested and disengaged and I seriously wondered if they were all stoned. I was pretty sure nothing would be done about it, but we left a note for housekeeping about it (the housekeeping staff were all wonderful, engaged, sweet and helpful). Housekeeping flipped the mattress for us.

When we arrived, the heat was turned on, but the heater was so noisy that we could not sleep with it running. We got extra blankets from the front desk and turned off the heater. We woke to a very chilly room and immediately turned the heater back on. Moments later, the bedroom smoke alarm went off. We turned off the heater and called the front desk. They were unconcerned and uninterested. When I pressed them (because I wanted HEAT), they theorized that it was the first time it had been turned on that season and dust had been burning off -- but the heater had been running when we arrived. Not wanting to burn down the hotel, we showered and dressed in the freezing cold.

The bathroom sink faucet dripped constantly, which was annoying. This was not repaired during our 4 day stay. There was a serious dearth of towel bars in the bathroom. Although they had the standard sign encouraging us to re-use our towels, we had to choice but to leave the wet ones the floor and receive fresh towels daily.

The breakfast was a huge disappointment. The waffles gave me diarrhea. My bagel took so long to toast that my spouse and child had finished eating before I had started to put cream cheese on it. I bit into it only to discover that the cream cheese had gone sour, so I had to throw out the bagel I had waited so long to get. The cottage cheese was grainy. There were no danishes or greek yogurt available on Monday morning, although the chalkboard proudly proclaimed they were there.

We made daily use of the pool, but my 10-year-old tripped over a loose drain cover in the whirlpool. It came off completely, exposing the drain. We got out of the pool and reported it immediately. When we came down the next day, we could see clearly that the cover had been replaced over the drain BUT IT WAS NOT SCREWED DOWN. The staff just didn't care -- but I'm sure that the parents of Virginia Graeme Baker and Abigail Taylor feel differently. Additionally, I cut my foot stepping on a sharp, loose stone from the flooring, and the provided pool towels were tiny jokes. I expected beach towels but would have content with a bath towel. The towels provided were mere hand towels.

While I wasn't shopping for a view, the view was still extremely disappointing: a Jiffy Lube and a Hardee's, plus a cherry picker parked right outside our window (presumably for the renovations). I felt exposed whenever the curtains were opens.

We were in town to attend a funeral and were forced by circumstances to extend our stay by one day. Management failed to update our key cards to reflect that, leaving us physically exhausted, emotionally drained and locked out of our room.

Due to the unhappy circumstances and last-minute nature of our visit, I thought we would skip The Radisson experience in order to save about $50 a night by staying at the AmericInn. I found some comfort in reminding myself that I had chosen "the budget experience." Much to my shock, the lukewarm email response from AmericInn management stated that the room had been discounted by $75 a night for due to the renovations! There is no way that room was worth $190 a night!

The response also stated "The two room suite has always been set up the same way and will be set the same way after our renovations, I'm not sure how else we could have set the furnishings for you." Ummm, how about just replace the photo with one that is accurate? The response reflected our overall experience: disinterested, unconcerned and a bit confused.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sonotnic
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is going through renovations which it really needs. The room I found the temperature to be too hot so we adjusted the thermostat and it was too cold. Bed was not the most comfortable. The hot breakfast was a dissapointment. Greasy sausage snd eggs. The staff was very friendly.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple