“Good value & family friendly (dogs too)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
“Good value & family friendly (dogs too)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here at least a 25 nights over the last 4 years with very little to complain about. You're only paying around sixty bucks for a room so what do you expect?!?! I understand they're changing out the beds and really look forward to the day when my wife and I can share a queen bed instead of each of sharing a double bed with a child. Double beds are not great for two adults and this is the only hotel I've ever seen this size beds. (Double beds are not great when shared with a child for that matter!!!) Good riddance double beds!!! The wifi not working is a HUGE issue too! A lot of the rooms have a very week signal and even when your closer to the router there isn't enough band width to cover the usage when busy. I've heard multiple excuses on various visits and none of them are acceptable.........hire an i.t. person for a day, buy some routers, upgrade your Internet package.......just please get this fixed!!! I sat by the front desk and witnessed one staff member tell clients there was nothing wrong with the Internet and then she went and reset something in a back room and it was good. (This was the same fix she performed earlier when I asked about it not working.) We really enjoy the pool, breakfast, clean rooms, and location of this hotel and keep coming back because of the very fair price. For the most part the staff is very friendly right down to the loyal maintenance guy coming back looking a bit intoxicated to fix the pool one weekend. lol If you have a coupon make darn sure you present it on check in like the sign says or they won't honor it........I learned that the hard way a few years ago! FIX THE INTERNET PLEASE..........WE DON'T LIVE WITHOUT IT AT HOME AND WHEN IT'S INCLUDED IN A HOTEL ROOM IT'S EXPECTED TO WORK.......EVEN IN THE FAR ROOMS AND ALL THE TIME!!! We look forward to our next stay and hopefully Glenn can promise me Internet so I don't have to run to Starbucks to check my emails?!?!

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Douglas G, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you for reviewing us and letting us know what was going on!! And you are correct! Double beds are definitely a thing of the past as we continue to upgrade our hotel to 2 queens! We have been speaking with another company to see if there is more that they can do to fix the internet issue. As we did add more routers but on busy days it didn't seem to fix the problem. We are glad you let us know and when we see you again we hope that you will be able to see the improvements we made! As for our maintenance man, he can be very tired as he works at other properties as well, so we do keep an eye on him! Thanks again for the input and we look forward to seeing you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

My wife, 2 toddlers and I stayed here last week. It was such a nice, clean and quite stay. The staff was friendly and we were welcomed with smiling faces when we arrived. It was a great stay at a really nice value. We have to be in the area again this week and will stay there again for sure!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Douglas G, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you so much for the review!!! It means so much to all of our staff knowing that all our hard work is paying off!! We can't wait to see you all again! Thanks again!!

-Melissa
-Assistant Manager
WINNIPEG
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

Finding a hotel in Grand Forks can be extremely difficult on most weekends. My husband found us a hot tub suite last weekend at a decent price. The common areas of this hotel are nice and convenient for groups travelling together. The pool and hot tub courtyard area are excellent places to relax and get together. Our room was comfortable but could definitely use upgrading. A queen bed in a hot tub suite does not seem reasonable. It could easily have fit a king bed. The fixtures in the bathroom, as well as the light fixtures are needing repair and replacement. The room actually lacked light. The flatscreen TV is nicely updated, but the sofabed and tables could also be replaced. The Road King Inn includes breakfast and wifi in their pricing which is ideal. The hotel is also in an excellent location for shopping, restaruants and entertainment.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Douglas G, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words! And as always we are in the process of updating our rooms and making them more comfortable for the guest! We sincerely appreciate the feedback and hope to see you soon and see some more of our progress! Thank you!
Minot
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed at the Road King Inn Feb. 2013. On our first night, when we tried to take a shower, the shower would only put out extremely hot water; therefore, we were unable to use it. In addition, the wifi was not working. When I contacted the front desk, they said they were completely booked for the weekend and could not offer us a different room. They told me they would send out maintenance the next day to determine the problem. The following morning I contacted the front desk to let then know we wold appreciate maintenance to come anytime to fix shower. We hung out the " do not disturb sign on knob, to let maid know we did not wish for maid service. That is why I specially called front desk to let them know to send the repair man up to our room. He never even looked at the shower, nor did we receive any message from the front desk. So for three days we were out of a shower and wifi. When I went to check out, the women at desk said I was to pay the price I registered at, no discount for lack of a shower or wifi! I insisted to speak to a manager. They called him. He refused to speak to me and said no discount as well. After 15 more minutes, I finally convinced the woman at desk to call the manager back, as I really wanted to speak to him. They finally called him back and AGAIN, the manager refused to speak to me. I was told that when a lot of people are using their wifi, it does not work and they wold take only 20.00 off a night, off the bill. I have never been so disappointed with the lack of customer service by a hotel. What manager refuses to speak to a customer who remains in control and uses appropriate language? Never will go back there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Douglas G, Front Office Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
I do apologize that you feel that way! Managment is not available on weekends to come in and prefers not to help guests over the phone. The staff we hire are trained to handle most situations before turning to managment. The manager did indeed review the trouble you had and gave you a free night. We do have to look over everything before we can decide how to handle certain situations. The issues have been immediately taken care of as we do take our complaints seriously. We sure hope you try us again in the future so you can see that we do make things right!

Travellers are raving about these Grand Forks hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

Went to Grand Forks in December (why?! It was indeed freezing)! A bunch of old college friends from all over came up for a reunion weekend! Hotels in Grand Forks are ridiculously over priced and we found a great deal on the Road King and we would for sure stay again!

Rooms were big, clean and the staff was overly accommodating! Shuttles to the hockey games and more then willing to get us taxis to and from the hotel!

Only downfall were the small beds. My husband and I couldn't even share a bed! However we had friends with a King room and it looked just fine!

The front desk staff was great as well, I booked for a cheaper price then my friends and they honored my price for all of them as we'll!!! Coffee was always brewing!! What was needed after a reunion weekend! ;)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura F
Douglas G, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
I am so glad to hear you had such a great trip despite our less than welcoming weather!! We have converted a lot of rooms to new queens instead of double beds and are still in the process of doing so. A single king is also a great option for a couple. Thanks again for the kind words and hope to see you again (weather pending) ;)
Manitoba
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

The good: Not a bad hotel from an appearance perspective. Although a bit dated in places, it was clean, and staff were friendly. Glassing in the pool allows kids to scream and holler, but still allows parents to observe them and relax. The big indoor pool area is a nice place to hang out away from your room. Continental breakfast was typical but fine. Room TVs have been replaced with smaller flatscreens.

The bad: Datedness also extended to the smallish and bland bathroom. There was a large unused sapce in the room, which we noticed was occupied by a recliner in other rooms - just not ours. The big hot tub in the pool area was not working properly (though still available for use), and the pool area itself was funky smelling. Plus, I still don't understand why hotels such as this use tiling that becomes extremely slippery when wet. It really is unsafe. The heating units were obviously not installed well either, as we had ice cold drafts blowing in around the unit.

The wretched: This must be the absolute oldest hotel mattress I've slept on in a decade. From the second you lie down, you can HEAR and feel the springs of the mattress dig into you. Really, it was like trying to sleep on a trampoline with my wife. Two things I expect in a hotel are cleanliness, and a decent mattress. This was well beyond poor, to the point where I would only stay here again once the mattresses are replaced.

As a side note, since we didn't have a recliner, we ordered a cot for my youngest so that she wouldn't fight with her sister. Well, the cot was completely depressed in a number of places (WWII surplus?) with broken metal wire supports underneath. Gah!

Room Tip: Book at a different hotel, unless you weigh 90 lbs and can sleep directly on springs.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ScooterMcTavish
Douglas G, General Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thank you for the feedback! We are are in the process of switching out beds and take the information we recieve very seriously! We are now getting ready to order another batch of new beds and hope within the near future you do come back and give us another try! Every review we get we learn from and try to better ourselves in the hopes the guest comes back to see our improvements! Thank you so much and hoping to see you again!
Wpg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

Came to shop. Hotel screwed up our reservation, then wanted us to pay extra to upgrade to an available room? Front desk clerk was snotty and had no customer service skills. Then found the banks wouldn't exchange our Canadian cash and the stores wouldn't take it either. I don't think they want anyone coming here to shop. Sure don't make you feel welcome. Certainly wont bother coming back.

• Stayed December 2012
Roadroyalty, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
I apologize over how everything went for you! I find it strange that banks wouldn't even exchange for you! We have spoken with staff on how to handle situations better and I sure do hope you give us another try in the future so we can show you how we have improved! Thank you for letting us know!