Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Saskatoon, Canada
“Awesome”
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for one night, Sept. 5th, and we were very impressed by the ease of check in, the friendly out going staff. Kelly and her crew were fantastic. So very friendly and helpful. Our room was upgraded to a suite, and was very clean as well as quite. A side note from the hotel, the pizza that is served in the Bistro is some of the best pizza that we have eaten, hands down. An awesome facility, awesome staff, and a great price. I certainly recommend this hotel.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you so nuch for your kind words about our property. We have brought forward some additional training across the hotel to ensure guests have a pleasant experience at our property. We look forward to serving your family again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Check in was quick with an unfriendly clerk who seemed to rather be anywhere else than there. She was the most unfriendly from all the other 3 hotels we stayed this week. We got to our room, and there was a big wet spot on the carpet. Who knows what it was, but we just stayed and isn't complain as we were tired after driving all day. The carpets in the room were FILTHY. I thought my oldest had not changed his socks that day as they were black and was about to give him a lecture, but my husband said his were the same and it was the carpet. When I showered in the morning, the water was black from my feet! I was disgusted.
The water park was crowded and very loud, to be expected on a Saturday night. The room temperature could not be regulated at all, and we all sweated through the night. We had a TravelZoo voucher, so that included pizza and arcade tokens. My oldest had fun with the games, and they all had greasy pizza for supper. I went to Target and got healthy stuff for me. I have one more voucher to use and if the room conditions are the same, I doubt we'll be back. Check out was very good, and the clerk was 100% better that the checking in clerk. I really don't know if management understands how important it is to encourage staff to treat clients with a smile and kindness. Front-desk treatment really leaves a lasting impression.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank hopeforsun
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We strive to offer the finest in accommodations, food and beverage, entertainment and more. We are pleased that we were able to live up to our promise in some aspects of your stay. Your comments where you feel we let you down concern us and have been brought to the attention of our department managers. I hope you choose to redeem your voucher. I would ask that you contact me personally so that we can deliver an experience similar to your last review of our property entitled “Great Stay” posted July 30th 2012. Our family looks forward to serving your family again. krobson@canadinns.com

Travellers are raving about these Grand Forks hotels

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Went a week ago with family 4 adults 2 kids.
First no trollies were available upon arrival with no line at front desk to Check in. When I asked the front desk for a trolly they said I had to go looking around the hotel for one.
Had the 2 bedroom penthouse main floor suite. Nothing penthouse about it.
We were told the room had a full size fridge and a microwave so like a kitchenette. Had a mini fridge that barely worked.

Went to give my 2 year old a bath and the bath was stained and filthy with hairs everywhere etc. so I went to the front desk and asked for the manager... She was not overly apologetic and said she would send the house keeping manager to assess the situation and would have it cleaned after he already offered to move us to a different room and then Realized she couldn't put us in another room that was similar. The housekeeping staff came (not the housekeeping manager) and couldn't speak English and proceeded to change the bedding after not knowing where the bath tub was. It took me about ten minutes to get them to understand my issue.

The tv didn't work had to wait for maintenance to come and fix it.
Cable was fuzzy once it worked.

They offered a breakfast special that was no longer available in the restaurant; the food is over priced. And the buffet wasnt avail. for most meals.
We could not connect to the Internet for more than 5 mins if we could connect at all.

I would not stay they again overpriced, and no customer service. Disappointed

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank BJwpg
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. Delivering an exceptional guest experience is the focus of all our employees. We are pleased that our staff members attempted to remedy your concerns but are disappointed that we did not do it in the best possible manner. We have dedicated ourselves toward improving our customer service and improving the additional areas you address in your review. I hope you decide to give us another opportunity to serve you. Please feel free to contact us me at krobson@canadinns.com should you choose to return.
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed at the CanadInn Grand Forks August 1st for one night - they offer a Thrifty Thursday rate which I see has gone up to $99 (used to be $89). The hotel is beautiful but of course it's newer than many others in Grand Forks. The rooms are nicely decorated & clean. This is our 3rd time staying here.

One strange thing I will note about the room, specifically the bathroom is that the toilet paper is kind of far reach from the toilet. This may seem like an odd thing to comment on but for anyone who has any kind of mobility issues would find this a problem - grab your toilet paper before you sit down. No bed bugs here - I wish people would stop being so ridiculous about bed bugs in hotels - if there were bed bugs in a hotel, the health department would shut them down until the issue was resolved- which is who these people should be complaining to if they have a legitimate complaint.

The waterpark is NOT included in your room rate unless you specifically choose a package that includes it. This of course adds to the cost of your hotel bill. You can use the pool & hot tub at no charge but the waterpark itself is extra. We got the reduced rate for $7 after 6pm but it can be up to $16 per day if you're there for the day - fairly pricey if you have a couple of kids.

No comp breakfast here due to the restaurant on site. That's ok though - the food is terrible here as it is in all Canad Inns. I'm not sure what the issue is for such a large chain but the food stinks, both here & north of the border. My advice is to eat elsewhere. They do have a cheap breakfast during the week.

Otherwise, check in was quick & smooth, checkout was charge our credit card as requested and my only beef with the checkout process is they have 4 luggage carts for the entire hotel which is 10 stories - not nearly enough.

The customer service is top notch here. The GM is walking around daily interacting with guests - nice touch. The front desk staff is excellent & the housekeeping staff is friendly & accommodating. We will definately return but probably on a Thursday - the rates are just too high with the addition of food & waterpark on other days.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your positive review of our property. We greatly appreciate your loyalty to our property and your positive comments. If you are not a member of our loyalty point program, please contact us so that you can begin to earn rewards across our chain. We hope to see you again soon and please let me know if I can be of service in the future. krobson@canadinns.com
Bemidji, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed for one night August 2nd meeting up with friends and chose this hotel. It is our second time staying at this location. A great location right on interstate and attached to the Alerus Center. We booked ahead of time on-line and check-in was smooth and trouble free. They had everything ready and waiting for our arrival, I think we were at the front desk for no more than 5 minutes.

We were in a two bedroom suite with two bathrooms with two showers. The main common area had a large living room with a sofa that could also be turned into a bed if needed. There was a nice fireplace, flat screen televisions, wireless internet, and a wet bar that had a fridge, sink, microwave, coffee pot and lots of storage and counter space.

The room was very quiet, clean and cozy. The beds and bedding were great.

We did have a problem that the lights above the wet bar did not come on, we informed the front desk and the problem was taken care of immediately.

We had a nice quiet dinner at the L'Bistro, had a great server that guided us to some very nice selections. One of our friends requested a change on their item which the kitchen accommodated with no problem. The food was great and I am going back for more some day.

We did not try out the water park, but the number of excited kids indicates that this is a hit.

If booking would suggest doing so as far in advance as you can, this is a busy hotel that gets sold out most weekends. While using the internet to check out the place is great, I would suggest calling if you would like to confirm a certain room type, location, view, and so forth.

When the opportunity arises we will be booking here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments. I am very glad you enjoyed your time at our property and hope to see you back with us again soon.
Reviewed 4 August 2013

On a recent road trip, we stayed at several different hotels ending at the Canad Inn in Grand Forks. At the check-in counter, the clerk tried to be helpful, however, he took no less than 3 phone calls ranging from booking an entire reservation to calls from other staff. I did note the reservation he made was for a family of 3 in a room with two beds and he confirmed the price with the caller of $79. When he hung up, I told him I wanted the same in a joking manner. The clerk hesitated, seemed he was thinking up an excuse, and then advised that it was a special group rate that didn't apply to me and that I could not receive the same rate. When I questioned if they offered a Government discount rate, he said yes and asked for ID. When I showed it to him, I was advised they don't give discounts to Canadian government employees (WOW) Every other hotel along the way was more than happy to offer a discount based on my Canadian Government ID. The room was average at best. It was clean, but nothing special. The remote control for the TV worked when it wanted to and didn't work most of the time. The black electrical tape on the battery cover should have been a hint. Attempts at room service at 10pm were futile as there was simply no answer to phone calls to both Alto's and Garbonzo's...both of which are restaurants in the complex. A trip down to Tavern United for some wings to bring back to the room was also useless as I was told I could not have them to go. THE SHOWER...the excuse for a shower. This has to be the worst shower I've experienced, I think, ever! Water pressure is non existent. It was more like standing in a light drizzle. Even my 11year old commented that they must have used all the water pressure for the water park. Overall, would never stay here again as I think there is very little value for the money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
I apologize that the agent at the desk was distracted by phone calls during the check in process. We are hopeful that situation will resolve itself in the very near future. I am familiar with the rate you quote in your comments. That rate was granted to a long term stay family that has been with us since June after circumstances forced them out of their home during renovations. We do honor government rates for both US and Canadian officials when travelling to Grand Forks on official governement business and when the government entity is reimbusing the cost of the room. We do not grant government rates for leisure travel. Our state law is very clear about state employees using their position within government to influence or obtain discounted rates. I am unaware if similar legislation exists in Canada. There is a control near the shower faucet in all our rooms that increases the water pressure. It is likely that the control was turned all the way down during your stay. It can be turned up or down by the guest. We have had a number of discussion about the feasibilty of removing that feature in the guest rooms. I am surprised Tavern United would not offer you your food to go. I will follow up and see that the appropriate staff member is trained correctly by his/her venue manager.
Thanks again for your review and should you choose to return to our property, I would be more than pleased to make sure all your needs are met. krobson@canadinns.com.
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My Family Stayed for 2 nights at the end of July and on the second night something bit me. I wasn't overly concerned but when we got home I took the precautions in case they were bed bug bites and its a good thing I did because I gave my daughter a bath as soon as we got home and she had 3 bites just like mine. I emailed the manager but never received a response which doesn't surprise me. The management seem like they don't care about the customers..I had problems with my room key 3 times and they never said sorry or anything...they never even asked how my stay was at checking out. The only good thing was the water park..the kids loved it...we will not be staying here again, we will just go to the C'om on Inn and just visit the water park next time. For the price they charge you would think Canad inns would treat their customer a little better...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marqala
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Margala

I want to start off by apologizing that you felt you were not heard when you let us know about your situation. We received your email on Friday and immediately started to investigate on your behalf. We take any claims that there may be a pest problem in our rooms very, very seriously and therefore we asked to have the room looked at by a certified pest inspector. As you can imagine that inspection takes time to arrange and carry through and this is what the delay was in replying to you. In retrospect we should have replied to you immediately and detailed for you just how seriously we were taking your email as well as what steps we were taking to verify that our rooms do not have bed bugs.
I have spoken with the front desk and asked how we handle keys not working for rooms, it is an unfortunate side effect with the technology that it sometimes does not work properly but we can certainly make the process of sorting out the problem much easier for you, we have coached our front desk associates on these steps and I hope that from now on any such challenges will be met with a much more personable approach. Much the same can be said for not asking how your stay was when you checked out and we have addressed that with our desk as well.
I am happy to hear your children enjoyed our waterpark, we are quite proud of it and the joy that it brings to many families while they stay with us.
I want to thank you for your feedback, we continually strive to better our customer service and you have pointed out areas that we will definitely work on.
If you wish to speak to me directly concerning this or any other issues please contact me at krobson@canadinns.com