“Fun for a quick road trip!”

Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Every summer, my granddaughter and I take a two day road trip from Winnipeg to Grand Forks. Our main purpose is shopping, but we also get our nails done, eat breakfast at IHOP, and enjoy the slides and pools at CanadInn. She LOVES the slides, I just keep to the pools and hot tub. It's fun! We get a double room with two big beds. She feels like we're living in luxury. The luxury for me is spending my time with her. This hotel is totally convenient to all the stores we love: Kohls, Target, Bed Bath & Home, and the mall (for Penney's). IHOP is also close, as are lots of other restaurants. The food at the hotel is not that great, but there are choices for families with bunches of children. Also, I find the pool are VERY loud and saturated with chlorine, which, I suppose, is better than worrying about cleanliness. But my eyes do sting and my skin does smell after not too long a time in the water. However, we still return to the same place and will do so again next summer (it will be our 4th time). The staff there is very nice and accommodating. They got us a room even when there were none available on line. And last year we didn't use two of the bracelets that let you onto the water slides. They told us to save them until this year and they would still be good. They were! The most amazing part of that is that we found them after a whole year! As long as I make this road trip with my granddaughter, this is the place we'll stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Your review is so delightful to read on so many levels. We are so fortunate that our property can be a part of such a wonderful memory for you and your granddaughter. Reviews like yours are the reason so many people at our property love coming to work everyday.
Please let us know in advance if you plan on returning. Our family would love to make sure we serve your family again in the best possible manner.
Once again, Thank You very much for being our guest!!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

It had been a while since we stayed at this hotel and not much has changed. The rooms are decent and the water park is fun but there is a real lack of staff. When we were getting ready for bed, we noticed that there was something crusty stuck to the comforter. A call to the front desk brought housekeeping to change out the entire bedding. They were friendly and fast. This hotel sees a lot of traffic and was booked up for the Canadian thanksgiving weekend. As such, the rooms are getting a little beat up and could use a good cleaning and there were generous black stains on the carpet. The front desk was constantly lined up as the 2-3 employees were dealing with questions or phone calls. The restaurant (Altos) appeared to only have one serving staff while the other was prepping the buffet area. There was a sign saying that it was a 10 minute wait for breakfast but there were very few people in the restaurant at that time. This also seemed to be a complaint of another patron who told the Asst Manager that there was only one server the night before in the Tavern and they had a large party. Be prepared to wait quite a while for the elevator. If you walk down the main hallway by the sports bar, there is another elevator there which will be a lot faster to get to your room. If you have young children, then the water park is a fun time. The rates are quite high for this hotel but you pay for the convenience of the waterpark. You could always stay at another hotel and just pay to use the waterpark if that is what you are interested in.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thanks very much for your review of our property. We have been working hard to keep our hotel up to the very high standards we set for ourselves. We have been repainting, deep cleaning, and doing everything we can to make our very busy property the finest in accommodations in our region. We greatly appreciate you letting us know during your stay of the housekeeping issue so we could immediately correct it. We hope to have you back again.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Our family stayed for one night, our 3 yr old really enjoyed the pool (Would be nice if it was open a little later) But we had lots of fun, stayed in a theme room, which was VERY nice with kids for the bunk beds! Will be back!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Hi Shawna,

Thanks very much for your positive review of our property. Please let me know when you plan to return so we can make sure to provide another positive experience. Please feel free to email us at cidcgfsales@canadinns.com.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Attended an industry trade show at the Alerus Center and naturally opted for the Canad Inn. I noted some negative reviews here before I arrived, so there was a little trepidation that proved to be unfounded, at least for me. The reception staff was friendly and efficient, the room was sizable and modern with the usual amenities. While not outstanding in any way...at under $100 per night I beleive it is an exceptional value.

The breakfast buffet was confusing as some of the area was blocked off for no apparent reason and the food was unremarkable. Service was good, though somewhat harried as they were "slammed" when I showed up. Check out was fast and crisp. If convenience to the Alerus Center is paramount, this is the place. At under $100/night I will happily return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for your positive review of our property. We enjoyed having your conference in Grand Forks and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

The rooms are average typical rooms. The bathroom had pink mildew by the tub and several patches in the shower wall. The food in the cafe was over priced and terrible. Don't expect hashbrowns with breakfast or good food off the menu. The front desk was friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our friendly front desk staff. Your review of the restaurant concerns us. We attempt to offer the finest in all areas of our property including food and beverage. We apologize that on this visit one of our venues did not measure up. We will work to improve for your next visit.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night, Sept. 5th, and we were very impressed by the ease of check in, the friendly out going staff. Kelly and her crew were fantastic. So very friendly and helpful. Our room was upgraded to a suite, and was very clean as well as quite. A side note from the hotel, the pizza that is served in the Bistro is some of the best pizza that we have eaten, hands down. An awesome facility, awesome staff, and a great price. I certainly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you so nuch for your kind words about our property. We have brought forward some additional training across the hotel to ensure guests have a pleasant experience at our property. We look forward to serving your family again.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Check in was quick with an unfriendly clerk who seemed to rather be anywhere else than there. She was the most unfriendly from all the other 3 hotels we stayed this week. We got to our room, and there was a big wet spot on the carpet. Who knows what it was, but we just stayed and isn't complain as we were tired after driving all day. The carpets in the room were FILTHY. I thought my oldest had not changed his socks that day as they were black and was about to give him a lecture, but my husband said his were the same and it was the carpet. When I showered in the morning, the water was black from my feet! I was disgusted.
The water park was crowded and very loud, to be expected on a Saturday night. The room temperature could not be regulated at all, and we all sweated through the night. We had a TravelZoo voucher, so that included pizza and arcade tokens. My oldest had fun with the games, and they all had greasy pizza for supper. I went to Target and got healthy stuff for me. I have one more voucher to use and if the room conditions are the same, I doubt we'll be back. Check out was very good, and the clerk was 100% better that the checking in clerk. I really don't know if management understands how important it is to encourage staff to treat clients with a smile and kindness. Front-desk treatment really leaves a lasting impression.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank hopeforsun
Kevin R, Director of Sales at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We strive to offer the finest in accommodations, food and beverage, entertainment and more. We are pleased that we were able to live up to our promise in some aspects of your stay. Your comments where you feel we let you down concern us and have been brought to the attention of our department managers. I hope you choose to redeem your voucher. I would ask that you contact me personally so that we can deliver an experience similar to your last review of our property entitled “Great Stay” posted July 30th 2012. Our family looks forward to serving your family again. krobson@canadinns.com