“Great Summer Time Package” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great Summer Time Package”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Just returned from a quick overnighter at the CanadInn Grand Forks. We purchased the Summer special for $119 + taxes including room, 4 waterpark passes, large pizza & pitcher of pop. The rates even included the kids theme rooms.

We stayed in the princess themed room #204. The room comes with a queen size bed & 2 sets of bunk beds in a seperate painted theme room. The kids room has a small 20" TV with a video game console but no video games - maybe you can rent them no sure - other wise it would be of no use unless you brought your own. The TV cannot be viewed by the kids in the lower bunk due to the angle of the LCD so if they are watching cartoons or a tv show, they have to on the top bunk. Otherwise the room is decorated nicely and the kids will love it feeling special in their own room.

If I had anything negative to say about the location of the room is that it is close to the elevator and right across from the vending machines which could be noisy depending on how busy either of them are however with the kids being closed in by walls and the queen bed on the furthest side away from the hallway door you should be fine unless you are an extremely light sleeper.

The room was clean but felt very cramped with the extra enclosed kids bedroom area. Our window over looked the inside of the hotel so we also found the room very dark. The queen bed was comfy with an assortment of pillows. The bunk beds had an average mattress on them which was ok for kids but not so much for adults.

The water park is fantastic as always and being able to visit during the week was an added bonus, there were proabaly only a dozen people using the park last night. The downside is it doesn't open until 4 & closes at 9 so depending on what you do, you may need to manage your time. We spent some time at the water park, went to the room & had dinner & a rest and went back down only to find out we only had an hour left. My fault for not checking the time but what hotel pool closes at 9pm - especially one that normally charges hotel guests $12 per person for using the pool. The pool & hot tub also close down at 9 - much too early. I will say however that the staff are fantastic at the waterpark. They do a great job of controlling chaos and making sure everyone is safe & following the rules. They are trained well & it shows. They are professional in every aspect and as a parent of a young child I appreciate that they keep the area safe for my little one.

We had a pizza from Garbonzos which was included. I wasn't expected much but it was really quite good. My only issue is that you can only order one topping; cheese, pepperoni or sausage. So I asked if I could pay for toppings - sure $1.50 each. No problem - so the problem now comes where I order a half & half pizza...all mushroom, bacon & pineapple on one side, green pepper & tomato on the other side - they charge me $1.50 for every topping. So I said, if I had the bacon on the whole pizza you would charge me $1.50 but since I only want it on half you are still charging me $1.50 plus another $1.50 for the topping on the other side - yes they say. Ok then...so my free pizza cost me over $8.00...not such a great deal after all.

All in all a great overnight trip at a great price. The deadline for booking the special is over but watch out for it next spring - well worth it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kevin R, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
We are glad you enjoyed your visit to our property and saw a value in our promotion. We will continue to offer these types of promotions and do all we can to improve the amenities of the hotel. We have plans in place to make noticeable changes to many areas of the hotel so that we live up to our destination center concept.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The rating given for the Grand Forks Canad Inn really depends on whether you are a kid or parent and what price you can get a room for. We have stayed here probably 4 time in the last few years.

The water park is fantastic. My kids always ask to go back there. There are area where smaller children can play and the dry exit water slides are very safe for young kids. All the kids love the bucket dumping water and the tube slide is great as well. It is very loud in there but the temperature is very comfortable. The lifeguards are also very good.You do pay extra for the water park, although less as a hotel quest or you can just use the hot tub and pool as a guest for free but the kids will not thank you for that!

The rooms are nice and the beds are comfortable. You get a fridge and microwave which you do not always get in a hotel with restaurants. Service is ok. You wait too long for the elevators and the often advertised a breakfast special that is seemingly forever in blackout days. (I think now it may just be a buffet) Breakfast is not included with a room.

The rates for this hotel are quite expensive usually. If you keep looking a find a real deal then I think this property offers great value especially for the kids, but otherwise I would not pay the full rate. It has lots of options, restaurants, arcade, pizza... is attached to Alerus and has nice comfortable rooms.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Kevin R, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thanks for the positive words about our property. We are always trying to improve our service levels and offer as much value as possible. We hope you find another opportunity to come see us again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at the Canad Inns Destination Centre Grand Forks for my daughter's birthday and the kids had a great time!!The kids(between the ages of 7-12) really enjoyed the lazy river and tubing the water slide that is like a big bowl in which you go round and round(toilet bowl) before being discharged at the bottom.
The rooms were clean and accomodated very well( two king rooms, 7 people). The rooms have flat screens with HDMI hookups in the back which allowed for movies for the kids.
Location was great as everything in Grand Forks is only 10 minutes away max. Room pricing was fair as well. I would deffinitely recommend this hotel as it does offer alot for the kids with the water park. I think it is suited better for the younger age between 2-15 with what it offers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks very much for the kid words. We especially enjoy hearing positive reviews from folks travelling with children. We try to be a family friendly destination where kids can have a ball. We are very pleased your daughter and friends had a great time. Please come back and see us again
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Egyptian theme room for our 1 year anniversary for 1 night. It's a spacious room with a comfy king bed, and a HUGE Jacuzzi.
We loved the waterpark and the restaurants aren't bad at all. The pub has Canadian beers on tap as well which was great for us. The location isn't too bad, we got turned around once or twice, but found our way to I-Hop & the mall.
The value of the theme room was great compared to most theme rooms in bigger cities.
The pizza isn't great - but it was included in the package we got, as well as wristbands for the water park. We paid about $170 USD for our package and were happy with the value.
The staff at the front desk was extremely helpful & supremely friendly! (very Canadian of them - ha!)

Room Tip: Splurge for a theme room! Great Jacuzzi & spacious!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words about our property. We are always looking for ways to provide value and a positive guest experience. We hope you come back and see us soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was expecting to have fun, but we had a total blast!! The lazy river was my daughter's favorite. She, and we, loved all the waterslides. The tube water slide for two people was awesome!! She never wanted to leave!

We also ordered food around the waterslides to munch on, and you can order beer as well, which was nice for us parents.

The pizza place was also inexpensive and delicious! You don't really have to leave this hotel for anything if you didn't want too.

The only thing that was a bit difficult was the one night we were there on a weekend. It is EXTREMELY loud inside the water park. they could really use some type of insulation to cut back on sound. When the park is packed, kids are (obviously) loud, but they also play very loud music. I would say if you have a child that has an issue with loud sounds, do not take them here on a weekend. We did one night weekend, and one night Sunday night. The Sunday was perfect and no issues with sound. It was cut back to about a 1/4 of the people from Saturday night.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Vacay0112
Kevin R, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thanks very much for the kind words. It means so much to our staff that you took the time to provide your positive feedback. Please come back and see us again
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Against my better judgement, we stayed at the hotel again. We stayed here about 6 months ago and didn't have a great experience. Same problems second time around. We came down with another family and booked adjoining rooms. But our room wasn't ready at check in. An hour later still not ready. Eventually, we were asked to accept another room. So our kids were disappointed.

Last time we were here, one of the elevators was broken. Well this time, the other elevator was broken. It was challenging to go up and down 6 flight of stairs with toddlers!

The hotel room is not cheap and it's disappointing that hotel guests have to pay for the waterpark on top of the room rate. Even worse, paying for passes when the slides are broken! Because we paid for ours in a package deal, they wouldn't refund our money!

My overall experience was not positive and I was very disappointed that the management team did very little to turn the situation around.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mom-3-boys185
Kevin R, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
I apologize for our elevator issues this weekend. We have a service agreement with a local company and they attempted to get them in working order earlier this week. I am sorry one of the 3 elevators was out of service.
I would like to follow up on the other points you addressed if you are willing. Please email me at krobson@canadinns.com.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

We have stayed at the Canad Inns in Grand Forks many times, and have never been disappointed. We try to make weekend trips down from Winnipeg at least 4 or 5 times a year and always stay here. We have stayed in all types of rooms, standard, king suite and kid's theme. The rooms have always been clean and comfortable regardless of the time of our stay. We usually try to book the kid's theme suite as our 2 boys like the bunk beds and love the idea of having their own "bedroom with a TV".
The facilities on site are fantastic. The waterpark is definitely worth doing if you are staying with children. The "toilet bowl" tube ride is a favorite. It is really nice to see a hotel staff their swimming area with real lifeguards. I have seen them respond to first aid calls and they always maintain a safe environment, and keep bad behavior at bay. A plus in this parents view.
The restaurants on site are convenient and offer a great selection from breakfast to pub food to Italian at l'Bistro (mom and dad's favorite). We also take advantage of the $11.99 pizza deal and have it delivered to our room. Nice easy meal and the kids love it.
Service at the Canad Inns is excellent. From the front desk check-in, which is prompt and friendly, to the cleaning staff, who you actually see cleaning rooms and hallways (I don't often see this at other hotels). Everyone says "hi" to you and does what they can to help.
This stay however, the staff went above and beyond. We had arrived late Friday afternoon. My wife left with our vehicle for a couple hours of mommy shopping time. The kids were excited to hit the waterpark. Then disaster! We had forgotten to pack a swim suit for my youngest. I could not reach my wife to return with our vehicle. We went to the front desk, explained our dilemma and asked for the quickest way to get to a local retailer to buy a new swim suit. Turns out the fastest way was the hotel airport shuttle service. The manager (Hari) quickly approved the trip and Jaci had us on our way. She was fantastic. She drove us to the retailer (right to the door delivery I might add), waited for us and quickly had us back at the hotel. Total time from discovery of the disaster to swimming...about 45 minutes. Fantastic service! Jaci and Hari truly saved the day for this desperate dad.
All and all, I can't really say how pleased we have always been with our stays at the Canad Inns Grand Forks. We have stayed in many hotels, Resorts and B&Bs in Canada, the US, Mexico and Europe, and can truly say that the stays at this hotel are second to none.

Room Tip: If you are staying with smaller children, try to get a kid's them suite on the waterpark side...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kevin R, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Reviews and experiences like yours is the reason many of us choose this profession. It is so satisfying for our staff to know that when they go the extra mile it is appreciated. Your review has been forwarded to the highest level of our company and on their behalf, I can express to you their appreciation for your kind words. Hari and Jaci have been rewarded for their efforts. Their ability to go the extra mile for you was the result of many other departments in the hotel having been prepared for a busy Friday check in. All the members of our family who contributed to your family's positive experience have been acknowledged. We will continue to do all we can to extend those extras to all our guests. Once again thank you and please let me know if you have plans to come back to Grand Forks.