“Check For Promotional Deals”

Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Grand Forks, North Dakota
“Check For Promotional Deals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My daughter checked for a promotional deal at TravelZoo after the reservation staff told her about the promotion, so my first suggestion is to look for promotional deals. She figures that she saved over $100 with the promotional package. She took her niece and nephew to stay over for two nights and especially for the water park which the kids had enjoyed before. The package included the hotel room for two nights, the water park for two days, free pizza (good pizza) and 2 liters of soda each day, plus lots of arcade tokens. I came to visit them while they were there. The first evening there, the kids played arcade games, ate their pizza and fell asleep. The next day the kids played in the water park for FOUR hours in the morning, up and down the slides, swimming in the pools, and taking a short break on the lazy river. They adored going down the large slide and "toilet bowl" -- I'm not certain if that's what it is really called, but that's what the kids called it -- with an adult. They ate their pizza which was delivered via room service, took and hour long nap, and then went back to the water park for another 3 hours. After dinner, they played arcade games. The staff in the pool and the arcade / pizza place were AWESOME ... so polite, helpful, and the life guards were kind in their reminders. My daughter and grandkids loved it, and I will consider having the grandkids stay there again.

Room Tip: When you get into the room, check EVERYTHING before unpacking ... the air conditioning, the shower...
2 Thank Rita F
Kevin R, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thanks very much for you review of our property. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and see us again. We will continue to upgrade our amenities in the waterpark and guest rooms. We are excited about our upgrade to PS4's in all our family rooms on the 2nd floor. We will continue to try and offer a complete destination center for all your family's entertainment needs.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
WPG, MB
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I purposely waited a couple days before writing this review just to give myself some time to look back to make sure I gave Canad Inns a fair shake. I’ve come to the conclusion that this place is totally not worth the money and I got a pretty good deal!!! We drove down from Winnipeg in the morning with the plan to stop for lunch once we got into Grand Forks and then give the hotel a call just to see if our room might be ready…all went well until we tried to call the hotel, can’t be done! I tried, my wife tried and nothing, you either get transferred to the ‘booking center’ that takes care of all the Canad Inn hotels or you get a line that just rings and rings and rings. We took the chance and drove to the hotel an hour before check in and thankfully yes, our room was ready.

We reserved a Kids Theme Suite and were checked into the “Finding Nemo” room, not a bad little set up, kind of tight for space as they essentially just framed in a couple bunk beds and a TV stand where the first double bed would be in a normal room. The first thing we noticed as soon as we opened the door besides there was no toilet paper was the humidity. Wow was it hot in there, I walked over to crank the AC unit by the window to notice that we were overlooking the water park so that explained why it was soo hot. Our kids loved the room and the fact that they had their own little room so we decided to keep the room despite the humidity and just have the AC running the whole time. While setting up the kids beds we noticed that with the door shut to their little room there is zero air flow. We noticed a switch on the outside wall, we flicked it on and wham, this extremely load fan turns on. This fan is the only way air gets into the room when the door is closed so it needs to be on for colder air for your kids but good luck sleeping on the bed right underneath it.

We quickly get changed to hit the ware park as the package we purchased had 4 passes for each day of our stay, after spending a couple hours there we came back up to the room and it was nice and cold so no more complaints about the humidity, we shower and change and decide just to eat at the hotel as they have a couple options for food, we ended up deciding on the Italian place as Monday was ½ price pizza and ½ price kids meals…perfect. All was good until we decide to go to bed, with kids tucked away in their room and my wife and I tired after a day of travel and swimming it’s bed time but we can’t sleep, every 20 mins or so the compressor on the AC unit clicks on and then a couple minutes later it clicks off. Now these aren’t your normal clicks, these were load, make you jump clicks, like someone had kicked in your door or smashed your window clicks. With the kids sound asleep we tough it out and at 6am my wife goes down to talk to the front desk, they say they will have someone come look at it. At 9am we decide to go out for breakfast so I stop by the front desk to inquire again, while I’m standing there I see on a scrap piece of paper some writing…it says AC and then my room number so 3 hours have gone by and nothing has been done. I tell the front deck ‘supervisor’ Travis we’re leaving and will be back in a couple hours and he says again someone will come and look at it but I don’t even think looked up at me once, customer service from a supervisor at its best.

We come back after 1pm, I stop by the front desk again and still no one has come by so they radio maintenance and a guy is in my room before we can get up the overly slow elevators, Pat from maintenance is a very nice man and aggress with us, the compressor is making a very load clicking sound and he’ll have to take the whole thing apart, they tell us they will just move us but the room they are moving us into is not ready so we’ll have to wait so they want us to pack up our stuff and wait till the room across the hall is cleaned, so we do. What makes this whole process even worse is that the family that had booked the room we were waiting to get moved into was sitting in the lobby with their kids, very poor planning on the hotels side. 3:30 pm rolls around and finally the new room is ready so we move everything across the hall and then watch as 2 maintenance guys and 3 maids go into the our old room and get busy. The AC in our new ‘Penguins’ room was fine, the door was missing to the kids room which meant we didn’t have to have that silly fan going all night which was a plus. We just went for dinner, went to bed and checked out as soon as we could the next morning.

All in all this trip had it’s good and it’s bad, it is unfortunate the bad totally outweighed the good.
Quick Hits Pros:
- Water Park is great, our kids loved it.
- Eating at the hotel if something in on ‘special’ is cheap

Quick Hits Cons:
- Everything seemed overpriced, they draw families there with the water park and then milk them on everything else.
- Rooms are very dated and the showers are terrible.
- Rooms overlooking the water park are very humid.
- Elevators are really, really slow.
- Customer service, or should I say lack thereof. Terrible.

Feel free to contact me with any questions if you plan on staying there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for your review of our property. We will address the items with which you had issue and we appreciate your comments on those items you found acceptable. Despite the title of your review, we hope you change your mind and decide to come back and see us again. We are constantly working to improve.

Travellers are raving about these Grand Forks hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Found this hotel way down the list on trip advisor. Stayed here only because of the water park, which the kids liked. They charge you extra for the park, You can use the main pool as a hotel guest but not the slides unless you pay extra. We bought a package for $159 which included one day at the water park. You really only need a few hours because there are really only three slides, built for smaller kids which worked for us, but if I had older kids they would have been bored in a short time.

The hotel did provide coupons for a breakfast discount but that would have added another $30 - $40 to our bill. We chose to walk to the Tim Hortons across the road and bring back breakfast.

When checking out I noticed a sign that said they were taking Canadian money at par if you paid in cash. Luckily I saw the sign because this was not pointed out to me when we checked in. That saved us over $35.

The staff at the desk were friendly and helpful. They moved us when we found the TV in our initial room was making funny sounds. They brought the keys up to us and moved us to a room next so it was not too inconvenient.

My only other complaint was that the elevators were really really slow. With only two elevators to service the hotel we were either waiting a long time, or did the milk run every time we got on.

I do not think I would stay again unless they dropped the price, included the pool passes, and/or breakfast. With little kids the breakfast included feature that other hotels offer is just to good to pass up. I liked the water park for the kids. That would be the only reason I would return.

Room Tip: Pick a low floor because the elevators are really slow.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review of our property. I am very pleased that you found our staff helpful and pleasant. We are continuing to accept Canadian currency at par toward the purchase of hotel rooms in August. I hope you find time to take advantage of that promotion again.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times, mainly for the water park for the kids. It is convenient, and we booked the water park special, which includes 4 passes to the water park. Overall, this hotel is OK. I do wish they would offer a breakfast with the room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks very much for your review of our hotel. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us. I hope you find an opportunity to come back and see us again.
Headingley, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

If you want to spend WAY too much money and be talked down to this is the hotel for you. Under staffed all the time, very hot rooms, crowded in the waterpark. Even the staff taking the reservation are rude.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 106jack
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here when our flight was delayed due to storms (for three days!) so we ended up stranded at the hotel - which was a quick, convenient shuttle from the airport. We were for the most part happy with our stay and everyone was very friendly. The room was the best part, with a great bathroom (although we were in the accessible room so perhaps the bathroom was larger). The room service was a little hit or miss (stay away from the chicken teriyaki noodles, but the breakfast is great) and the bed was on the soft side for our preference (and our backs). Also, though I'm not sure the hotel can be blamed, the vending machine candy was extremely old and expired - so buy at your own risk. You'll have better luck buying candy down at the front desk. Our only regret is not getting to try the indoor water park, if we ever end up back in Grand Forks we would happily stay here again.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank LJane415
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My family stays here every once in a while only because of the water park here, last time we stayed here was last week. The water slide was great, but there was only one, I understand it was a hotel and one waterslide is very good considering, but we did not like the lazy river, not only was it crowded in there, all the kids were pushing and splashing. I understand that's not the fault of the hotel. In our room, the bedspread smelled terrible and the pillows were very uncomfortable, there were also lots of flies in the room, but we didn't mind too much, we came for the water park after all.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family