“High expectations, "Okay" Food”
Review of The Toasted Frog

The Toasted Frog
Ranked #2 of 168 Restaurants in Grand Forks
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We'd read many positive reviews for the Toasted Frog which is why we agreed to wait about an hour to be seated. I had two Martinis, the first had barely any alcohol in it, but the second more than made up for it. I ordered the Mahi Mahi and found it somewhat dry and overcooked. My side of green beans on the other hand were barely warm and still crunchy. The wasabi mashed potatoes were great though! My partner had the philly cheese steak sandwich and said it was average. Our server seemed unsure of the specials and we had to wait awhile for our check, but that's understandable during a busy dinner service.

The best part of the whole experience was sitting at the back bar and having the privilege of watching the cooks in the kitchen. The food may not have been as good as we were hoping, but all staff were hustling and it was a pleasure to watch. The atmosphere was lovely as well. All in all, I'd be willing to try them again next time I'm in Grand Forks to see if maybe we were there on an off night.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have eaten at the Toasted Frog in Grand Forks two times and have enjoyed both visits greatly. Please note that you will need to be prepared to wait as the restaurant is smaller, but there is a spacious bar next door for a pre-meal drink. The food is well-prepared and excellent. Definitely try to the Wasabi Mashed Potatoes along with the Filet Mignon. It will be the best you will find in Grand Forks.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Holiday weekend, Friday nite. 3 Diners, myself, a pickey eater, and an adventurer. This is a great place. It's noisy but that just adds to the feeling that you're in the right location! Although they were full, we only waited maybe 10 minutes and got to a table. First the bar. UPSCALE feel, nice gal behind the bar. To me there's way to many wine choices today, so when I'm waiting at the bar, I ask the tender to give me a glass of the deepest, darkest red they have open. Sometimes the tender goes into all sorts of questions trying to narrow down my tastes and what I would like. HEY by saying surprise me with your deepest darkest red, I feel I've given them all the info they need to know. This person gave me a smile and a nod and took the rest of the groups order! BIG POINTS! Drinks came quickly, 2 sips from the wine glass and our table was ready.

Nice 4 top by a west window. They have sun dimming shades that were fully drawn, excellent, no bright glare as the sun was going down. Menus and wine lists on table. Within a minute a neatly dressed great smile waitress came by and welcomed us. Told us the specials. One of my guests asked again and she was great...went into the explanation with a smile and enthusiasm! I ordered the shrimp cocktail and the sausage pizza... I know not seemingly a good combination, but it was what I was hungry for. Adventure guy ordered frogs legs (1st time) and the Crabby Sandwich. Pickey eater went for the ribs. The waitress clarified that their ribs were more ASIAN flavored than BBQ and they had a nice chat about it. Again big points. We had nice conversation. In a few minutes,..pickles in wonton skins, frogs legs and shrimp were served. Presentation and service were excellent! The shrimp cocktail is not classic in that they precook the shrimp in a flavored mixture. Cocktail sauce was excellent. Nothing to complain about, I enjoyed it but would not reorder that...just a classic guy when it comes to shrimp cocktail. Pickles in wonton wrappers got a positive review. Adventure guy was happy that he tried frogs legs, It appeared that they were perfectly cooked. He would not order them again but was happy he tried them.
Not very long after our entree's arrived. Nice plating, good looks, more drinks were ordered. We dug in. Ribs with sweet potato fries...looked good, I had a rib and I enjoyed them. Pickey eater not so much but certainly NOT the fault of the joint! Crabby Sandwich deemed excellent. Sausage pizza, 5 out of 5. Crust had just the right bite, Perfect mix of meat/cheese/sauce. One of the finer pizzas I've eaten around the world! At 13$ felt a little expensive but prices are going up all over so certainly not a complaint.
Waitress was very attentive but not clingy. Cleared our plates as we finished. Overall a GREAT EXPERIENCE. I highly recommend this place! A minor suggestion...EVERYTHING on the menu is what I call "new food" nothing is classic. Perhaps a couple of more classic things for the non adventurous would ensure that everyone in a group would be happy. 3 entree's, 3 apps, 6 drinks $111.18 with tax. left a $20.00 tip and felt I had a great experience. Do consider though that it's a noisy venue...not a place I'd take my parents to for a meal that involved important discussion! This is one of 2 places in GF that are MUST STOPS if you're visiting, and should be in your regular rotation if you are closer. Owners are honorable and caring guys, staff was over the top awesome!!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

From the moment you walk through the door, you know you're about to fall in love. The atmosphere is one from which you will never want to leave. The hosts, servers, and bartenders are fantastic. But above all else, the food is either amazing or utterly taste-bud-blowing. Taking into account that nothing on the menu is as expensive as it tastes, I can find nothing to complain with. Well, apart from their drinking age entry requirements. While I love the mature cliental this attracts, it also means I can't bring many a friend here. But it's so good, I feel less guilty for not inviting them!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

5 Canadian ladies enjoyed a birthday night out at The Toasted Frog. What a great place, our waitress was phenomenal (cant remember her name sorry) and the food and drinks were delicious and very pretty with the edible orchid. I had the Brown Butter Mahi Mahi with the Wasabi Mashed potatoes. I was so upset when my meal was done, i enjoyed it so much. Enough to try and make my own Wasabi Potatoes. Will definitely go back the next time we are in Grand Forks. Highly recommended, reminds me of a restaurant down in the Winnipeg Exchange District, great atmosphere.

1  Thank Tammie B