“Showing it's age”

Grand Forks Inn & Suites
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Grand Forks
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Our convention happened to be at this hotel. The place is not close to shopping so it encouraged people to stay at the convention. Also I found few eating places close to the hotel. Our banquet was nothing special; but I think they had to cater it in. Would I have stayed here if it wasn't the convention site? No, as I think a better value could have been found somewhere else in the city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

1. They failed to notify the public they are remodeling.
2. The front desk clerk refused to provide a handicap accessible room upon request.
3. The front desk would not answer the phones.
4. The pool was out of order.

Not a place I would return to

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 30 July 2014

It's bad enough the hotel is rundown, desperate need of an overhaul, the carpets are worn-out, filthy and should have even replaced years ago but the play area in the pool is TOTALLY UNSAFE. My 6 year-old in his first attempt tried sliding down one of two slides in the pool play area when he slipped and got his toes and foot stuck in a opening between the platform and the start of the slide. It took 10 agonizing minutes to attempt to free him while he was screaming in pain and was completely terrified. My husband and the maintenance person tried to lift the slide, then the maintenance person loosened several bolts from underneath the slide to try and free my son. Neither worked. My husband suggested a crowbar which the maintenance person ran to retrieve. After he was finally free, hotel staff first pathetically suggested giving us $50 off our hotel bill. We immediately checked out and had to initiate an incident report as staff didn't seem organized enough to think of filling one out themselves. Hotel staff, including the regional manager, who I demanded the hotel contact, never apologized for the incident or asked how my son was doing. It was absolutely appalling. Unless you are desperate, DO NOT STAY HERE and never let your kids use the play area in the pool. After our incident the hotel closed the pool play area and surrounded it with yellow caution tape. Not sure how this hotel was able to operate such an unsafe water park not to mention employ such clueless, unsympathetic staff. The only person who seemed to care and was extremely helpful was Chris, the maintenance person, who assisted in freeing my son and didn't hesitate to run into the pool when he heard my son screaming. Thank you Chris!

Room Tip: Stay any where else but here.
1  Thank CAPSS
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I allowed my spouse to pick the hotel for our first trip together to Grand Forks. I had stated I wanted a hotel near shopping areas. If you are looking for a hotel nearest to shopping-- do not choose this hotel. While it is a short 10 minute drive away, it really had nothing around it. We only intended to use the hotel for sleep which is exactly what we did.

We had to have our room changed within 5 minutes of getting there as the room smelled horrible and the toilet was broken. After waiting 20 minutes for someone to come and fix it we decided to go down there for ourselves. They promptly got us a new room. One thing to note is that this hotel is not handicap friendly-- there are no elevators. Our hotel room was not equipped with a fridge or a microwave. There was a fair amount of mold on the ceiling of the bathroom. At one point a half naked woman was standing outside upon coming back to the hotel after seeing a late movie. This hotel is more geared towards truckers.

However the water pressure was great, the bed was comfortable and the A/C worked very well which made for a great nights sleep! It also has free wifi too.

Room Tip: No elevator service for second floor rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I, Grandar, had won a free night’s stay at the Howard Johnson in Grand Forks. After reading some of the reviews, I was not sure if I should celebrate or decline the prize. However, being of a thrifty nature, I decided to save a few toonies and utilize my prize. After all, I figured, how bad could it be? So, I and my intrepid crew, daughter, granddaughter, aged terrible twos and 7 month old baby grandson decided to brave it! We were pleasantly surprised! The HOJO staff was very friendly and efficient. We asked for a crib for the baby and a lovely new “play and pack” was delivered to our room immediately. The air conditioning worked well, the beds were comfy and the water pressure in the shower was more than adequate. I suppose the water park could use a paint job but the families who were enjoying the water slides, pool and huge hot tub seemed to mind, not a whit, about the slightly faded paint. The breakfast buffet, which included fresh fruit, waffles and other goodies was very tasty. All in all, we had a great time and would certainly return as paying guests.

1  Thank Grandar
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Everything was really nice but one problem. When we walked into the room, there were crumbs on the floor so the person vacuuming missed the entrance to the room. Other than that, the rest of the room was clean and nice. The continental breakfast was good and the person in charge kept cleaning up the breakfast areas which was nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business